Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Boards.ie just got it's 100,000th member...

Options
  • 14-12-2007 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

Never realised it was this big but it's a bit mad when you think about it- Boards.ie has more people in it than say Kilkenny!!! or Waterford? or 10 other counties of Ireland apparently???

100,000 is a lot of people.

Granted one third of these members have never posted a comment and two thirds haven't posted more than 5 comments but still they've all registered...
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭insafehands

I remember there was a thread ages ago about a boards.ie political party or something.

Really is an interesting idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Yeah, Atari Jaguar reaches a full quota on the first count!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

"Members: 129,050"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Is there any accurate info on how many active members there are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Tá Mé Gaeilge

Karoma wrote: »

Oh where are ya getting that? My bad if i;m wrong but i'm going from the members list which says 100027 and went over the 100,000 mark a few hours ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Karoma wrote: »

What about those with multiple personality disorders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

That's account created rather than actual people using the site... I would imagine there are some people with duplicate accounts.

Still impressive though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Oh where are ya getting that? My bad if i;m wrong but i'm going from the members list which says 100027 and went over the 100,000 mark a few hours ago

stats on the bottom of the front page show that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

ejmaztec wrote: »
    What about those with multiple personality disorders?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/ - waaay down the bottom.
    It's like counting the population of a place, including the people buried there.

(Moved to Feedback: It's the appropriate forum + admins are more likely to see it)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Is it that time again??

We get this sort of thread a lot, there are several threads in feedback which cover the myriad of ways of cutting slicing and dicing our numbers. We're very open with our stats.

My best guesstimate is that 30K people use the site reasonably regularly (every week or two). I'm not going to go through all the stats again as we had a thread reasonably recently where I did a break down of it.

Amazingly about 1/4 of the people who try to get here fail the sign up process despited a million reminders to click the link we send them and to look in Junk folders for the mail. We even put that, in red, in the error screen they get. Still its by far and away the biggest single issue we have to deal with. Which we dont. We need less dumb people here.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

DeVore wrote: »
    Which we dont. We need less dumb people here.

DeV.

Dear gods yes!
    When can the culling begin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I remember when there was less than 40,000 members.

So the members list says 100,039 and the Boards.ie statistics says Members: 129,067. Why the differance?

Does the second figure count people who have been kicked out or left, if so have 29,028 people been kicked out? Or is this as DeVore said the amount of people who didn't click the link to fully create their account?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jaysus I remember when the memberlist was just about 100 or so, god I am old !!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

DeVore wrote: »
    We need less dumb people here.

DeV.

when are you leaving?

wacca wacca wacca :)

alright, its nearly christmas and ive been in the sherry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Dear gods yes!
    When can the culling begin ?

wouldnt boards.ie be a boring place if everyone had a same opinion though? ;)

faceman wrote: »
    wouldnt boards.ie be a boring place if everyone had a same opinion though? ;)

NO!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

NO!

hypothetical example:

Thread as follows:
    OP: Bertie is not a liar
    1) I agree
    2) oh yes i agree, he handled himself so well during the tribunal
    3) +1
    4) +1
    5) insert cat picture
    6) Thread locked, we've discussed all there is to discuss about this

:p

faceman wrote: »
    hypothetical example:

Thread as follows:
    OP: Bertie is not a liar
    1) I agree
    2) oh yes i agree, he handled himself so well during the tribunal
    3) +1
    4) +1
    5) insert cat picture
    6) Thread locked, we've discussed all there is to discuss about this

:p

dude, you were spposed to just say no.

youve completely ruined the joke now :(

dude, you were spposed to just say no.

youve completely ruined the joke now :(

oops, the penny just dropped. sorry dude, its early and im hungover. :(

[/spanks himself]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

no- the one third that have never posted a comment is included in the two thirds....

hate getting all mathematical but if you look at the members list ust over 30,000 have posted more than 5 comments, and just over 30,000 have never posted any comment at all

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

On most message boards there is a 10:1 lurker:poster ratio. We actually have a higher proportion of posters here then usual. Something about all of them having an opinion or something ... :rolleyes: :)

I dont mind opposing opinions, but dumb ones... euwwww! :)

DeV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Most people I know, in my class etc, just lurk, don't even have an account.
    I know they are on here when they go, '21 thousand posts, wtf.' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Most people I know, in my class etc, just lurk
    Pervs :eek:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

What's with the count at the bottom of each forum where it says X members and Y guests viewing? The number of members stated often is more than the number listed. For example, before this post I checked and it said 14 viewing this forum, 8 members and 6 guests, but there were only 6 members, including myself, named. Are there people out there with internet cloaking technology?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

in a word, yes. You can set yourself to be invisible and then are excluded from that list.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If you change to invisible mode your name doesnt register on the list AFAIK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Thanks guys, didn't know that

Advertisement