Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Iluminated Cats Eyes

Options
  • 15-12-2007 3:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

Anyone noticed these??
    Self iluminating cats eyes.....I saw new cats eyes being fitted a week or so ago between the Tap and Beehive on the N11 but noticed the other night that they seem to be self iluminating......
    How do they do this????
    I guess LED's with some sort of solar charged battery....but id love to know.
    I remember reading about "inteligent" cats eyes a few years ago that go red if its icy...green if its not.
    These iluminated ones look awesome and are a great idea on such a bad strech of road.
    Is this a pilot scheme?
    Are they in use anywhere else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

They're on a stretch of road in Cork, between Innishannon, and the Halfway roundabout. It's very cool at night time, they're blue in colour, and even though I shouldn't do it, it's even cooler if you turn off your lights for a split second when there's nothing around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

I didnt know we had these in ireland. They are solar charged and in some parts of the UK they have reduced accidents by up to 70%.

http://motortorque.askaprice.com/news/auto-0711/solarpowered-cats-eyes-get-goahead-on-uk-roads.asp

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

ned78 wrote: »
    They're on a stretch of road in Cork, between Innishannon, and the Halfway roundabout. It's very cool at night time, they're blue in colour, and even though I shouldn't do it, it's even cooler if you turn off your lights for a split second when there's nothing around.

And the reason they are there is because there have been multiple serious crashes involving deaths at that bend so folk shouldn't turn off their lights to have a gawk...

Advertisement