Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Citroën - How Bad?

Options
  • 14-12-2007 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

I've driven an Opel Zafira (1.6) for the last 18 months.

This week I've been driving a Citroën C4 Picasso (1.8). I have to say, it's light years ahead of the Opel - fcuking light years. Now I know there is a certain stigma attached to Citroëns - reliability, residual and the like. But after driving the thing, I'm actually impressed with it :eek:

So if there's anybody here who has/had a Citroën, let me know what you think/though of it. I'd be interested to hear what owners think of the marque that brought us the Chicken Coup (2CV) :D

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Had a Xsara van for a couple of years which is the same as the car but without the seats etc. Have to say I was very happy with it, put a good few miles on the clock without any bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

delly wrote: »
    .......Xsara van for a couple of years ........... put a good few miles on the clock without any bother.

Was it a HDi? I've heard some good reports about that engine.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

'twas the base model, 01 D, AFAIR it had the lesser engine than the HDi.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 snowmanone

crosstownk wrote: »
    I've driven an Opel Zafira (1.6) for the last 18 months.

This week I've been driving a Citroën C4 Picasso (1.8). I have to say, it's light years ahead of the Opel - fcuking light years. Now I know there is a certain stigma attached to Citroëns - reliability, residual and the like. But after driving the thing, I'm actually impressed with it :eek:

So if there's anybody here who has/had a Citroën, let me know what you think/though of it. I'd be interested to hear what owners think of the marque that brought us the Chicken Coup (2CV) :D
    Iv a white berlingo van 2.0 ltr hdi with super tiny wheels and it out performs a lot of big fancy cars, handling and power wise all the time.. great yolk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Had a Citroen Saxo that never gave any trouble over 80000 hard driven miles in my hands. It's still in the family. Citroen make great diesels too and always have; if you get a C4 make sure it's a HDi (and your pocket will thank you under the new tax system). Probably better to hold off till July to get one though.

EDIT: not entirely true about the Saxo, this week the rear brakes disintegrated. That's probably because they hadn't been looked since the car was bought though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

There have been Citroens in my extended family for 11 years now and none have given a minutes bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Citreon-how bad ,very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I've had tons of them and driven yet more of them - only because I've been driving years, note.

C15 (mini van)
    C25 (Transit-sized van)
    C35 (aircraft carrier -sized van, with no PS and Pug 504 internals)
    CX 25 GTi Turbo
    BX 19 TRD TurboD
    BX 19 TZD TurboD
    BX 19 D enterprise (same as the Xsara in earlier post, imagine a big BX hatch with 'fake back doors' and just the front seats)
    AX 14 TZS (3 doors, same as GT but in 'bourgeois' attire)
    XM HDi

My Dad's had even more (CXs, BXs, XMs)and currently drives a C5 HDi (on his second, put 223,000 miles on the last C5 and only changed because it's a company car). My Mum drives a C3 Pluriel (the "convert" one).

Nothing but good things to say, throughout the family :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Reliability is a very relative measure these days. A recent survey showed that the least reliable car of all (an Alfa GTV) would typically have one fault per year

Tbh I couldn't really call that unreliable in absolute terms, although I'm the first to grant that the average Toyota Corolla will typically only have one fault per 25 million years :rolleyes:

From personal experience of recent Citroens, I was very disappointed with the Xsara (diesel) but I was impressed with the ride on terrible country roads in a C5

It says a lot that Rolls-Royce paid Citroen money for the use of its hydropneumatic suspension system :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Unkel,

You were disappointed with the Xsara (diesel)

Did it have reliability problems or was it that you just didn't like it?

PS not a Citroen driver, lover etc, but in relation to the original post you should clarify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don't think Citroen are any worse than Renault or Peugeot, they have more of a stigma attached to them than these two, probably as people get scared by hydropnuematic suspension or similarly scary prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Ive had a couple of xantias, never had any problems. In fact Im thinking of buying another one (got a 406 at the moment) and imo I'll take a citroen over an opel any day.(had a couple of them too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭halkar

Have been driven Citroen's last 8 years, Xsara 2.0HDI and now C4 1.6 HDI. Never have been to garage other than routine services. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've never driven a Citroen but I think the C6 is a fantastic looking car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Had no end of problems in my current job with our C4 van conversions, they've all been replaced before their original intended write-off time due to repeat failures; but I had a new-type Berlingo in a previous job that was indesctructable and fairly decent to drive; I'm presuming the car version of its much the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Citroen - how bad ?

Not bad at all.

No, they arent in the top division for reliability or customer satisfaction, but dont let that mislead you. Nor listen to folk who think that except for about 5 makes, all other cars spend most of the time being repaired or are bad cars even if they are working.

The standard of car design and construction is so much better than 20+ years ago and any will most likely serve its purpose admirably. But established reputations and prejudices are very slow to change (particularly by those who have an obsessive need to justify the superiority of their own motor over others).

Several excellent features of a BX I had were superior to the ones on my modern 'superior' design and make. Father's XM was an fantastic car in many ways. Check out pictures of the new C5 - the look might well do for Citroen what the 156 did for Alfa (although Alfa bungled their golden opportunity to break out of the bad reputation rut with build quality)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Oilrig wrote: »
    Unkel,

You were disappointed with the Xsara (diesel)

Did it have reliability problems or was it that you just didn't like it?

We had a brand new Xsara and a Corolla for two weeks as rental cars - about 5 years ago

The Corolla was horribly bland to drive, but to be honest the Xsara wasn't miles ahead. A car unworthy to have the Citroen badge imho. Unlike the BX, Xantia, C5 etc. of recent times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Xsara Picasso for last 3 years. Love it, would buy another (would particularly buy a C4 Picasso) but it would be diesel next time. No reliability problems, cheap to maintain, comfortable to drive, versatile. What more do you want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

Friend had a C5, was on first name terms with every recovery truck driver in Dublin. Wouldnt buy one with your money!

Dan_B wrote: »
    Friend had a C5, was on first name terms with every recovery truck driver in Dublin. Wouldnt buy one with your money!

Typical example of how these prejudices are propagated and exagerated.

Of course he wasnt really on first name terms with every recovery truck driver in Dublin. But dont let the truth get in the way of a good line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The parents had a Xsara the facelift 1.4. It was a very solid car on the road for the size...It's put the Golf to shame that way.

There were a few electics issues
    1. The radio wouldn't switch off...sorted for free by a guy that works in Halfords next to where my mam works
    2. The airbag relay came loose and local Citroen dealer charged €220 to reconnect it
    3. The right indicator relay failed meaning that it was on constant....another main dealer job.

Then again, my uncle had the indicator and airbag troubles with his Passat.

No more unreliable than a Skoda really.

Typical example of how these prejudices are propagated and exagerated.

Of course he wasnt really on first name terms with every recovery truck driver in Dublin. But dont let the truth get in the way of a good line

Don't take it personally :confused:
    For those who can't read between the lines.
    MY MATE HAD A C5 AND IT BROKE DOWN A LOT.

Nothing personal at all.:)

But advising avoiding a brand on your representative sample of 1 car breaking down on several ocasions?

Too much is made of car brand reliability. The variations, (while they do exist), are so small that they have minimal consequences on the car's usefulness to you. If it were so important then the whole world would buy Toyotas and all its competitors would go out of business (even Toyata - was it last year or the previous year they had to recall over a million new cars?).

Reputations for unreliability are not a result of prejudical posts here or anywhere else, more to do with years of producing unreliable cars.
    Don't take my word for it, exert from JD power survey.
    Which cars are fighting a losing battle against reliability? You guessed it: they're French. Eight out of the ten least reliable cars come from across the Channel, with the Peugeot 807 propping up the table.

The dismal people-ferrier is joined by two further Peugeots (the 307 and 407), a pair of Citroens (C3 and C8) and a trio of Renaults (the Megane, Espace and Scenic), with only the Range Rover and Ford S-MAX preventing a Gallic whitewash of the bottom ten.

In fact, the highest place Peugeot can manage is a miserable 134th for the now-defunct 206, while the highest-placing French car is the Renault Modus in, erm, 88th spot. As unreliable as une voiture Française? Malheureusement, oui.

Dan_B wrote: »
    Reputations for unreliability are not a result of prejudical posts here or anywhere else, more to do with years of producing unreliable cars.
    Don't take my word for it, exert from JD power survey.

I do think decades of marketing skill and branding have has much to do with it, if not more, than the reals facts. Just look at the reputation of VW in Ireland - still living off a (merited versus its competion at the time) reputation for build quality of 20 or 30 years ago. Lots of folk buying Passats these days think they are getting a machine that is better quality than an Avensis or an Octavia - but in fact it is inferior. But not by so much that it will cut across their use of it - its still a very good car.

Just out of interest, this survey has citroen in the top ten (and Merc and Audi in the worst 10!). JD power is a satisfaction index rather than an objective relaibililty statistic.
    http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/top10.html?apc=3128339010848601

Concerns about reliability and build quality are really just a legacy concern from the days when cars really were buggers to keep going and to depend on.
    The Japanese shook up the motoring world 30 years ago and the rest of the world has had to up their game - and generally have done so. Its just not the issue it used to be - and people place far too much emphasis on this aspect. Buy the car that has the space, performance, facilities, look and feel, and price that suits you.

Or another one:

http://www.carpages.co.uk/go.asp?session=8@9@161936@18420220@4608

Maybe its just damned lies and statistics.
    Citroen Xsara rnaks higer than a Golf, A3, Mondeo, 3-series for example.

Not trying to blow the trumpet for Citoen in particular btw. Just think there are to many accepted truisms in motoring that have little or no foundation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Have had a 1.4 ZX for 2 years, other than replacing a lightbulb, no issues.

Have also currently got a 97 1.9 diesel Xantia for 4 years now ...currently on 147 K miles, 50 K of those done by us, only problems have been a burnt out starter motor, suspension spheres needed regassing and plastic clip on clutch broke. Otherwise normal servicing. Great comfortable and reliable car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I bought a Dispatch 2.0 HDi van new in 2004 and it was one of the best yokes I ever had, as some others said, it was faster than lots of so called performance cars, handled really well and was great on Diesel too. It never gave me a days trouble either.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Have no experience of owning a Citroen as none of their range really appealed to me but they have given the motor industry alot of good things over the decades. The DS stands at the front of the list for me. Hydraulic suspension and adaptive front headlights, etc.

Yes they may have lost their way a little since the 1980s they do seem to be making bit of a comeback now, the C4 Piscaso and forthcoming new C5 are supposed to be good cars. And they always made good diesel engines, my current Focus has a HDi unit and I cannot fault it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

i have a 2003 2.0l C5 in perfect nick, great car very solid, never had trouble in 2 years and sailed the NCT last april.
    Looking to sell it only due to not needing a big car now. Would love a fiesta, polo etc 2003

Great car and would by again. in fact would get a C2 to replace it

Advertisement