Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet insurance- is allianz the only one to do it? Is it worth it?

Options
  • 14-12-2007 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Getting a puppy shortly :) Seems like Allianz are the only people to do pet insurance @ €195 per year. Surely other companies must be doing it?

There's a €60 excess which seems a bit steep considering you're shelling out €195 pa already. Realistically... do you animal owners out there get insurance? Barring accidents and older dogs, does insurance help with vet care costs?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

was worth it for me, my lil fella was developing in turning eyelids when he was a pup, he had to have surgery to correct it, went to the best vet i could find which was in Dunlaiore, cost 650, Allianz piad for the lot, just paid 60 excess.
    i think microchipping and insurance are a must

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

My 6 year old Springer had very bad sickness episode last year, on a drip 2 days for dehydration etc €400 with repeat blood tests etc and a Sunday consultation. Allianz paid the vet direct no hassle. The insurance covers you for public liability as well I think, in case the dog causes a road accident or trips someone up.

My neighbours dog ran out a few months ago and got hit by a car, killed the dog and caused €3000 damage to the car (off duty Gard) and they had to pay the full amount as no insurance.

Its easy to say you'll save €30 a month towards future vets bills but who does really? There is always something else that crops up that needs money spending on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

What type of doggie are you thinking of getting op?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

As far as I know Allianz are the only ones who do it. In the UK there are several companies, but not here for now.

I think the insurance is well worth it, I got it for my puppy and 195 PA is well worth the peace of mind :)

The insurance doesn't cover routine procedures like annual vaccinations and neutering/spaying, but if your dog becomes ill or gets injured then that will be covered. For example; a friend of mine had her dog insured and it was run over by the postman one morning, luckily the dog survived but it had to have a lot of surgery and pins put in her hips. It would have cost her over 1000 if she hadn't had insurance, but all she had to pay was 60. She said in all honesty if she hadn't had the insurance she probably would have had to have the dog put to sleep, cos she wouldn't have been able to come up with that kind of money.

I pay the insurance by the month and it's only about 16, which isn't too bad, plus you get the first couple of months free when you sign up through your vet. What kind of puppy are you getting? I know the premuims are higher for some breeds like mastiffs etc, check out the allianz website for more info. Also if you have your puppy chipped there's a discount too.

PS: I found that the quote I got from the vet was cheaper than the one I got online?! Price it with the vet and the net and see if there's a difference. Also if you leave it until your dog is older, they may not cover you. My advice would be just get the insurance, if you feel you don't need it after the first year you can always cancel it, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

All I can tell you is that our's is with Allianz.

Is it worth it?.. Well this time last year I didn't have it, and our cat 'Tigger' (a year dead just two days ago) was knocked down and suffered massive injuries.

However the vet said he had a fighting chance (smashed pelvis, two broken legs, back nerve damage) and we spent €1,400 on vet fee's before Tigger finally died from complications due to his accident.

So yea for something like €37- per month for both my cat and dog its well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

Always had my dogs insured and its a great help,but if you make a claim on certain claims like eye disorders they will only pay for that once you cant claim on the same illness twice.Your premium changes after the animal is 10yrs old too
    you pay the excess €60 + 35% of the cost.My premium €540 p.a. for 3 dogs aged over 10 and a 1yr old cat.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭summer_ina_bowl

I'm a vet nurse, and i have to say the insurance is definately worth it!! As soon as you get the pup, take it to your vet, get a clean bill of health and set up the insurance! some traffic accident injuries are perfectly treatable but can cost up to a grand to treat, and also afaik, the insurance covers any degenerative diseaese that can occur later on! its soexpensive to treat degenerative cardiac/respiratory/skeletal problems!!!! to offer your pet the best care, insurance is really important - that is unless your loaded anyways! lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

My dog is a mutt, and is insured. My cat is pedigree and they wouldn't insure him when I got him, because he was over eight years old.

(Pedigree animals also cost more to insure if you do insure them when they're young.)

Cat's cost me about €500 in vet's bills in recent weeks, and I dread his getting really ill.

Dog has had one big claim, when she ripped her stomach open on a branch and had to have several days in the vet's, drip, big operation and follow-up care. That cost me a total of €95; Petplan paid for the rest.

It's definitely worth it.

Advertisement