Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best method to apply thermal paste and how much to use!

• 15-12-2007 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

is it possible to use too much thermal paste?

i applied about a decent pea sized amount last night on the northbridge chipset and seated the cooler on it.

should i cover the whole lot?

whats the best method? spread it out or paste it on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yes, quite possible.

The old adage: "less is more" applies here.

The thermal paste is only there because it basically goes, in order of conductivity: [heat sink metal] > [thermal paste] > [air].

All you want is to have TIM where you would have air, too much and you end up with a "finger cream" interface, where the limiting factor for thermal conductivity becomes the thermal paste.

Ideally you would want to have a metal-to-metal interface between heat sink and heat spreader.

Remember, air is bad!

Woops, rambled on a bit there and forgot other parts of your post.

Generally a pea size amount is fine, the pressure of your northbridge cooler will smear it out over the entire surface.

Some people like applying a very thin layer all over, using a credit card or something similar. Just as long as all those nasty imperfections where air can be trapped are clogged up with TIM, that's all that matters.

You can experiment with different methods, but it may take time in between "setting in" periods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

so should i remove it, clean it, and re-apply?

Well, what way did you apply it initially?

My advice: run a few tests, overclocking FSB, raise northbridge voltage, etc. see how it holds up. Then, remove, clean and reapply using one of the methods listed. Rinse and repeat and see which one gives you the best results.

i put a pea size on. and slightly spread it around. then installed the cooler.

it looks decent enough. and i dont think its too much. ill see how the clocking goes first, and what temps im getting etc.

thanks for the help :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Well with a NB it's not really going to matter anyway because they don't produce that much heat. But yeah, you generally want to put a small amount in the centre or a line on dual core cpu's and then use the pressure of the cooler to spread it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I tried & tested several different amounts once & found that a rice grain size amount produced the best results, but then again i always lap my cpu & cooler to have as much metal to metal contact. I also tried out cool laboratory liquid which gave amazing results (6'c +), pity it welded the Ihs to my cooler tho, got them apart eventually but had to lapp again. Not trying that again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    but then again i always lap my cpu & cooler to have as much metal to metal contact.

what do you use to lap it ?, how much does it drop temps by ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

actually nevermind, more details in other thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

hey just seen this and it most likly answers ur question :

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=635

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

MooseJam wrote: »
    what do you use to lap it ?, how much does it drop temps by ?

I used a sheet of each of the following grade sandpapers, 240, 400, 600, 800, 1200, 1500. You can also go a step further and finish with 2000 grade, but i couldn't find any in the motor factors. Temps drop by 5-7'C (and a further 3-5'c by usin cool labs over silver5, pity bout it welding it). Remember it completely voids your warranty. There are a few good guides if ya google.

You'll probably end up taking the skin off the tips of your fingers till they bleed, I did 1st time, so be prepared. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Thermal paste goes here nuffdzhxfwqkcbac2wqbem9.jpg

oh jesus. i didnt use that much!

not being silly, but does puttng thermal paste there do anything special?
    i thought thermal paste only goes between the cooler and the top of the processor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Meh, nothing really probably just render the computer useless. That was done by the same chap that cut his graphics card to fit into the slot I assume. ;)

yeah , doing that kinda thing is a very very very very bad idea , unless you want to see 150euros vanish in the touch of a button :D

Holy crap! What was he hoping that would achieve?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

he came on some forum asking how to apply tim and someguy on the forum messingly told him to do that and he came on a couple of hours later saying his board went on fire and posted the pics, clearly he didn't just google his question:rolleyes:

so maybe i should google it instead of asking here ;)
    dont want a fire now do i :P

so maybe i should google it instead of asking here ;)
    dont want a fire now do i :P

hehe , tim goes on the outside of the processor :P

ah now i know where to put it :P
    just wasnt sure of the amount.

i decided i might take a shot at lapping. but want to get it running first.

• Advertisement

ah now i know where to put it :P
    just wasnt sure of the amount.

i decided i might take a shot at lapping. but want to get it running first.

well yeah ,some people spread , some people but 2 lines , some people 1 line , some people use a small dot ,

aslong as you dont do what he's done it'll be grand :D

Advertisement