Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to Panic

Options
  • 14-12-2007 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

Right so, I've just had the new parts arrive for my upgrade (first one), what I have is:

XFX GeForce 8800GT 512mb
    ABIT IN9 32X-Max Wifi nForce 680i
    Intel Core Duo E6850 3.0 Ghz
    OCZ Gold Xtc DDR2 PC6400 4096MB
    Corsair 620W power supply

I opened the box and the first thing I thought is how the hell is all that going to fit in my case (it's an Xblade). Assuming it does and I manage to put it together correctly I have a question on when I first boot up. Seeing as I'm keeping my current hard drive which has XP on it will it boot up to windows or send me in to the BIOS (which I know very little about). If it goes straight to windows will it be ok seeing as I won't have loaded any drivers, my current hardware is an ASUS A8N-Sli and the processor is an AMD.

Any help as to what to do after the build or to be pointed to a nice easy guide would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I did exactly the same as you! Upgraded my old P4 system to a Q6600 system with the same case and HDDs. After installing everything I booted up, XP started loading and, surprise, surprise, BSOD... Had to format. I'm pretty sure you will have to.

Back-up everything you need before you upgrade all the hardware! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

If it doesn't boot to windows just boot from the XP CD and run a repair on the current installation.
    I would recommend though that you backup and install a fresh OS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

something to do with mother board drivers or something like that i think. i format will fix it all

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

I never thought of backing up and have never done it before. By back up am I right in saying back up to a cd/dvd? and any clever tips on how to back up 100gbs of music games and films? and is there an easy function in xp to do it easily?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

just get an external hard drive then ctrl+c -> ctrl+v :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

You don't actually really need to format the system.

1st thing to do is too boot off the windows xp cd and try too repair the windows installion.

If that fails then simply installed windows again too another folder say called winxp2 or something...and continue the installation without doing a format.

This way you will end up with 2 windows on the system but you will also have full access too all your data so you can either back it all up and to a fresh reinstall or keep the system with 2 operating systems on the hard disk.

This is called a parrallel install and will get you out of a sweat if it is important information.

Advertisement