Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High ESB bills

Options
  • 14-12-2007 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭

not sure if this is the right place for this.

we live at the rented house and the esb bills have always been on the high side, latest being €190 and its not an estimated bill either. Looking through the other bills it always seems to be in around 150 - 170. I consider this to be high as the parents pay just over €100 .

I've been driving myself mad to work out what could be making it this high, but no lights are left on, no tv's left on, everyone is out durring the day. 2 pc's are left on but i dont think thats going to drive it up too much. We have a washing machine but no dryer that is used 3/4 times a week and the dish washer gets uses 2/3 times a week when its full.

i'm going to ring the ESB to see what the craic is but was wanted so thoughts on this 1st.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's good that you have no dryer, man they are seriously expensive to run

There are similar threads to this and I think the computers may be using more power than you realise. It's been posted here before afaik.

You say you are in a rented house but you don't say how many housemates there are.
    I not sure if there are other tenants there but maybe someone has an electric heater in their room and is not owning up. It happens a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭10-10-20

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Seems to be a normal price, only two of us in our house and our last bill was €137. although there was the last bill which was over €300 or so, i have no idea why.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Check your immersion, Ive heard of them being left on because people dont even know about them.
    They cost big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Our bill in a 1-bed flat is about €70 during the summer months, but climbs to double that in winter due to heating (a necessary evil in an old house). Check our your immersion (is there a timer that comes on every day regardless of whether you need it or not) and check your heating settings(if electric).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Dg_

Is there storage heaters fitted in the house ?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭carpediem

OP,

Your ESB bills certainly appear to be on the high side. Perhaps if you answer the following questions you may have a better idea as to why you are paying so much:

1) How old is your home?

2) Do you live in a house or an apartment?

3) How many people are living in the home?

4) Are the windows double glazed?

5) Is your heating run by gas or electricity?

6) How big (in square feet) is your home?

7) Do you have an electric shower?

8) Any other electric appliances?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

As a comparison, I pay approx €60 to the ESB every 2 months and my answers to the questions are as follows:

1) How old is your home? 1.5 years

2) Do you live in a house or an apartment? Apartment

3) How many people are living in the home? 1

4) Are the windows double glazed? Yes

5) Is your heating run by gas or electricity? Gas

6) How big (in square feet) is your home? 750 sq. ft.

7) Do you have an electric shower? Yes

8) Any other electric appliances? Washing machine, Dishwasher, TV, DVD player, CD player, Fridge, Microwave, Laptop, Kettle, Mobile phone charger, Camera charger, and Oven Hob.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement