Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

windows cant find hdd

• 14-12-2007 5:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭

im booting from the windows xp sp2 cd and it gets to a point and then says it cannot find any hdd's?

hold on it gets better.... i can take the hdd out of the laptop and put it into a desktop load windows onto it fine.... replace it into the laptop and it begins to boot????

this is happening on two differnt brand laptops? is it anything todo with them having serial hard drives and windows cd does not have compatible controller drivers?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you press F6 when the CD boots it will ask you for disk drivers
    XP SP2 has some sata drivers

Also check in the BIOS in case you can change the HDD mode back to sata

My guess is that the SATA controllers are working in AHCI mode and therefore need external drivers from a floppy disk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

but the laptop doesnt have a floppy disk drive?

and also neither of their websites have drivers associated with the hdd ????

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Karsini wrote: »
    My guess is that the SATA controllers are working in AHCI mode and therefore need external drivers from a floppy disk.
    AHCI thanks could not remember what it was called.

so again check the BIOS in case you can choose a legacy mode for AHCI
    alternatively borrow and use a USB Floppy drive

I don't think XPSP2 can use usb flash drives during setup ,
    otherwise you are into slipstreaming :(

Advertisement