Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Albums Of 2007 - Good, Bad, & Disappointing:Please Submit Yours

Options
  • 14-12-2007 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭

Okay, as far as I'm concerned 2007 was a pretty crap one for music, some good albums came out, but they were few and far between. There was the odd diamond in the rough in many albums, but one song doesn't make an album. Here is my list of personal list of the good, bad and disappointing records of 2007:

Good

Queens Of The Stone Age - Era Vulgaris - Hypnotic weirdness
    Eddie Vedder - Into The Wild OST - Short inventive brilliance
    Jimmy Eat World - Chase This Light - Great hooks, with good pop sensibilities

Bad

Velvet Revolver - Libertad - Sounds like Bon Jovi Applying For Credibility
    Chris Cornell - Carry On - Yeah This Is What Happens When you Don't Restrain Yourself A Little

Disappointing

Foo Fighters - ESP&G - Tired LP No. 3 (In A Row) from Bland Shouty Young Homer Simpson & Co.
    Smashing Pumpkins - Zeitgeist - Not Crap, just really tiresome at times
    Arcade Fire - Neon Bible - Okay I'm prob gonna come under charges of heresy for this one...look i loved Funeral, this wasn't as innovative, some really standout tracks, but as a whole a little underwhelming.

Please submit your choices :)

P.S. I have yet to listen fully to, The Boss, Radiohead, Rihanna, Michael Buble, The Killers etc. When I've listened to them I'll submit my thoughts on them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The Great:

Biffy Clyro - Puzzle

The Average:

Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
    Interpol - Our Love To Admire

The Disappointing:

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Xavi6 wrote: »

The Disappointing:

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

You mean favourite worst nightmare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The Great
    Nightwish - Dark Passion Play
    Epica - The Divine Conspiracy
    Within Temptation - The Howling

The Average
    HIM - Venus Doom

The Disappointing
    Sirenia - Nine Destinies and a Downfall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

The Great
    Wilco-Sky Blue Sky
    Ryan Adams- Easy Tiger
    Britney Spears-Blackout
    Spoon- Ga Ga Ga

The bad
    Radiohead-In Rainbows
    That piece of **** by the Kooks
    Amy Whinehouse- Back to Black

The Disappointing
    Arcade Fire-Neon Bible
    Bright Eyes- Cassadaga

Wilco - Sky Blue Sky. Was my favourite of the year but when you consider the 4 before it was a big step down

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The Good
    * Aereogramme - My Heart has a wish that you would not go (shame they broke up)
    * Reuben - In nothing we trust (jaw droppingly good)
    * Bloc Party - A weekend in the city (decent enough to get a mention)
    * Tellison - Contact! Contact!
    * Rivers Cuomo - Alone: The home recordings of Rivers Cuomo (i've waited 6 years to hear one track on this album (superfriend) and it didn't disappoint)
    * YOURCODENAMEIS:MILO - They came from the sun (shame they broke up as well)

The Disappointing
    * Biffy Clyro - Puzzle (way over simplified no hooks, gets boring fast)
    * Bright Eyes- Cassadaga (too bluegrassy tbh)
    * Jimmy Eat World - Chase this light (as if futures wasn't cheesy enough this tops it off with a cherry on top)
    * Idlewild - Make another world (like Biffy Clyro, it's a major snorefest, a shadow of the band they once were).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Amy Whinehouse- Back to Black
    Don't know why you decided to put a H in there, her name as it stands is quite apt considering her antics. Some great songs on that album too.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

:| wrote: »
    You mean favourite worst nightmare?

Yes my bad. Cheers.
    Cremo wrote: »
    The Disappointing
    * Biffy Clyro - Puzzle (way over simplified no hooks, gets boring fast)
    * Bright Eyes- Cassadaga (too bluegrassy tbh)
    * Jimmy Eat World - Chase this light (as if futures wasn't cheesy enough this tops it off with a cherry on top)
    * Idlewild - Make another world (like Biffy Clyro, it's a major snorefest, a shadow of the band they once were).

Wow these would be all in my good section! Well except JEW.

I understand why older Biffy fans wouldn't like Puzzle but I think it's excellent.

The 'bluegrass' as you call it of Cassadaga is pretty cool and it's a nice chill out album.

Chase the Light isn't great by any means but I wouldn't class it as disappointing as it was kinda to be expected.

Surprised you don't like Idlewild's album. Songs like 'No Emotion' and 'In Competition For The Worst Time' would be at home on any of the early albums and they still know how to write a good melody.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The Good:

The Deep Blue- Charlotte Hatherley
    In Rainbows-Radiohead
    Year Zero-NIN

I understand why older Biffy fans wouldn't like Puzzle but I think it's excellent.
    yeh it's more of a disappointment for me really, a lot of factors pissed me off about it, it was recorded and mixed and ready for release in January of this year, but was held up by the artwork, and to have a ****ty Storm Design Studios cover to delay an album for six months, quite literally takes the piss. i had also heard a lot of the songs from going to their concerts, the likes of semi-mental/living is a problem.../as dust dances/get ****ed stud/love has a diameter/now i'm everyone/who's got a match were nothing new to me. Good thing about biffy though is that their motto is "we don't want to repeat ourselves" so we'll hopefully get something different next time around.
    Chase the Light isn't great by any means but I wouldn't class it as disappointing as it was kinda to be expected.
    perhaps i should stop expecting JEW to repeat a "static prevails" or "clarity".

Surprised you don't like Idlewild's album. Songs like 'No Emotion' and 'In Competition For The Worst Time' would be at home on any of the early albums and they still know how to write a good melody.
    i was more disappointed with idlewild when i saw the video of "if it takes you home" on their website, it got me totally hyped for the album, it was like they returned to the golden years of "100 broken windows" but i was wrong :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Great:
    Radiohead-In Rainbows
    Arcade Fire-Neon Bible
    Iron & Wine-The Shepherds Dog
    Spoon-Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga

The Bad:
    Queens of The Stone Age - Era Vulgaris (pants-lost their way)

Disappointing
    Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before ...Sank (not a patch on Good News...)
    Kings Of Leon-Because of the Times (Fairly patchy)
    Ben Harper-Lifeline
    Underworld-Oblivion with Bells (big disappointment)
    Super Furry Animals-Hey Venus (too poppy, get back to the trippy experimental stuff)
    Wilco - Sky Blue Sky (weak compared to Ghost and Yankee Hotel)
    Tommy Fleming - Voice of Hope (i expected better Tommy)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I'd urge ya to go back and listen to that modest mouse record properly and maybe Wilco too. The MM one especially, Spitting Venom is one of their best songs and the overall record is very strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 thepoopatorium

Lists are fun.

Click me for my choices.

Omissions, criticisms?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

kings of leon - because of the times

&

arctic monkeys - favorite worst nightmare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Justice and Beirut, great call.

Can I vote for an EP?

Jape is Grape

Fair enough Ship Was Dead is a good album. They just set such a high standard on the previous album. Love that song alright, along with Missed The Boat, Fire It Up. Some of it is a bit samey though, with repetitive lyrics on a lot of songs.

As for Wilco, I'm a big fan. I can see from your sig that you are too, but I find it hard to get excited about Sky Blue Sky. Disappointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 thepoopatorium

not sure about the new arctic monkeys, but the kings of leon album was pretty damn good.

and i loooove jape (the best track is the first remix..). whelans new years party here i come..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

I like Arctic Monkeys but I just find Kings of Leon boring. All my mates think they're great.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Even after hearing the songs live? I was a little dissappointed at first but after the gigs last month, i'm converted. Nels Cline is an amazing talent and Blue Sky Blue keeps getting better for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

fluke wrote: »
    Okay, as far as I'm concerned 2007 was a pretty crap one for music, some good albums came out, but they were few and far between. There was the odd diamond in the rough in many albums, but one song doesn't make an album. Here is my list of personal list of the good, bad and disappointing records of 2007:

Good

Queens Of The Stone Age - Era Vulgaris - Hypnotic weirdness
    Eddie Vedder - Into The Wild OST - Short inventive brilliance
    Jimmy Eat World - Chase This Light - Great hooks, with good pop sensibilities

Bad

Velvet Revolver - Libertad - Sounds like Bon Jovi Applying For Credibility
    Chris Cornell - Carry On - Yeah This Is What Happens When you Don't Restrain Yourself A Little

Disappointing

Foo Fighters - ESP&G - Tired LP No. 3 (In A Row) from Bland Shouty Young Homer Simpson & Co.
    Smashing Pumpkins - Zeitgeist - Not Crap, just really tiresome at times
    Arcade Fire - Neon Bible - Okay I'm prob gonna come under charges of heresy for this one...look i loved Funeral, this wasn't as innovative, some really standout tracks, but as a whole a little underwhelming.

Please submit your choices :)

P.S. I have yet to listen fully to, The Boss, Radiohead, Rihanna, Michael Buble, The Killers etc. When I've listened to them I'll submit my thoughts on them.

More Disappointing Ones:

The White Stripes - Icky Thump - Jammin', but no structure.
    Avril Lavigne - TBDT - Half a decent pop album
    Interpol - OLTA - Yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

The Good:

Radiohead - In Rainbows
    Beirut - Flying Club Cup
    LCD Soundststem - Sound Of Silver
    Interpol - Our Love To Admire
    Feist - The Reminder
    The National - Boxer
    UNKLE - War Stories
    Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare
    Kings Of Leon - Because Of The Times

The Bad

Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace
    Kaiser Chiefs - Yours Truly Angry Mob
    Smashing Pumpkins - Zeitgest
    Alot of crap Ive forgotten about too but these stick out

Dissapointing

Bloc Party - A Weekend In The City
    Arcade Fire - Neon Bible (it pains me to put this here but its not as good as it should have been)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

PJ Harveys White Chalk is great sounds like shes been listening to Anthony & the Johnsons and Vasti Bunyan a lot and something else I can't put my finger on which makes it spinetinglydingly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Hector Gilbert

Top five:
    1. Person Pitch
    2. Mirrored
    3. Hissing Fauna
    4. Night Falls Over Kortedala
    5. Kala

Bottom five:

5. 8 Diagrams
    4. Zeitgeist
    3. Summer in Nagasaki
    2. Höstluft
    1. Pullhair Rubeye

Out of around seventy heard

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

disappointing - kings of leon (lot of muck songs on this, but a few classics also), interpol...fairly boring album.

arcade fire - didn't like at 1st much but now one of my favs of the year

album of year: robert plant/alison krauss - i know it's all covers but it's damn gud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

I forgot Mirrored by Battles in my good list. Probably listened to this more than any other album this year. Saw them live 3 times too. They are a savage band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Best
    Porcupine Tree - Fear of A Blank Planet. Album of the year IMO.
    Paradise Lost - In Requiem. Back to their best at last
    Marilyn Manson - Eat Me, Drink Me. I was well impressed,still hear Alice Coopers' influence.
    Dimmu Borgir - In Sorti Diaboli. Fantastic.
    Apocalyptica- Worlds Collide. Great album with great guest stars.

Disappointing.
    Chris Cornell - Carry On. I was expecting another Euphoria Morning. How wrong I was!
    Korn - untitled. Got bored quickly.
    Megadeth - United Abominations. Again got bored quickly
    ween - La Cucaracha. I love ween but this doesnt have the bite previous albums did.

Bad.
    QOTSA - Era Vulgaris. Just did nothing for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'm utterly astounded no one has mentioned Plant and Krauss's Raising Sands yet. has to be one of the best albums of the year for me. some brilliant harmonies on it, their voices go great together. really worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

No love for The National?

The Arcade Fire, The National, Cunninlynguists, EL-P and Tracey Thorn are the best 5 albums this year for me. Spoon and Jens Lekman deserve some plaudits as well.

The Bjork album was the big let down.

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    I forgot Mirrored by Battles in my good list. Probably listened to this more than any other album this year. Saw them live 3 times too. They are a savage band.
    was a great album but by year end i was kind of growing tired of the odd vocal style reminds me of that eastern european dance music vocals.

still a good album and should be added to my list.

Yep-that battles vocal style pisses me off too. Ruins the songs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Maps, Menomena, Battles and Aparrat top my list in that order. All produced fantastic albums.

Pretty good surprise was St. Vincent's latest offering, Marry Me... also after a while on the shelf Arcade Fire's Neon Bible is getting a bit more play.. bit of a grower.

I'll again echo the poorness of Interpol's offering.. its 10% topnotch, 90% meh.

Advertisement