Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL Broadband Provider

Options
  • 14-12-2007 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Apparently exchange enabled for BB next week.

My needs:
    Phone line for local calls (actually have no need for phone, but there is no wireless BB available in the area)
    2mb BB package

Reckon my choices are:
    Eircom
    BT
    UTV
    Perlico (don't like the look of these guys)

Oh and Smart is not available to me (would go with them otherwise)

Am I best going with Eircom?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

BT, cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Am I best going with Eircom?
    Of the ones listed, yes. Best is a relative term though. I don't know of many issues with broadband from eircom, nobody seems to have the sort of problems you get with BT and their billing, UTV and their conning of customers into extended contracts and bundled software that you pay monthly for, or Perlico and their general lies and uselessness.

You'll pay the most for eircom though, and their customer service is extremely hit and miss. It does work though, and they own the whole network so problems have a better chance of being solved quickly.

Other choices are Digiweb (they do DSL too), IBB (also do DSL), and some others. Don't know if they're worth considering though. Digiweb apply and enforce the same rolling cap that they use for Metro on the DSL products. IBB say they have no cap, but I hear other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

stanley1 wrote: »
    BT, cheaper.

I would not recommend BT to anyone. Cheap they are, but cheep does not equal good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

BT seem to be the cheapest alright - but unpopular round here?

Digiweb - charge 30 a month - while calls etc. are still with Eircom - not good value really

Anybody else??? Looking like I will go with the devil that is Eircom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭6digitnumber

I'm on the lookout for DSL too, I have all options open to me including smart and magnet. Would those 2 be the best of the DSL providers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Smart - without a doubt!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Smart - without a doubt!

If is exchange only just got enabled its not going to be LLU so Smart is not an option,

UTV look somewhat ok, BT have massive billing issues last time I tried,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 DVDMAN

go with utv the service is good and the cheapest, the also have a nolimit download option. what ever you do dont go with eircon:)

Advertisement