Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade vs New road Bike

Options
  • 14-12-2007 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Ok I need to decide wheter to spend a few quid upgrading the training bike - or invest in a new one.

Its a Giant SCR 4, bog standard, no mods bar pedals.

I was thinking of adding a

- carbon fork (around 120quid)
    - new wheels ( Fulcrum Racing 7's or Shimano 105 wheelset 150 -200 quid)
    - new saddle ( 60 quid)

Does anyone have thoughts - especialy on the wheels. The stock ones are brutal and i dont want to spend a fortune as its a training machine. the old saddle is painful on longer spins and weighs a feckin tonne.

So upgrade the bike with some of the bits above. Or sell it and get something new like an scr3 or similar.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

trinewbie wrote: »
    Ok I need to decide wheter to spend a few quid upgrading the training bike - or invest in a new one.

Its a Giant SCR 4, bog standard, no mods bar pedals.

I was thinking of adding a

- carbon fork (around 120quid)
    - new wheels ( Fulcrum Racing 7's or Shimano 105 wheelset 150 -200 quid)
    - new saddle ( 60 quid)

Does anyone have thoughts - especialy on the wheels. The stock ones are brutal and i dont want to spend a fortune as its a training machine. the old saddle is painful on longer spins and weighs a feckin tonne.

So upgrade the bike with some of the bits above. Or sell it and get something new like an scr3 or similar.

thanks

what are you using it for??

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Training spins, usually 3hours plus and mainly around Dublin/ Wicklow mountains...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

check mavic & richey wheels, you can get nice ones for about the €150 mark. 105s are always reliable. brooks saddle form 50 upwards.
    dont bother with the carbon fork. your price range will be putting you into buying new bike range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

yup, mavic aksiums (€150ish) great training wheel, i got a specialized alias leather saddle, €90. great, no complaints so i'd recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

yeah mavic aksiums are fairly bomb proof, saddle is personal preference tbh, i have a specialized toupe saddle but they cost around €120.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Karma wrote: »
    check mavic & richey wheels, you can get nice ones for about the €150 mark. 105s are always reliable. brooks saddle form 50 upwards.
    dont bother with the carbon fork. your price range will be putting you into buying new bike range.

+1
    put the money from the fork into new derailleurs or a crankset.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

trinewbie wrote: »
    Or sell it and get something new like an scr3 or similar.
    Price up the 2 options either way. It is usually far cheaper to buy a complete bike, i.e. I remember I tried pricing components on my bike. At first I was just looking for review on the parts it came with, so I started totting them up at online prices. Bike would have probably cost over twice as much to buy stuff separate, the bike was a good deal though.

Advertisement