Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendations for foundation?

• 14-12-2007 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭

Hi there, looking for recommendations for good foundations :)

I like a good bit of coverage, preferably liquid to any other type (powder types are too drying on my skin, and although I used to love Max Factor panstik it's a bit too thick and oily). Also prefer a natural look if possible, although I realise that's not really possible if I want all-over coverage, which I do.

I have tried Max Factor liquid foundations, Loreal, Maybelline, and some cheaper brands like Rimmel and that naturalsrange they do in the Body Shop. Never liked any of them as they always end up looking patchy, although the Max Factor one was alright. If any of you have any tips on foundations you love and find to be good, please share as I'm off tomorrow to buy yet another to try out (have about 5 languishing in my makeup drawer that I tried and hated). I'd prefer to keep it at around the 20 euro mark or under as I wear makeup every day and don't want to spend a fortune every month! So I guess that limits it to the highstreet brands you can find in the likes of Boots etc.

Also while I'm asking, what type of blushers do you find to be the best? I am currently switching between a powder Max Factor one (which is nice except for those days when my skin is a bit dry and it highlights the dryness) and a cream rimmel one (which can end up looking like I smeared clownpaint on me) and neither really gives me that "healthy glow" look I'd like!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Umm... i wear Armani "luminous Silk", it's €35 but i love it, i got it in august and still have plenty left and i'd wear it everyday!!

I use powder blushers from Artdeco... coz i got them for free when i worked for Artdeco distributers! Would love a relaly nice blusher though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

tbh whatever foundation you use is going to be useless unless you use a Primer first.
    My foundation used to slide off after a few hours, until I started using a primer.

I recommend Smashbox Photofinish primer. Foundation - MAC studio fix with SPF is fantastic. Get the pump attachment for the bottle (it's 2 quid or so), you only need 2-3 pumps to do your face - my bottle of foundation usually lasts 3 months! And remember to fix the lot with blotting powder. Again, I recommend MAC's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

If you spend money on one thing in your make up bag, it should be foundation.
    Get a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Using MAC studio fix with SPF foundation at the moment aswell.
    Previously I'v used clinque and clarins.
    Happy with the MAC foundation so far. Will probably buy it again when I run out, mainly because I bought their studio fix powder in bulk when I was out in America during the summer and I like using the same foundation and powder from the same brand, they blend together better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

I use Armani Hydra Glow and you don't have to trowel it on, MAC's studio fix is worth using. I honestly wouldn't use a cheap foundation, get a decent quality one, it will be better for your skin and go further. How in the name of Jesus someone would put Rimmel on their face is beyond me. Stila do nice teeny tiny pots of concealer. One will last you six months. Use a good primer, concealer, foundation etc and you won't go back OP.

• Advertisement

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    How in the name of Jesus someone would put Rimmel on their face is beyond me. .
    I agree! But different strokes for different folks I guess.

As Pythia said..one should invest their money in a good foundation over anything else in a makeup bag.

Rimmel has its place - for teenagers and those who can't afford to splash out on MAC, Clinique etc.

Ah yeah Rimmel is what you start out wearing, oh the memories!!!

I've never used a primer for under foundation and it stays on all night! it's great!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I have to say that its not v.fancy but I adore Bourgeois 10 hour sleep effect. It just blends into the skin and it looks so good. I love it.
    I hated MAC, looked awful on me.

What kind of primer is best? I've never used any.

I've never looked at the Bourgois foundations actually!

I'm not a MAC fan at all i have to say, I'd be temtped to try their eyeshadows but not foundations, tried one before and felt it was heavy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I was a fan of the oul pan stick in my day and then onto Elizabeth arden, I use dior at the moment but I find it a bit thick and heavy for every day use.

I find the Rimmel Recover is quite good, It is the one with the glitter in it.....

I also use bare essentials which is a mineral foundation... (powder over moisturiser) this is great.( i got this in san fran.. but you can buy on ebay)

I think it all works out to the powders you use.

I usually layer my face..... Foundation.... Blusher..... lightening powder( under eyes etc) and all over body brush..

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

I keep going back to Stila's Illuminating liquid foundation, it gives brilliant coverage and has just the right amount of 'glow' to make you look dewy and healthy. I used bare minerals over the summer, also gives lovely coverage but I found a pot didn't last very long.

If you don't want to spend loads on foundation OP, at least splurge on concealer as more expensive ones last much longer and as they come in a wider range of shades they can really improve your overall look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Thanks for the advice on what you find best - to clarify I only used rimmel and that naturals range about 10 years ago when I was a teenager and couldn't afford anything else on my limited budget, and TBH I shouldn't have bothered anyway, as I had really good skin as a teen and I think starting to wear foundation at all was the ruin of it :) Should have stuck to just cleanse/tone/moisturise. I'm pale as a ghost nowadays so need a bit of foundation to give me a hint of colour other than blue.

Will head off this week and shop round so, cheers.

I'm not a MAC fan at all i have to say, I'd be temtped to try their eyeshadows but not foundations, tried one before and felt it was heavy

Urgh I hate when people say this! MAC have about 6 different types of foundations, only 2-3 of them are heavy coverage, e.g. pan sticks and matte foundation compact.

I use studio fix and it gives good coverage but isn't at all heavy and I almost never get spots so it's not bad for the skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Quality wrote: »
    I also use bare essentials which is a mineral foundation... (powder over moisturiser) this is great.( i got this in san fran.. but you can buy on ebay)

I use a mineral foundation too and like the OP my skin is quite dry. I used to hate wearing foundation because I found liquid foundations used to wear off and end up looking blotchy after a few hours. Now I just put on some moisturiser and brush over some powder, it's not like the old fashioned powder foundation that looks dry and cakey, it gives a silky natural finish and you can build it up to the leel of cover you need. I get mine from www.everydayminerals.com after someone recommended it here. I know loads of people who have ordered it since and they all swear by it, plus it's a lot cheaper than some of the other suggestions here, I got a couple of foundations, bronzers, blushers, eyeshadows and brushes for around €50 including postage. I'm not too keen on the eyeshadows but I love the foundations and bronzers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Ruthee

i second the everydayminerals..was it me who suggested it??? its brilliant..i find it so much quicker than using liquid (even tho I use Mac Select SPF as a backup) and i my skin isnt that great..but with the mineral foundation ya just brush on the foundation, buff it so it blends well and there ya go..its deadly..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Ruthee wrote: »
    i second the everydayminerals..was it me who suggested it??? its brilliant

I third that! I recommended it ages ago too.

'Everydayminerals'..Can you only buy it online ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭cupcake

I recommend Estee Lauder Double Wear & MAC Studio Fix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Ruthee

yeah im pretty sure you can only buy it online..its really cheap..$12 dollars for a foundation, shipping isnt too bad either..even if you could get it over here,it would prob be 3 times that..rip off ireland and all that

• Advertisement

Have any ladies out there ever used make up from the brand 'La Roche Posay'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭lilly07

MAC's foundations - very thick and creamy with brilliant coverage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

I went into the Mac experts a few years ago to ask them to match my skin to a foundation. ended up throwing it out as it was awful, thick and didnt match my skin at all (way too dark!) so I wouldnt rate their products or their product knowledge.

I use estee lauder disappear concealer its great. also use benefit some kinda gorgeous everyday and then loreal true match foundation if I am going out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Bourjois 10 hr sleep effect is great, as is the repulpant/reboosting one! Both give great daytime coverage without needing primer. Touch of concealer if needed then off you go....
    I use Clinique superbalanced when going out, with the linesmoothing concealer. Its brilliant for blemishes. I do use a primer under my makeup when going out, smashbox is v good. So is Dr Feelgood balm by benefit.
    I also use OOh La Lift under my eyes.
    I am dying to try the Chanel Airfix spray on foundation, but colours are limited.

BTW does anyone know if its true that Bourjois products are made by same factory/supplier as Chanels products (all the same formulations)?? Nail varnishes are identical in quality etc... It would make Bourjois the Skoda to Chanel's VW then... just a different badge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Amandy

Can you get smashbox primer in shops or only online? Just wondering! thanks.

Think you can buy in in BT's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Amandy wrote: »
    Can you get smashbox primer in shops or only online? Just wondering! thanks.

Clery's & Arnotts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

I got the smashbox primer in rose finlays pharmacy in tullamore or athlone cant remember which one was a present...some chemists stock smashbox around the country so you dont have to travel to dublin/galway or toehr main cities to get it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

thalia_13 wrote: »
    BTW does anyone know if its true that Bourjois products are made by same factory/supplier as Chanels products (all the same formulations)?? Nail varnishes are identical in quality etc... It would make Bourjois the Skoda to Chanel's VW then... just a different badge

I've heard that before too. It's true of some of it's products but not all.I can only remember blushers from the list though. I don't think it's true of foundations. I don't think I'd have forgotten that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement