Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Christmas Message from the Minister for the Environment to Owners of High Emissions C

Options
  • 14-12-2007 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭

From the www.askaboutmoney.com site

Originally Posted by JohnGormless
    To all askaboutmoney members: Feel free to distribute this....

Christmas Message from the Minister for the Environment to Owners of High Emissions Cars.

Dear High-Emissions Motorist,

Now that Christmas is approaching, I would like to announce a special gift for all owners of high-emissions vehicles. I would like you to continue to enjoy your polluting ways and I have therefore ensured that my new annual motor tax system will not penalise you. You will just continue to pay your motor tax on the same basis as you always have. To reward you for your choice of vehicle, my new system will also ensure that you will enjoy a discounted rate of motor tax after 1st July 2008. While the rates for new high-emissions cars will rise substantially after this date, you will be protected & will continue to enjoy the current lower ones.

For those of you who have not yet purchased your gas guzzler, I am giving you another six months during which you will be able to do so. And you really should. If you buy one before 1st July 2008, I will ensure that you enjoy all the same benefits as those who have already made this choice. You will also get the discounted rate of motor tax after July 1st. As an added bonus, the trade-in value of your vehicle will probably rise because it will continue to benefit from the lower tax rate indefinitely.

Don’t worry about those idiots who believed us and have bought their low-emissions car in the last few years. As they’re already signed up, we will just rip them off. I have ensured that their cars will continue to be stuck on the high motor tax rates permanently. After July 1st, they will be at a serious disadvantage and their cars will probably depreciate heavily as a result. To make certain of this, I have decided that my new tax rates will also apply to imported used cars. Low emissions ones imported after July 1st will benefit from much lower motor tax rates than identical ones already registered here. I really can’t stop congratulating myself on the cleverness of this – it will just crucify the resale value of all existing low emissions cars. I’m sure you will take great pleasure in the fact that those who have already chosen the cleanest cars (e.g. the Toyota Prius and family-sized diesels like the Skoda Octavia TDi) will probably fare worst of all.

Once again, my message is clear – continue your high emissions motoring & I will continue to look after you. I wish you a Happy Christmas and pleasant motoring in the new year.

Yours Sincerely,

John Gormless

Your Green Environment Minister,
    Supporting High-Emissions Motoring in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

I cant agree more , as I said in other threads I think this move was more for effect than affect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

I know this article is a gag, but if the Minister is really intending to apply the new CO2 type VRT system to used imports I'd imagine it will end up in the High Court...

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Why do you think that oilrig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They didn't think that one through (except they did - they thought in terms of simple admin).

Mike.

Advertisement