Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College life in Dublin these days

Options
  • 14-12-2007 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭

Having a discussion with a trainee about "the good old days".

Rent for a piss poor bedsit was 25 quid or up to 40 for a decent shared gaff within walking distance of town.

Grant was 38 quid a week

Ten pack of smokes was around 1.50.

Pints were around the quid mark...no one drank shorts .... as far as i remember not even the best off had a car.

If one of the group had money we all got drunk, everyone got locked grant day.

I graduated in '95 so was wondering what's the biggest changes now?

Oh yeah, not one of us had a student loan either......better or worse off now cause the way i hear it these guys are out every night and it's not pints it's bombers, and cocktails costing mental money.

Just wondering where the money comes from.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Solarball10

Lol...well I couldn't tell ya what college life is DUB is like, but I can tell ya what college life in GALWAY was like....

rent 50 quid a week
    Grant was 50 quid a week
    Pints a quid? REALLY?! Woweee...erm anyway pint €4

The grant is a fairly big amount now for some people anyway, and most students probably work part-time, (I didn't myself, I was a good saver!) so that's where the extra money comes from I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

themadchef wrote: »

I graduated in '95 so was wondering what's the biggest changes now?

Mature students. They're going to college to get educated, not drunk, and are showing up the leaving cert kids (immature students :D ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Maybe i'm remebering it with rose tinted glasses, the older you get the cheaper the drink was ...........maybe it was 2 quid........but it was very cheap in student type bars

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I remember those days as well. Was paying 40 a week to share a 5 bedroom house in Limerick city, lunch was a 50p roll and we would be knocking back pints for £1 in Feathery Burkes or there was a great 1£ for a different shot every 15 mins in the the loft, then off to get legless in docs followed by a slap up meal in Kranks.... bring back the 90's :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

happy hours were allowed back then aswell :mad:
    now its the same as any night out in dublin..4-5€ a pint and stupid niteclub charges!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

there are places in dublin where you can get pints for €3, granted it's fosters/bavaria muck but not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

Ahh I remember £2 drinks in the palace in Dublin, the music was kicking and the crowd was horny. You had Pegs on a monday night also, the drinks were only £1, and when the euro came in they were only €1 for a short while. After 2002 when the euro came in, prices generally rocketed, and student life in Dublin went rubbish compared to what it had been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I'm hungover and depressed having had a really shítty night last night, so my opinion is probably skewed. But I'm a student, and yeah, it sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

My rent three years ago, when I was in first year, was 150 a week, then down to 115 in second, at 85 a week now, which is great, but the house is a dump. First place was lovely.

Pints are 4-5 quid, we just drink cans most of the time. Spirits are handy, but I don't drink'em. College athmosphere in the evening is best for me, but I think that's down to the college moreso than anything else.

No grant nor loan here, thank feic about not having a loan to pay back.

Don't go out every night, Thursday would be the biggest, then a few back at home on a Friday when I do go home. Only really stay out late for special occasions or sessions these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    I'm hungover and depressed having had a really shítty night last night, so my opinion is probably skewed. But I'm a student, and yeah, it sucks.
    ditto, still picking shards of glass out of the soles of my shoes, two guesses where i was, i keep saying never again :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Graduated from UCG in 2003 and could see the place changing pretty quickly over the five years I was there. For my first three years I would have been out almost every night of the week and in the last two that tailed off to about 3/4 nights a week. The younger brother is just finishing up his degree there and only seems to go out once a week. The Alcohol Policy killed the craic (I'd still take it over any of the Dublin Uni's though!).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Maybe i'm remebering it with rose tinted glasses, the older you get the cheaper the drink was ...........maybe it was 2 quid........but it was very cheap in student type bars

DCU bar was £1.93 in '94. Think it was about 2.20 in town. Remember somewhere being 2.50 and thinking that's a rip off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

It used to be £1.65 a pint in the USI bar in 93ish

The good old days in Dublin include expensive everything in general. It only seems cheap now. Most students worked and those renting lived in hovels that they thought were expensive.

The moaning is nothing new and people did say things were better in the 80s then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,382 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

The Purty Kitchen for starting nights out...€3 a pint before 8 o' clock. Anywhere after that can be done relatively cheaply(Monday to Thursday). Thats the nightlife of students now.

Everything else is crazy prices ie. Rent, not getting grants for ages

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

MOH wrote: »
    DCU bar was £1.93 in '94. Think it was about 2.20 in town. Remember somewhere being 2.50 and thinking that's a rip off

i remember it to be 2.02 for a lager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Just guessing...
    A job, perhaps combined with living at home, or in one of paw-paw and mumsys' properties in Dublin -> no rent? Or top ups from mumsy's bank account? :D
    ozzyoh wrote:
    Lol...well I couldn't tell ya what college life is DUB is like, but I can tell ya what college life in GALWAY was like....
    Sleepy wrote:
    Graduated from UCG in 2003 and could see the place changing pretty quickly over the five years I was there.

Eh, this is the Dublin City forum (covers head)...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

Worked my arse off during the summer.
    Cremo wrote: »
    ditto, still picking shards of glass out of the soles of my shoes, two guesses where i was, i keep saying never again :mad:

I'm guessing Quinns or Coppers.

Advertisement