Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband In East Cork Today Issues

Options
  • 14-12-2007 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

2am this morning, surfing the net in bed, wirelessy on the laptop. This morning everything is slow, cant send attachments, time outs all over the place. Spent the last 3 hours on the phone to Eircom techs who in fairness done alot including flushing out dns etc.etc. They dont see a problem on their end, so Im wondering is anyone in the East Cork loop, Cobh in particular having any difficulties. As of this moment in time, the net is working, barely!

Ipod touch wont connect to the net, neither will my desktop PC. Ive plugged the modem out of the router and directly into the ethernet port in the laptop and still the same result. Either the modem is buggered, Eircom say its fine or there is a line issue somewhere. Im about to start pulling out my hair

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

yeah im in cobh as well and im having a lot of problems today , i just did a reinstall of vista with sp1 and i thought i had fecked something up , its like an indicator one minute you have broadband the next its gone again nice to know its not just me, i think i'll go to open dns and see how that works out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Steven_in_Cork

Hi,

im based in Cobh too.
    Same issue, very slow internet, time outs, uploads almost impossible.
    I have spoken to about 10-15 people across all wired DSL providers, with same problems.
    Annoying was tho that i got up this morning, coffee in hand and reconfiguring my whole network including router firmware updates etc.
    I was late going to work lol.

hope they sort this out soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭wiseolsham

Thank God its not just me so..sorry. I spent most of my one day off on the phone to Eircom. They've now decided to send out a new modem, although looking at the ye're posts folks, thats not gonna make an ounce of difference.

They swore to me that there is not a problem down around Cobh :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

Hi,
    I have spoken to about 10-15 people across all wired DSL providers, with same problems.
    They all have the same problems because nationwide, eircom has a monopoly covering 95% of the DSL market.

The "competitors" just re-sell the wholesale eircom broadband connection. There is no competition, aside from a handful of RSUs that have token loop unbundling in place.

Broadband in Ireland is among the slowest in Europe. And the most expensive. And when eircom has a breakdown, everyone else is down.

A total con.

.probe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I wonder if this thread explains why watching Youtube vidoes today suddenly involves buffering every few seconds ..... never experienced it before .... only way to watch a video is let it download slowly and go back to it later .... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

In Cobh too and I thought it was just me. Boards barely works. Seems to be an intermittent connection. Is everybody else still suffering from the same thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 daveboy

i'm also in cobh, But i'm with BT and have been having problems too. I spent the last few days re installing, fecking about with routers etc.. should have come here first.

I wonder is it a problem with the cobh exchange??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

yeah an intermittent connection and the connection even when connected is only a quarter of what it should be , i wonder if eircom have admitted if there is a problem ?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭_Nuno_

I am also in Cobh and have the same problem. Spoke to tech support Friday and they just told me to reset the modem. After the reset the connection was working OK so I thought that was it, but a few minutes latter everything was the same.

Eircom has to be the worst provider I have ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

LOL I'm in Cobh too on a 2meg BT line and it's taken me 5 attempts just to post this reply. I've been cursing my router, modem, laptop and neighbours. :D

Oh and :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

I just got word from a contact in eircom that there is definitely an issue with the DSLAM in Cobh. Not sure why they took so long to spot this, but at least they are working on it now and you are all aware that this is not something wrong with your lines.
    I'll give you an update if or when I hear something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sideshowsue

Grommet wrote: »
    I just got word from a contact in eircom that there is definitely an issue with the DSLAM in Cobh. Not sure why they took so long to spot this, but at least they are working on it now and you are all aware that this is not something wrong with your lines.
    I'll give you an update if or when I hear something else.

Thanks for the update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Steven_in_Cork

seems fixed now here...
    Lets do some testing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Im in Mitchelstown and have no connectivity. Dont know if its just me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 daveboy

Yeah looks like its fixed now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

1.4 Mbps here now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Yep hunky dory now. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭_Nuno_

I have a whooping 200Kb, and the really sad thing is that I am actually happy about that, because I can actually open and read webpages without waiting a couple of minutes for each to open!!

Thank you Eircom for this expensive glorified crap land line!

Advertisement