Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Capello Confirmed

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Italians are a nationality not a race, DSB maybe you should use dictionary.com to look up some word defintions.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

1. a group of persons related by common descent or heredity.

Your posts baffle me at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

DSB wrote: »
    1. a group of persons related by common descent or heredity.

Your posts baffle me at times.

Completely off topic, but even if your interpretation were correct, it wouldn't apply to Italy. For example, the part of Italy Capello was born in was Croatia less than one hundred years ago, and Italy as a nation has only existed for about 150 years.

Boy this press conference is heavy going. Some woman just asked a question about sexy football (cough).

And some dumbass from a tabloid just "accused" Fabio of never signing an English player and asked why. Dope.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I thought the question about an English player was a fair one. If he really believes English players have quality then why has he never signed one despite his clubs having massive transfer kitties. Why is that a bad question

The qusetion smacked of hostility - "why should we hire you, cos you were'nt nice to 'our boys'" type nonsense.

Why should he sign players from a particular nationality just in case he get the national team of that country years later?

Also as discussed elsewhere on this board there have been few good reasons to leave the EPL if you are a successful English player.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I thought the question about an English player was a fair one. If he really believes English players have quality then why has he never signed one despite his clubs having massive transfer kitties. Why is that a bad question

How many top quality English players have suceeded in Italy/ Spain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

eZe^ wrote: »
    How many top quality English players have suceeded in Italy/ Spain?
    The few that do leave have all been success stories - Linekar, Platt, Gascoigne, Ince, McManaman, Beckham and Owen spring to mind. Even Woodgate was a hit barring the whole injury nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

But english players are often (a)overpriced and (b)not really suited to continental football

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

But english players are often (a)overpriced and (b)not really suited to continental football

overpaid, oversexed and err over there:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I'm not really sure how those points make it a bad question. Keep in mind that when Capello was managin AC English players would have been cheaper than the Italian equivalent, and while managing Real and to a lesser extent Juve, Money wasn't a problem. Last year Real could have bought any of England's starting 11 maybe bar Rooney and Terry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

England coach Fabio Capello will have to understand that club football takes priority over the international team for his side's fans and players. (Guardian)

and they wonder why they don't do well...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Call_me_al wrote: »
    England coach Fabio Capello will have to understand that club football takes priority over the international team for his side's fans and players. (Guardian)

and they wonder why they don't do well...

Pretty true though, as far as I'm concerned, I don't care how Ireland do,no interest, for me its all about Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

well the papers complain about the national team the whole time even if they are doing well, then one of the best managers in the world comes along and they say this to him. statement of intent right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

True, and even before Capello was confirmed, the Daily Mail (or whichever trash newspaper it was) dug-out a story about Capello having taken drugs in his early days. It would be totally against free-speech but I think newspapers should be censored to some degree; not just for sporting issues.

... ...England will never do well whilst their players are spoilt brats either.

• Advertisement

Bump

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7218296.stm
    David Beckham has been left out of Fabio Capello's first England squad to play Switzerland on 6 February.

It means Beckham will be left still searching for his 100th cap, although Capello has not fully closed the door on the 32-year-old former captain.

Capello, who also dropped Beckham at Real Madrid, is thought to have had doubts over Beckham's match fitness.

Beckham has not played a competitive game since England's Euro qualifying defeat by Croatia on 21 November.

However, Beckham told BBC World in Brazil that he "is as fit as I can be. I'm fit and sharp and I'm ready to be selected".

Capello does not share that view, and can point to that fact that Beckham's LA Galaxy side have not played competitively since their MLS season ended last October.

*thumbs up*

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Ah, sure he wouldn't have fitted into Capello's 4-2-3-1 anyway.

Gonna guess it'll be something like this:
                     Carson

Richards   Ferdinand(c)   CB    Cole

Gerrard   Hargreaves

Bentley   Rooney   Cole

FW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He fitted in fine for Real Madrid. Harsh on Beckham, but his time has come.

I'm gona through out a nuts suggestion here, but here it is :)

Carson/James/Whoever

Richards----Ferdinand
    Terry
    Cole--

Hargreaves----Carrick

--SWP
    Gerrrard
    Cole--

Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Its unfair on Beckham. Its only a friendly. Should of been given his 100th cap after all he went through and did for them.

Bad form on capellos part.

Squad of 30 annonced - Owen makes it as does Heskey, Woodgate, and King. 5 Villa players in the mix. No Robinson nor Green.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Capello has always dropped Beckham and recalled him though :p (that one time...) Something about his fitness levels apparently...

David James (Portsmouth), Scott Carson (Aston Villa), Chris Kirkland (Wigan Athletic)

Wayne Bridge (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Curtis Davies (Aston Villa), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United) Glen Johnson (Portsmouth), Ledley King (Tottenham Hotspur), Nicky Shorey (Reading), Wes Brown (Manchester United), Joleon Lescott (Everton), Micah Richards (Manchester City) Matthew Upson (West Ham United), Jonathan Woodgate (Tottenham Hotspur)

Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Aston Villa), Jermaine Jenas (Tottenham Hotspur), Owen Hargreaves (Manchester United), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Ashley Young (Aston Villa), Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Chelsea), David Bentley (Blackburn Rovers)

Emile Heskey (Wigan Athletic), Gabriel Agbonlahor (Aston Villa) Michael Owen (Newcastle United), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Peter Crouch (Liverpool)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

PHB wrote: »
    Harsh on Beckham, but his time has come.

His time? As in hes past it?

I dont know why the possible conflicts between Capello and Beckham never crossed anyones mind at the time of the appointment. I can see some childish omissions by Capello down the road tbh. Beckham seems confident himself that he is fit, surely 10 mins at the end would do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sentiment is nice and all, but that's all it really can be. If Beckham was still at Real, there's no doubt in my mind he'd be in this squad. But he's just not playing at a high enough level.

Capello wants to send a message, and I think we'll get an even stronger message when he puts out his first 11.
    It's not just a friendly. It's the start of a new reign, and mentality is so important in International football. If hes not part of his long term plans, then he shouldn't be there. Bentley deserves his spot imo.
    However I think he might still play a role, if only as an impact sub for the next world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

shane86 wrote: »
    His time? As in hes past it?

I dont know why the possible conflicts between Capello and Beckham never crossed anyones mind at the time of the appointment. I can see some childish omissions by Capello down the road tbh. Beckham seems confident himself that he is fit, surely 10 mins at the end would do?

conflicts? I dont know about that, after being dropped for agreeing a lucrative move away for after his contract would be over, he kept up his training efforts to the point that Capello was very impressed with him, admitted his mistake and brought him back to the first team, at which point Beckham became one of their key players and was massively important to them winning the league. Id be nearly certain that Capello will give him his 100th cap, once the american season has started again.

PHB im not sure about the high enough level thing, i think its more that he hasn't played at ANY level competitively for nearly 4 months (bad the sub appearance against croatia).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Beckham isn't playing competitive football at the mment and Capello knows all about him. Why play him in a bull**** friendly?

Glad Glenn Johnson is in the squad, he is playing probably the best football of his career at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    conflicts? I dont know about that, after being dropped for agreeing a lucrative move away for after his contract would be over, he kept up his training efforts to the point that Capello was very impressed with him, admitted his mistake and brought him back to the first team, at which point Beckham became one of their key players and was massively important to them winning the league. .

I dunno, Ive a feeling Capello could be petty and childish about the whole thing. He showed him up at Real by refusing to budge from the US move after being begged to stay. Lets be honest, the US thing has been a disaster. He has went from one of Europes top clubs pleading with him to stay, to playing for what sounds like a League 2 standard US side. And I use the word playing loosely. The launch of Brand Beckham in the US hasnt been helped by the fact he seems to have been almost perpetually injured since he arrived. The plan was for him to come over, score a load of goals in the opening games and become a household name (while he isnt a prolific goalscorer, from what I have heard about the standard of the MLS Shay Given would be getting hatricks every match, so it wasnt as impossible as it would have been in the prem or CL for him to pull off). So yeah, agree with PHB on that point, Capello wouldnt choose players from Colchester or Leeds, so he has a public escuse for not taking a barely playing footballer from an equivalent team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

shane86 wrote: »
    I dunno, Ive a feeling Capello could be petty and childish about the whole thing. He showed him up at Real by refusing to budge from the US move after being begged to stay. Lets be honest, the US thing has been a disaster. He has went from one of Europes top clubs pleading with him to stay, to playing for what sounds like a League 2 standard US side. And I use the word playing loosely. The launch of Brand Beckham in the US hasnt been helped by the fact he seems to have been almost perpetually injured since he arrived. The plan was for him to come over, score a load of goals in the opening games and become a household name (while he isnt a prolific goalscorer, from what I have heard about the standard of the MLS Shay Given would be getting hatricks every match, so it wasnt as impossible as it would have been in the prem or CL for him to pull off). So yeah, agree with PHB on that point, Capello wouldnt choose players from Colchester or Leeds, so he has a public escuse for not taking a barely playing footballer from an equivalent team.

In all fairness, the deal for the US was done last winter, when Beckham was thoroughly surplus to requirements barely getting off the bench at Real. It was only after that, and his resurgence of form that Real wanted him to stay, but the deal was done, there was nought that anyone could do about it. Had Real offered him a deal with some assurances of his importance and of proposed playing time, he'd still be there. They didn't, he left for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I reckon Woodgate and Agbonlahor might get starting nods vs Switzerland. Definitely Woodgate.
                        Carson

Richards   Ferdinand(c)   [B]Woodgate[/B]    A. Cole

Gerrard   Hargreaves

Bentley   Rooney   J. Cole

[B]Agbonlahor[/B]

Advertisement