Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer caught in the headlights

Options
  • 14-12-2007 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

Was on the way to Bray yesterday at 6pm and nearly ran into the proverbial "deer caught in the headlights/lamps". This was just before Windgates on the Greystones side, it was walking across the road extremely slowly and thank god , because I was going too fast to stop by the time I saw it. It's quite dark on that section of road, and in fact I only saw it because a car approaching from the other direction had stopped in front of it, illuminating the very sizable creature and its large rack of antlers at the last minute.

So, I guess this is a warning to watch out for him up there, for your sake and his. Is this common or what? I've never seen a deer in Greystones before, only hedgehogs, rats, mice and about a million dogs. Although my son saw a badger not far from Charlesland....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

I saw one about a year ago on the same stretch. Very unusual. It scarpered that time though. Have never seen a badger though, apart from dead ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Got some in Tescos last week. Yum!
    Seriously though,glen Of Downs in full of them so not surprising one or two wander over. Saw a fox in Charlesland last week so stop blaming the neighbours cat for any bin activity. hedgehogs in the house once also. Dead badgers too often and an otter ran across the N11 near bray one morning. Made it across.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Dead badgers too often and an otter ran across the N11 near bray one morning. Made it across.

Dead badgers & Otters on the N11, so thats why the traffic is so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Suder

An awesome creature! Ive seen him a few times over the years. Likewise he was almost casual standing there, gave me the eyeballs and then off he went!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Delganys Finest

My Dad was telling me that deer used to cross the glen of the downs regularly but I havent seen any in about six years,there was one crossing the road by kindlestown woods.He was huge.Amazing looking :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭damianmckeever

Yeah likewise I've never seen one on that stretch but I've seen them three times on the 22 bends in enniskerry and each time I see them they literally stand there with a "what the f** are you looking at attitude" it's pretty amazing.

Advertisement