Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird for a child

Options
  • 15-12-2007 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

My daughter really would like a bird - she has wanted one for a couple of years now and we feel with our help she would be able to care for one.

What type of bird would be good for a child and be quite friendly / gentle? Would one or two be better, male or female? I hear some birds can become very attached to one member of the family and we would need a bird that copes well with all members of the family.

I would really like a bird that is already pretty tame, perhaps hand reared. I have no idea who a reputable breeder would be or which pet shop to go to. We are in N County Dub.

I would really welcome any suggestions from anyone who knows about birds.

Thanks
    Tess

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

How old is your daughter??

What kind of budget do you have??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

Bengalese finches are really sweet and fairly easy to care for, I used to breed them. Not noisy like canaries or love birds which I also bred. Although canary song is beautiful, a male going full blast at 6am very loud and not everyone wants to be woken up that way.

Birds are lovely pets but they aren't always tame enough to be "hands on" as a hamster or gerbils would be ? Is she sure she wants a pet she can't handle. Not trying to discourage her but if she is bored it will be you who has to care for it. Guinea pigs are gorgoues pets for children if you have space for a hutch outside and access to a patch of grass in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Bengalese finches are really sweet and fairly easy to care for, I used to breed them. Not noisy like canaries or love birds which I also bred. Although canary song is beautiful, a male going full blast at 6am very loud and not everyone wants to be woken up that way.

The OP wants a tame bird, finches don't tame half well enough to be handled.

OP- I would suggest a male budgie. Get a baby and it won't matter if it was hand reared or not. Cockatiels are fantastic too but are more timid, unless they are hand reared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

LuckyStar wrote: »
    OP- I would suggest a male budgie. Get a baby and it won't matter if it was hand reared or not. Cockatiels are fantastic too but are more timid, unless they are hand reared.

I agree a baby Budgie, Just a few weeks out of the nesting box is the best bird you can get with a child in mind, Canaries and finches tend to have heart attacks if roughly handled so I would not recommend one. Cockateils are great but they have a nasty bite.

Advertisement