Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Discussion of the Rules

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

There's a good chance he didn't see it because you were both posting in and around the same time.

I had to edit my post to add your quote.
    I meant he didn't see I had reported the post yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Villain wrote: »
    You see your first post tells me to report the post so obviously you didn't see I had reported the post, did you?

No, I didn't.

Apologies.

But my subsequent post still stands.

Wanna answer that one now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

But if you reported it then why not wait for it to be dealt with?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    But if you reported it then why not wait for it to be dealt with?

The mods obviously saw it, and didn't see it as a troll, so there was no action.

He can't accept that the mod decision is final.

Even if the mods didn't see it, he could have reported it again, PMd a mod, but no, he started shíte on the thread.

Which the charter explicitly outlines shouldn't be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I meant he didn't see I had reported the post yesterday.

then presuming the mods have no issue with the post, surely you should have brought it up in here as opposed to starting a little "get out of our thread" vibe in the Villa thread, as I pointed out, Helix has been critical of MONs handling of signings and big players, but there was no calls for him as a troll.

and PVT poker is only in there to fan the flames btw, which is why i ignored him, and brought this discussion to here, as it totally derails the Villa thread.

btw - most Utd fans actually dont mind/appreciate my contribution to that thread, even when the Utd forum idea was broached, it was with the idea of people like me and Xavi who contribute to the thread quite regularly having access.

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    No, I didn't.

Apologies.

But my subsequent post still stands.

Wanna answer that one now?
    Yea I reported the post yesterday, and none of the mods responded in the thread or to me, so I posted my opinion, I didn't post it straight away I reported the post waited a day to see if the mods would respond they didn't so I posted my opinion.

And if you look at the Villa thread you will see others including non villa Fans agree that Mr Alan was trolling

Tbh I've stopped posting in any super threads other than the City one due to this sort of bollox. Had enough of the accusations last season.

If wouldn't be the first time soccer mods have missed reported posts this happened in the past many times and I would have sent a PM to the mods only that has got me in bother before on another forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Tbh I've stopped posting in any super threads other than the City one due to this sort of bollox. Had enough of the accusations last season.
    City have a superthread Xavi? :p

Something new every day :)
    If wouldn't be the first time soccer mods have missed reported posts this happened in the past many times and I would have sent a PM to the mods only that has got me in bother before on another forum.

Backseat modding tbh.
    Thats why mods are there; as Des already it may have been seen and passed over as not being a troll

Yea I reported the post yesterday, and none of the mods responded in the thread or to me,
    Do you expect mods to respond to every reported post?

Seriously?

If they see no need for action, you just have to accept that, or maybe PM one of them asking a question.

Starting shíte on a thread is not on, I know it, you know it, everyone with access to this forum knows it.

Why did you do it?

so I posted my opinion, I didn't post it straight away I reported the post waited a day to see if the mods would respond they didn't so I posted my opinion.

Frankly, if your "opinion" on the moderation of this forum was needed, you'd probably already be a mod.
    And if you look at the Villa thread you will see others including non villa Fans agree that Mr Alan was trolling

So?

The main thing is that, obviously, the mods didn't agree.

Now, you either accept their decisions, or stop posting in soccer.

What you shouldn't do is start shíte on thread, turning it into a trainwreck.

You threw your toys out of the pram when you didn't get your way, didn't you?

• Advertisement

You threw your toys out of the pram when you didn't get your way, didn't you?

No I posted my opinion which many people have agreed with.

If the mods saw the post and think its ok then fair enough, but the very fact that your first reply on this thread was to throw the rule book at me, makes me think the reported post wasn't seen, which as I say isn't new, Soccer has needed more mods for a long time, and before people start thinking this me looking to be a mod, thats not it I was approached about been a mod before but my political views on another forum meant a smod wouldn't allow it, so I know I'll never be a mod.

neil3030 wrote:
    How can you claim you're not out purely to antagonise people Mr. Alan? You posted this at 1a.m. on a Sunday morning, on the Villa thread, in the middle of a debate over whether or not Paul Robinson was any use....
    MrAlan wrote:
    For someone famed for their man management, O'Neill really seems to have dropped the ball here.

Villas position couldnt be weaker now imo.
    NOTW wrote:
    Barry has been deeply disappointed by the behaviour of O’Neill during the long-running transfer saga, as he explained: “Villa kept saying they wanted me to stay but I have not heard from the manager for weeks.

“The last time we spoke was just after England’s match in Trinidad at the start of June. And that’s it. It just made me think that he and the club were just saying one thing in public but were not really bothered at all about me in private.

You can try justify it all you want, and I'll grant you're very good at keeping your jibes disguised as argument and objective points of information, but the fact is you were up on a Saturday night looking for ways to rub our backs up.

In response to Neil,no sense responding in the Villa thread derailing it further.

I was not "up at 1am trying to rub your backs up"....i was up at 1am when the following morings NOTW went up online, which contained the Barry article. I thought the fact that Barry was so disappointed with O'Neills management of the situation mertited discussion on the Villa thread as O'Neill is revered so much in that thread (with the exception of Helix) as someone who can do no wrong.

But suprise suprise, it was seen as merely me being a troll.

maybe i'm very good at keeping my points as disguising my trolling as "argument and objective points of information", because i am not trolling, simply putting across "a different argument with objective points of information".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Ah come on he came into a thread on Villa as an obvious Pool fan, offered no reasons or explanations, just slagged the manager off in a one liner, if he had reasoned it out somewhat I wouldn't have a problem, the funny thing is the post he replied to was shown MON in a positive light as many Villa fans felt Sorensen was crap and MON was simply telling the truth.

Mr Alan simply posts like a robot unwilling to see any other side of the argument, he posted that post a troll, i.e. to flame the thread, his post offered nothing positive to the discussion.

well said villain. He does the same on the United thread, its thinly veiled trolling, he hides it well , under a cover of generating "debate" , but it's obvious to everyone what he's up to. Fairly blatant trolling / stirring in that Villa thread also.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,439 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Ah come on lads. There are far FAR worse posters on here than Alan.

Sure, he says things people don't like or agree with on occasion, but hell, so what?

Personally i think he is a good contributer to the United thread most of the time (he does have his moments though...) A different viewpoint is can be good.

I think he went over the top in the Villa thread though. They asked him to stop trolling, but he just kept at it. Has he been a regular poster on the Villa forum before this?
    What reason does he have for suddenly posting so much on their thread, other than to take digs / cheap shots at them / their manager.

pvt.joker wrote: »
    I think he went over the top in the Villa thread though. They asked him to stop trolling, but he just kept at it.
    The posts were reported, the mods did nothing.

He wasn't trolling.
    Has he been a regular poster on the Villa forum before this?
    Totally irrelevant.

He has as much right to post there as any other person with access to the soccer forum.
    What reason does he have for suddenly posting so much on their thread,

The club he supports are in protracted negotiations with Aston Villa over the possible transfer of a player. He wants to discuss that.
    other than to take digs / cheap shots at them / their manager.

He wasn't doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,439 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think he went over the top in the Villa thread though. They asked him to stop trolling, but he just kept at it. Has he been a regular poster on the Villa forum before this?
    What reason does he have for suddenly posting so much on their thread, other than to take digs / cheap shots at them / their manager.
    The club he supports are involved in a long, and kinda ugly, transfer with Villa. It is being discussed in the Villa thread, so it he has posted there. I haven't analyzed everything he has said, so maybe some of it is over the line, but in general I find Alan to be a good contributer to the forum, whether you agree with him or not. At least he will actually argue his point if called on something.

One of their players will more than likely be at Liverpool next season. Our clubs seem to be in constant communication over the issue. Their manager has talked a bit about our manager. Our manager has talked a bit about their captain. One of our RBs may end up there as part of the deal.

wat has me curious is why you suddenly started posting in the villa thread?

oh thats right, backseat modding.

The posts were reported, the mods did nothing.

He wasn't trolling.

Totally irrelevant.

He has as much right to post there as any other person with access to the soccer forum.

The club he supports are in protracted negotiations with Aston Villa over the possible transfer of a player. He wants to discuss that.

He wasn't doing that.

The mods may yet review the reports, who knows, they may not have gotten around to it yet.
    There is a Gareth Barry thread for discussion of said transfer. Why did he feel the need to go into the Villa thread and call MON a bad man manager, knowing full well this would get peoples backs up?
    Its the equivilant of me going into the scouse thread and calling Benitez a hapless clown tbh.

Tauren wrote: »
    The club he supports are involved in a long, and kinda ugly, transfer with Villa. It is being discussed in the Villa thread, so it he has posted there. I haven't analyzed everything he has said, so maybe some of it is over the line, but in general I find Alan to be a good contributer to the forum, whether you agree with him or not. At least he will actually argue his point if called on something.

He rubs people up the wrong way, which in itself shouldnt be an issue, as people should deal with it . However I feel their is a certain cynicism to his posts. He is very cold and calculating, I'd swear he stays up late at night plotting on how to wind up members of opposing teams.

I refuse to rise to the bait however.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    One of their players will more than likely be at Liverpool next season. Our clubs seem to be in constant communication over the issue. Their manager has talked a bit about our manager. Our manager has talked a bit about their captain. One of our RBs may end up there as part of the deal.

wat has me curious is why you suddenly started posting in the villa thread?

oh thats right, backseat modding.

There is a thread for posting about that discussion, as you well know.
    And that thread is not the Villa superthread. You waltzed in, first post in that thread and came out with a oneliner calling MON a bad manmanager.

What do you think the reaction would be if I posted in the Liverpool thread calling Benitez a useless clown?

Backseat modding? :rolleyes: I was pointing out to them not to rise to the bait. That's all.

I refuse to post in this thread anymore, as I can see the mods getting fairly pi**ed off about the thread getting cluttered up with such s*ite

There is a Gareth Barry thread for discussion of said transfer.

my post was to do with the interview from Sorenson, nothing to do with Gareth Barry. So it would have been hideously off topic.
    Why did he feel the need to go into the Villa thread and call MON a bad man manager.

i didnt go in and say MON is **** at man management and leave it at that.

i simply made a point that he seems to have man managed Sorenson very poorly by quoting sorensons interview in my op.

Then when called on that being an awful example of him being poor at man management pointed out that he also has hardly worked wonders with the GB situation, or Scott Carson for that matter (i didnt mention that at the time)...then i continued to be called troll and you decided to but in and stoke the fires with your own cries of troll.
    knowing full well this would get peoples backs up?Its the equivilant of me going into the scouse thread and calling Benitez a hapless clown tbh.

The situations are totally different, if you went into the pool thread and said, i dont think Rafa can outwit Ferguson over the course of a league seaosn and gave your reasons, that is not a "troll"..........i may not agree, but all the evidence thus far points to you being right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

What do you think the reaction would be if I posted in the Liverpool thread calling Benitez a useless clown?

Have you never read the liverpool thread? This happens for pretty much the entire season. Once you back up why you think Benitez is a useless clown, i.e I think Benitez is a useless clown for spending 18 mill on Barry. Well then its fine, people will either ignore you, or counter-attack with why they think Benitez is not a useless clown.

Regarding Mr_Alans comments in the Villa thread, after a quick glance they don't seem to be trolling. He want in to discuss the villa manager after a villa player had made an outburst against him. It then looks like he has to defend himself from accusations of trolling by clarifying his point.

The posts were reported and nothing got done. The offended posters should have then sent a PM to the mods asking for clarification. If no response was received over the following days then it should have been taken to feedback.

This thread is/was to discuss the rules of the forum in a general mannner. Not to discuss individual cases.

This thread is/was to discuss the rules of the forum in a general mannner. Not to discuss individual cases.

Exactly, which brings us back to my original post for the mods:
    something needs to be done about the "troll" label being thrown on anyone who says anything that doesnt fallen into line with fanboy-isms in the club threads. its ****ing awful irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

This makes for hilarious reading guys, it really does.

He said bad things about Aston Villa's manager, in the Aston Villa thread..

Big ****ing deal...really.

Its not like he went in there and personally abused Mr O'Neil or his family, instead he commented on a story which had already been posted in the Aston Villa thread, and gave his views on it.

This is a football forum lads, football creates a wide range of opinions on a wide range of subjects. Some of them relate to the club you support, some of them dont.

We are not all going to agree on anything....that is why we have forums.

Sher why bother with any rules then Eirebear?

I don't know if you around in the good old days of the Soccer forum when it was closed etc but Mr Alan style posters caused all sorts of problems and new rules were introduced to try and keep the Forum free from all sorts of crap and arguments, Posting one liners in a thread about a team you obviously don't support slagging off their manager offers nothing to the forum only to cause hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Sher why bother with any rules then Eirebear?

I don't know if you around in the good old days of the Soccer forum when it was closed etc but Mr Alan style posters caused all sorts of problems and new rules were introduced to try and keep the Forum free from all sorts of crap and arguments, Posting one liners in a thread about a team you obviously don't support slagging off their manager offers nothing to the forum only to cause hassle.

SO are you saying he isnt entitled to comment on Martin O'Neil's reputation for being a top class man manager?

He used the story quoted as his basis for the comment he made and i personally see nothing wrong with that, and no rules against it.

It shouldnt matter wether he supports Villa or not IMO, he is entitled to comment.
    As i said before, its not like he was being personally abusive towards anyone simply stating that he didnt believe the hype that surrounds MON as a manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

my post was to do with the interview from Sorenson, nothing to do with Gareth Barry. So it would have been hideously off topic.

i didnt go in and say MON is **** at man management and leave it at that.

i simply made a point that he seems to have man managed Sorenson very poorly by quoting sorensons interview in my op.

Then when called on that being an awful example of him being poor at man management pointed out that he also has hardly worked wonders with the GB situation, or Scott Carson for that matter (i didnt mention that at the time)...then i continued to be called troll and you decided to but in and stoke the fires with your own cries of troll.

The situations are totally different, if you went into the pool thread and said, i dont think Rafa can outwit Ferguson over the course of a league seaosn and gave your reasons, that is not a "troll"..........i may not agree, but all the evidence thus far points to you being right.

Have you read the Sorenson article????
    When does he suggest even the MON is a 'Bad Man Manager'
    What he done with Carson makes perfect sense. He went through a dodgy period last season and O'Neill was testing his character which a goalkeeper needs alot of by giving no reassurances of a long-term interest.
    It is called asking a player to prove themselves!!!!
    As with Barry! All that can be said is that his comments were disappointing and very out of character. Villa will have last laugh here however and the way MON dealt with the situation was fantastic as was the way be dealt with Berger.
    Carew, Laursen, NRC have had nothing but good things to say to the press the last few days and it seems like the atmosphere is buzzing a VP.
    If the signings suggested come off we might be a serious threat to the top 4 next season.
    I am following the Villa for 25 years and it is a very long time since I felt this positive about them going into a new season.
    As suggested by others I would advise you to stick to the Barry thread as you are getting up alot of noses here!

• Advertisement

Well your more than entitled to your opinion, but I believe the post was posted to get reaction and stir sh1t, if he had wanted to make a point he could have done it by explaining his opinion rather just posting a one liner.

Sher why bother with any rules then Eirebear

You obviously don't.
    Thats a complete troll

Calling someone a troll is against the rules.
    No the post was a complete troll, I've neve seen a better example of a troll.

Its a good job your not within arms reach!

Threatening a poster against the rules.

Threatening a poster against the rules.

Did you actually see the context that post was posted in?

Did you actually see the context that post was posted in?

I seen the comment you were replying to yes. Still looks like a threat to me.

Tomthepost wrote: »
    What he done with Carson makes perfect sense. He went through a dodgy period last season and O'Neill was testing his character which a goalkeeper needs alot of by giving no reassurances of a long-term interest.
    As with Barry! All that can be said is that his comments were disappointing and very out of character. Villa will have last laugh here however and the way MON dealt with the situation was fantastic as was the way be dealt with Berger.
    Carew, Laursen, NRC have had nothing but good things to say to the press the last few days and it seems like the atmosphere is buzzing a VP.
    If the signings suggested come off we might be a serious threat to the top 4 next season.
    I am following the Villa for 25 years and it is a very long time since I felt this positive about them going into a new season.
    As suggested by others I would advise you to stick to the Barry thread as you are getting up alot of noses here!

all the player talk is OT to this thread.

wat we are talking about is should i be allowed make a point int the villa thread that Villa fans do not agree with without being called a troll.

the place for us to disagree and discuss the rest is:

Barry-Barry thread.
    Sorenson-Villa Thread
    Carson-Liverpool/Villa Thread.
    O'Neill as a man manager-Villa Thread

but it cant be discussed if anyone who disagrees is a labelled a troll from immediately

People in Glasshouses: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56512023&postcount=4571 ;)

• Advertisement

Tomthepost wrote: »

Save it for the Villa thread tbh. If I want to read rants (from both sides) I'll go to the thread to read it.

This is going nowhere so just leave it til the mods have their say.

This is going nowhere so just leave it til the mods have their say.

agreed.

agreed.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

ENOUGH!!!!!

Look, we will not respond to every reported post, have you any idea how many reported posts soccer gets, even now in the off season?

If we act, we act, if we don't we didn't see a reason to act.

Regarding the issue in question Mr. Alan wasn't trolling, he gave an opinion that wasn't going to go down well with the Villa fans. The Villa fans need to toughen up if they find that the "worst troll ever".

On the other hand, Mr. Alan, you post in a manner that pisses people off. I don't think you do it deliberately, I've read your PMs and I think that is just how you come across. With this in mind, I've told you before that you need to take a good look in the mirror before you set off whining about people calling you a troll.

If you go post a one line glib comment about a teams manager in a thread, even if you have a point or opinion behind it, people are going to look dimly on your posting skills, whatever about anything else. So, figure out how to factor discussion into your controversial opinions, rather than just popping in to make a comment, and you may get less ill feeling towards you.

So in summary:
    Villian: not a troll, an opinion, you don't like it, fair enough, toughen up.
    Mr. Alan: Learn to post in a less abrupt discussion promoting manner or people will continue to call you a troll.

• Advertisement

Alls well thats ends well !

She's my hero

/swoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

She's my hero

/swoon

Go to bed :P

So, in summary, Mr Alan is not a troll. But needs to voice his full reasons for his controversial opinions.

got ya :D

and xavi, lay off man, desperate or wat!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

In my limited time on here recently it's glaringly obvious who the main antagonist on this forum is...

Fans of different clubs will always have alternative viewpoints. That's perfectly natural, and on topical and newsworthy subjects, it fuels (sometimes contrversial) debate.

IMO the vast majority of users here DO attempt to put-forward constructive points and opinions, but when one particular user seemingly has carte blanché to goad fans of other clubs at will (in a very measured way) for no purpose other than childish, vain one-upmanship, and then goes crying to moderators when other users justifiably tell him where to go, it devalues the quality and appeal of the entire site to see him get away with it so regularly. There's a massive difference between a posting a controversial opinion, and one that's designed purely to provoke adverse reaction in others.

Like I've mentioned, although I've been a registered user for a long-time, my 'regular' usage over the years has been intermitent, but I can honestly say that the soccer forum has nosedived from how I last remember it in terms of the nature and quality of posts, and much of this is attributable to one single user.

I've foolishly been drawn into mud-slinging with this guy myself, so on the advice and recommendation of other like-minded individuals, I've taken the step of adding this particular user to my ignore list. It's a sad state of affairs for one person to have to do that, but when several users do it simultaneously, it represents a problem, and one that administrators should examine carefully.

wynters wrote: »
    In my limited time on here recently it's glaringly obvious who the main antagonist on this forum is...

Fans of different clubs will always have alternative viewpoints. That's perfectly natural, and on topical and newsworthy subjects, it fuels (sometimes contrversial) debate.

IMO the vast majority of users here DO attempt to put-forward constructive points and opinions, but when one particular user seemingly has carte blanché to goad fans of other clubs at will (in a very measured way) for no purpose other than childish, vain one-upmanship, and then goes crying to moderators when other users justifiably tell him where to go, it devalues the quality and appeal of the entire site to see him get away with it so regularly. There's a massive difference between a posting a controversial opinion, and one that's designed purely to provoke adverse reaction in others.

Like I've mentioned, although I've been a registered user for a long-time, my 'regular' usage over the years has been intermitent, but I can honestly say that the soccer forum has nosedived from how I last remember it in terms of the nature and quality of posts, and much of this is attributable to one single user.

I've foolishly been drawn into mud-slinging with this guy myself, so on the advice and recommendation of other like-minded individuals, I've taken the step of adding this particular user to my ignore list. It's a sad state of affairs for one person to have to do that, but when several users do it simultaneously, it represents a problem, and one that administrators should examine carefully.

Are you not going to name this user ? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

wynters wrote: »
    Who? It's pointless just skirting around the issue. /yawn

Indeed, name and shame or go back to your 'intermittent' posting tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

I've already been warned about my conduct in relation to this so one has to chose words carefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Fail.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement