Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help-Couple of test questions!

Options
  • 15-12-2007 3:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi There folks,
    Have a test coming up in the next few days and have a couple of questions.
    Been to two different instructors and I’ve received different advice and I’m a bit confused.

OK
    Roundabouts
    1st exit stay in left if there’s two lanes?
    2nd exit stay in right if there’s two lanes?
    3rd exit stay in right if there’s two lanes?

What gear should I be in heading into a roundabout?

Do you lose marks for going too slow?

Also on my previous test there was a right turn at a fourway way junction and normally there was space for two lanes of traffic on my side, but stupid bus had pulled in front of the row of cars turning left so they were half way into right, my lane, so as the light was green and no traffic was coming on the other side of lane..I went for it half of my car crossed the white line and I turned right.
    Now was that sheer lunacy?! Should you always observe the white line?

Also, when driving in the test should I exagarate it when I throw an eye in the mirror? Reason being I was marked down for this before, I was convinced that I’d looked in mirrors but the tested obviously didn’t see that. Will I lose marks for being theatrical?!

Oh yeah, and does throwing a baby seat into the back seat have any impact on your pass rate?!….:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

It was left lane at roundabouts for 1st exit and 2nd exit, right lane for 3rd or more exits if there are 2 lanes when i did my test/got instructions.

The gear going into the roundabout is situation dependent i.e. how big/small it is, how clear your vision is of the other exits & oncoming traffic onto the roundabout (especially to your right). Generally you would slow to a safe speed as you approach the roundabout to observe & assess the situation to see if you need to slow further, come to a stop or if you are able to safely join the roundabout and take the required exit.

Your gear choice should match the speed you are going (so the engine isn't struggling or racing).

You *can* lose marks for going too slow (they call it failing to make reasonable progress). You can lose marks for failing to make reasonable progress on other things such as waiting for extra large gaps to join a roundabout, making turns and generally going a bit too slow and playing it safe. Again its situation dependent as you don't want to be conscious of reasonable progress and rush into a gap that isn't large enough or isn't safe as this would probably instantly disqualify you rather than getting a mark in the green or blue). It's about being confident and competent enough to make the correct decision for the situation.

With your situation regarding the bus in your last test it is hard to say whats right and wrong. On one hand the better option might have been to hold back and wait for the bus to sort itself out and show you are reading the situation (but possibly get a mark for not making reasonable progress). On the other hand you might have been able to safely observe that there was no oncoming traffic coming against you and that it was safe to proceed.

If in your last test if you had to cross the white line to drive on the wrong side of the road to make the turn (even if there was none coming against you) then in my opinion I would say that you probably got marked down for that. Again its all situation dependent which is not what you want to hear!

You are recommended to exaggerate looking in your mirrors as the tester can't really see if you just "flick" your eyes across. He needs to see the head move and look into the mirror to know you are doing it. One small trick that some people like to use is to slightly offset there passenger mirror and rear view mirror a fraction more to the left than they would normally have it which means you have to physically move your head a little so check your mirrors so you won't forget to do it in the test.

Also, don't get put off when/if you see the tester going to mark something on his sheet and you haven't done anything. Testers sometimes wait a short while before they mark down something, so don't let it get to you if your driving down a perfectly straight road, obeying the speed limit doing nothing wrong and he marks the sheet....it could have been something that happened 3 streets before. Keep the head and concentrate on the rest of the test, chances are its something small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You are recommended to exaggerate looking in your mirrors as the tester can't really see if you just "flick" your eyes across. He needs to see the head move and look into the mirror to know you are doing it. One small trick that some people like to use is to slightly offset there passenger mirror and rear view mirror a fraction more to the left than they would normally have it which means you have to physically move your head a little so check your mirrors so you won't forget to do it in the test.

I would say do not exaggerate any head movements. Testers are supposed to be trained observers, he can see if you're checking your mirrors. Definitely do not move your mirrors so you have to move your head further to look in them, you could get marked for not having the mirrors set up correctly for normal driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 johnnyirish

Thanks for that guys, had the misfortune to come across my assessment sheet from the first time. Didn’t make for pleasant reading..21 faults, 16 of which were grade two!
    How many faults am I allowed, impression I get is failed enough in one test to fail two tests let alone one!

Rules
    One Grade 2
    Position
    Turning right - One Grade 2
    Stopping - One Grade 2
    Reaction to Hazards - Two Grade 2
    Mirrors
    At roundabouts - One Grade 2
    Slowing/stopping - - One Grade 2
    Clearance/Overtake - One Grade 2
    Progress
    On the straight - One Grade 2
    Vehicle Control …eekk
    Clutch - four grade twos
    Gears - two grade ones
    Handbrake - two grade twos
    Secondary controls - One Grade ones
    Technical checks - One Grade one
    Right of way, at roundabout - One Grade 2

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You'll fail if you get 9 or more Grade 2s in total, but you'll also fail if you get 6 Grade 2s in the one section, or 4 grade 2s in the one row.
    OK
    Roundabouts
    1st exit stay in left if there’s two lanes?
    2nd exit stay in right if there’s two lanes?
    3rd exit stay in right if there’s two lanes?

What gear should I be in heading into a roundabout?

Left lane for 1st exit or straight ahead. (Big debate about that on another thread here).
    Right-hand lane for exits after 12 o'clock position.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

One of my instructors told me that it's not enough to simply "eyeball" those side mirrors - you should not only be observing as required but being *seen* to be observing as required.

I feel for you re: getting different advice from different instructors, I've a few problems with that myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I would, in a test situation, exaggerate my head movements to show them i'm checking my mirrors. I've recently passed my test and did exactly that and didn't get marked down for it. As my instructor said, they're only human, they can't possibly notice every bat of the eyes. Just make sure, deliberate movements with your head, because it's almost impossible for the tester to tell if you're checking your mirrors out of the corner of your eye given the testers position in the car.

Alan

Oh and good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

At the start of the test the examiner will say:-
    Now, would you please ensure that the seat, seat-belt, head restraint, and mirrors are properly adjusted and that your door is properly closed.

Therefore, bad idea to drive off with misaligned mirrors.

He further says:-
    Now, you should drive in your normal manner. I will tell you in good time when to turn left or right, otherwise you follow the course of the road. If you have any doubts about my directions ask me to repeat or clarify them. You may start when you are ready

Standard Procedure for Conducting Driving Tests

He does not say. As I am slow/stupid/blind/not properly trained Would you please exaggerate your head/eye movements in order that I may catch your mirror and observation checks.

If you get marked for mirrors or observation it is not because the examiner did not see your eye movement, it is because you did not either look or because you did not check/look at correct times.

Advertisement