Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CityJet Paris comes to Shannon

Options
  • 14-12-2007 2:30pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A new daily service from Shannon Airport to Charles De Gaulle airport in Paris is to start next February when CityJet begins a new route.

The move has been welcomed by political and business leaders in the Mid-West, in the wake of the announcement by Aer Lingus that it is to end its long-established Shannon-Heathrow service by January 13. Contd.>>>

This is great news for the region, but I do hope it doesn't mean that all hope of getting a Heathrow route for Shannon has been abandodned.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

There are 250 or so connections available in CDG, only 160 or so in LHR.

Great news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Having listened to the politicians welcoming the announcement on the radio, I think it's VERY important that we don't let them off the hook on their cock-ups just because Shannon has gotten a "substitute" service.

Regardless of how welcome this announcement is, the fact is that when they were required the policiticans in the Mid-West reneged on their responsibilities to represent the region and abandoned us, towing the line and voting with Bertie & the rest of them.

Shannon might survive based on this, but with no thanks to those two-faced idiots who claimed "we'll do everything" and then did nothing.

Hopefully the voting public will not forget that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Having listened to the politicians welcoming the announcement on the radio, I think it's VERY important that we don't let them off the hook on their cock-ups just because Shannon has gotten a "substitute" service.

Regardless of how welcome this announcement is, the fact is that when they were required the policiticans in the Mid-West reneged on their responsibilities to represent the region and abandoned us, towing the line and voting with Bertie & the rest of them.

Shannon might survive based on this, but with no thanks to those two-faced idiots who claimed "we'll do everything" and then did nothing.

Hopefully the voting public will not forget that.

CJ have my very best wishes and I would encourage everyone to support them ....

For staff going out and returning to Shannon I have no doubt the Paris connection will provide just as good connections (in some cases better) than LHR ..... for our own operation I doubt it will help in getting our visitors easily to Shannon in more than 20% of the trips ..... it could well be less than 10% ..... they will either lump it through other means or simply not come at all .....

I think I have said it before ...... for our own operation, without the LHR connection we would never have come to Shannon ...... for the future I have no doubt that many potential new projects will come to the same view .... :(

Will our family connections ever forget the Privatization promises made re LHR slots and the total failure to honour those promises ...... never; not in 100 years .....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Very welcome news indeed and fair is fair, the package the Governmnet put together made it possible. Let's hope Shannon Management learned some lessons from this - strange that Noel Dempsey was on hand for the announcemnt. His handlers must only pass him the "good news" to him.

I think this a great day for Shannon and the Western & Mid-West Regions in particular. In my view it was always about onwards connections not getting to London - we had Ryainair flying into Standstead for that and at half the cost.

With Cityjet flying to CDG we might get a bit of competition on prices to Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

Just had a look at the prices....€712 one way....I hope thats not for real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

lasno wrote: »
    Hoping to hell thats a typo

Great news though, im sure the government are subsidising it
    best news the shannon region has got in a long time

lasno wrote: »

What dates were you checking - I tried earlier this evening for the 6Ns week-end in February and they were €115 each way.

1huge1 wrote: »
    Hoping to hell thats a typo

Great news though, im sure the government are subsidising it
    best news the shannon region has got in a long time

I wouldn't mind if they paid the crews wages and all the fuel Bills .... after all they gave Aer Lingus almost a Billion Euro's worth of LHR slots for nothing !!!! .... so a few more euros wont do any harm .... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

phog wrote: »
    Very welcome news indeed and fair is fair, the package the Governmnet put together made it possible. Let's hope Shannon Management learned some lessons from this - strange that Noel Dempsey was on hand for the announcemnt. His handlers must only pass him the "good news" to him.

I think this a great day for Shannon and the Western & Mid-West Regions in particular. In my view it was always about onwards connections not getting to London - we had Ryainair flying into Standstead for that and at half the cost.

With Cityjet flying to CDG we might get a bit of competition on prices to Paris.

Probalbly because Dempsey was in volved in the negotiations...you ask for a connection get a better one and ye're still f*cking whinging...not all of you to be honest, but Christ some of you can't see the wood for the trees!!

ninty9er wrote: »
    Probalbly because Dempsey was in volved in the negotiations...you ask for a connection get a better one and ye're still f*cking whinging...not all of you to be honest, but Christ some of you can't see the wood for the trees!!

Read all my post, I did fair is fair to the government - my point (not whinging) about Dempsey was he was quick on hand for the good news but we waited for a government response to the AL withdrawal for what seemed like an eternity.

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    Read all my post, I did fair is fair to the government - my point (not whinging) about Dempsey was he was quick on hand for the good news but we waited for a government response to the AL withdrawal for what seemed like an eternity.

Read all mine...I said not everybody was whinging and was referring to you in that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Great news!
    I know that the Ryanair flight to Paris (beauvais) is very popular so now you'll be able to fly from shannon to CDG which is far more central and has better connections to the city

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Sorry nintyniner, but I think you missed a spot while licking Bertie Ahernes shoes!!!!!

Tell you what, I'll go up to you, kick you in the nuts, and then apoligise afterwards.

There.

Everything better!

Sorry nintyniner, but I think you missed a spot while licking Bertie Ahernes shoes!!!!!

Tell you what, I'll go up to you, kick you in the nuts, and then apoligise afterwards.

There.

Everything better!

Well said, Karma......and I have my doubts that it was only Bertie's shoes that were being licked.....

Fact is that the Government shafted Shannon on the original withdrawal, and their apathy and inaction showed contempt. If they've contributed to the new service, then fair play on some level, but it is NOT a substitute and it DOES NOT earn them forgiveness for their earlier attitude.

I had a Christmas card from my TD today ..... the guy we voted into power ..... I don't know why he would send it ..... our house will never vote for them ever again .... :mad:

Well said, Karma......and I have my doubts that it was only Bertie's shoes that were being licked.....

Fact is that the Government shafted Shannon on the original withdrawal, and their apathy and inaction showed contempt. If they've contributed to the new service, then fair play on some level, but it is NOT a substitute and it DOES NOT earn them forgiveness for their earlier attitude.

Hold on....the government says it will find a hub for worldwide business....CDG is at least 90 destinations ahead of LHR on that score.

On the London issue, there is an airport no to far from central London, 30 minutes by bus I beleive, called Stansted. Can ANYONE tell me why this won't substitute in the "I need to go to London" category as CDG covers the "I need to get a connecting flight" category.

Check it out...I know you don't want to believe it, but it's TRUE

Nothing going on in the background, as I said on another website, Enda Kenny could be raping a 14 year old during his televised Ard-Fheis speech and half the country wouldn't notice because they'd be too busy thinking of more mud to sling at Fianna Fáil

Nothing going on in the background, as I said on another website, Enda Kenny could be raping a 14 year old during his televised Ard-Fheis speech and half the country wouldn't notice because they'd be too busy thinking of more mud to sling at Fianna Fáil

What a load of bollox.....and it's typical of FF's siege mentality......THEY cock up or fail to act on promises and when it's pointed out they say they're being picked on.

Yes, FF are in a position, by being in Government, to do something or not, while Opposition parties aren't. So the focus will be on FF. If FG or anyone else were in power and made the same number of cock-ups, we'd be entitled to highlight those too.

But your post is completely ludicrous, throwing an attempted slur at Enda Kenny and insulting the public by saying they'd ignore such a hypothetical scenario - to the point where it casts a doubt on any earlier and apparently valid points that you might have made.

Stick to facts and so on, I'll agree as necessary; but throw in paranoia and insulting slurs and you'll see an awful lot of replies that contain the "rolleyes" icon.......

What a load of bollox

Stick to facts and so on, I'll agree as necessary; but throw in paranoia and insulting slurs and you'll see an awful lot of replies that contain the "rolleyes" icon.......

So you'll be the first to mount a campaign for him to return the 28 years salary he drew from the Department of Education before become FG leader??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

What a load of bollox.....and it's typical of FF's siege mentality......THEY cock up or fail to act on promises and when it's pointed out they say they're being picked on.

Yes, FF are in a position, by being in Government, to do something or not, while Opposition parties aren't. So the focus will be on FF. If FG or anyone else were in power and made the same number of cock-ups, we'd be entitled to highlight those too.

But your post is completely ludicrous, throwing an attempted slur at Enda Kenny and insulting the public by saying they'd ignore such a hypothetical scenario - to the point where it casts a doubt on any earlier and apparently valid points that you might have made.

Stop turning this into a political thread...

And Liam Byrne your not exactly in the position to stop ninty9er from saying something insulting after you saying

'Well said Karma'' after his comment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Placid Casual

the bus ride to beauvaus is some pain in the hole!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

On the London issue, there is an airport no to far from central London, 30 minutes by bus I beleive, called Stansted. Can ANYONE tell me why this won't substitute in the "I need to go to London" category as CDG covers the "I need to get a connecting flight" category.

A) You are underestimating the distance between Stansted and central London. It is 45 minutes on the Stansted Express train and 90 minutes on the bus.

B) Many companies holding meetings in London at which international colleagues will be attending hold the meetings at conference centres in the Heathrow region. Which is on the exact opposite side of London from Stansted, which is actually in Essex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 vanessas

the bus ride to beauvaus is some pain in the hole!

Just to say that if it is not for connection purpose at CDG it might be worthwile to compare with Ryanair via beauvais.
    Indeed, i'm used to commute via CDG and to go to Beauvais too and I find Beauvais far more practical to go to Paris (and Im not talking about the prices).
    First CDG is badly indicated (I'm french and I still manage to get lost sometimes).
    Secondly, it takes until 45 minutes to get your luggage when it is very quick in Beauvais.
    From Beauvais, to go to Paris the shuttle is just behind the door from the luggage area while in CDG it is just a nightmare !
    Beauvais shuttle take 1h15 for 13 euros and leave you at Porte maillot where there is plenty of taxis and the most efficient underground line (line number 1).
    At CDG or you take the shuttle (that you have to find first ! good luck..- cost around 10 euros - time 1h but can be really more if traffic as it is a busy motorway) and you have to queue for ages to buy your ticket.
    Otherwise you take the underground (good luck to find it too - depending on the terminal) and then you have the risk to be attacked or robbed if you do not take the direct underground to paris gare du nord (45 min - 8 to 10 euros) as the other one is stopping at very tough areas where the local business is to rob tourists !

I certainly to not want to give fright to people and I do not promote Ryanair either (I have the feeling that Ryanair since 2 years are turning into arrogant and rude - they exploit their staff and their system of priority boarding prior families is sick...) but I just wanted to give my point of view.
    And I do not appreciate either the shuttle company from Beauvais but for all the reasons above...

good we.:)

vanessas wrote: »
    Just to say that if it is not for connection purpose at CDG it might be worthwile to compare with Ryanair via beauvais.
    Indeed, i'm used to commute via CDG and to go to Beauvais too and I find Beauvais far more practical to go to Paris (and Im not talking about the prices).
    First CDG is badly indicated (I'm french and I still manage to get lost sometimes).
    Secondly, it takes until 45 minutes to get your luggage when it is very quick in Beauvais.
    From Beauvais, to go to Paris the shuttle is just behind the door from the luggage area while in CDG it is just a nightmare !
    Beauvais shuttle take 1h15 for 13 euros and leave you at Porte maillot where there is plenty of taxis and the most efficient underground line (line number 1).
    At CDG or you take the shuttle (that you have to find first ! good luck..- cost around 10 euros - time 1h but can be really more if traffic as it is a busy motorway) and you have to queue for ages to buy your ticket.
    Otherwise you take the underground (good luck to find it too - depending on the terminal) and then you have the risk to be attacked or robbed if you do not take the direct underground to paris gare du nord (45 min - 8 to 10 euros) as the other one is stopping at very tough areas where the local business is to rob tourists !

I certainly to not want to give fright to people and I do not promote Ryanair either (I have the feeling that Ryanair since 2 years are turning into arrogant and rude - they exploit their staff and their system of priority boarding prior families is sick...) but I just wanted to give my point of view.
    And I do not appreciate either the shuttle company from Beauvais but for all the reasons above...

good we.:)

Thanks for this info - must keep it in mind when travelling to Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The shuttle bus from CDG to Opera was 90 mins one evening last Sept., I would try a train the next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

vanessas wrote: »

their system of priority boarding prior families is sick...

Can't agree with that at all. If you want priority boarding it takes a couple of minutes to check in on line and print a boarding pass. Flew Shannon to Dublin(excellent service by the way..much better than a train or bus) recently and onwards from Dub with Ryanair and it was simple as could be to do this. They are a low cost airline (a real one..not like Aer Lingus) and are using this system to encourage people to check in online and bring less baggage. People bringing masses of luggage for a two day trip is what they are trying to stop and queing for check ins. Ryanair staff were extremely helpful on both flights to passengers with young kids. For value and ease of the whole thing I'd fly Ryanair anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

PS i dont work for them or any other Airline/Airport. Just that the whole internet check in/service/flights were excellent for the money. You are not going to get Aer Lingus service but you are not paying their ridiculous not so low cost fares either.
    Cost me 9.99 all in to fly to Dublin and we arrived 20 minutes early in Dublin. Same day on Aer Lingus was 60 one way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 vanessas

vkid wrote: »
    Can't agree with that at all. If you want priority boarding it takes a couple of minutes to check in on line and print a boarding pass. Flew Shannon to Dublin(excellent service by the way..much better than a train or bus) recently and onwards from Dub with Ryanair and it was simple as could be to do this. They are a low cost airline (a real one..not like Aer Lingus) and are using this system to encourage people to check in online and bring less baggage. People bringing masses of luggage for a two day trip is what they are trying to stop and queing for check ins. Ryanair staff were extremely helpful on both flights to passengers with young kids. For value and ease of the whole thing I'd fly Ryanair anywhere.

I know that it is a low cost company but they do not give seat number on purpose to save time on boarding as it was proven that people are so stress that they jump on the first empty seat instead of looking for their seat number.
    Fair enough, but and on the other hand they use this "stress" to make you pay 8 euros by adult if you want to be sure to be seated next to your family.
    Years ago I remember that families were boarded in priority - and it was working perfectly well ! Now people who can pay 8 euros more go first and the others after (I'm not talking about check and go system that you can have for free if you have no luggage to check-in and if you register previously on internet)
    I have no children but I realise that it is tiring to have to care of children and all the bags while you are travelling...that's why i'm a bit disappointed by this new system, it is money, money system now (I might be a bit naive ok...)

I do agree that AER lingus deserve the oscar as they make you pay full price for low cost services - exept maybe for the seat number ! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

And I thought this discussion was about Cityjet to CDG.

Advertisement