Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian Injustice WARNING!!

• 15-12-2007 6:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Important notice to veggies everywhere -

The Lemongrass chain of restaurants have a number of dishes on their menu that contain meat , but can also be done in 'Vegetarian' style.
    The most common definition of vegetarian, I'm sure you agree, is a person who does not eat meat or fish, but does eat milk and eggs.
    However, these dishes they claim are vegetarian friendly contain fish and oyster sauce.
    An example is Sizzling Noodles, Nasi Goreng, Singapore Noodles..
    It is clearly stated on the menu that a purely vegetarian option is available, which of course, I have discovered is not the case, by chance of coming across the sauce, etc in stock.
    I do not think it is fair to be fooling the customers like this,

I talked to the manager, was promised things would change but there has been no move made on the matter.
    I make it a point of telling the diners, and a lot are outraged at this injustice.
    ONe expects to be informed truthfully of a meals ingredients in any establishment, especially one such as The Lemongrass that portrays itself as a healthier, better choice restaurant.

Quite aside from the ethical matters, if someone who was allergic to seafood ordered the above dishes, it could result in a medical emergency.

Nobody seems to care!!!
    Just thought id warn you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭armada104

Tar.Aldarion, I think it's a shame you locked that thread, I was looking forward to dSTAR's response, or whether he would give one. It looks a bit weak to lock a thread just because it has some negative comments about vegetarianism in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Probably broke the rules or something. We don't break rules around these parts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭armada104

Nature Boy wrote: »
    Probably broke the rules or something. We don't break rules around these parts :D

Not as far as I can see, he/she didn't give a reason for the locking, other than that the thread was a "monstrosity". I know this forum's not for the posting of spam abuse aimed at vegetarians, but dSTAR was the only one who posted what to some extent was a reasoned argument. I was looking forward to discussing it with him.

Those who posted abuse had come from After Hours and were obviously not familiar with the rules or did not realise the thread had been moved. In After Hours, a bit of slagging's the norm, and what was said was reflective of the crap we have to put up with in real life. From my perspective locking a thread because of unfavourable comments looks terribly weak.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It was locked because there was another thread with the exact same content created, without the ah posts. If they want to post, they can post it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

lillykay wrote: »
    Important notice to veggies everywhere -

The Lemongrass chain of restaurants have a number of dishes on their menu that contain meat , but can also be done in 'Vegetarian' style.
    The most common definition of vegetarian, I'm sure you agree, is a person who does not eat meat or fish, but does eat milk and eggs.
    However, these dishes they claim are vegetarian friendly contain fish and oyster sauce.
    An example is Sizzling Noodles, Nasi Goreng, Singapore Noodles..
    It is clearly stated on the menu that a purely vegetarian option is available, which of course, I have discovered is not the case, by chance of coming across the sauce, etc in stock.
    I do not think it is fair to be fooling the customers like this,

I talked to the manager, was promised things would change but there has been no move made on the matter.
    I make it a point of telling the diners, and a lot are outraged at this injustice.
    ONe expects to be informed truthfully of a meals ingredients in any establishment, especially one such as The Lemongrass that portrays itself as a healthier, better choice restaurant.

Quite aside from the ethical matters, if someone who was allergic to seafood ordered the above dishes, it could result in a medical emergency.

Nobody seems to care!!!
    Just thought id warn you.

Vegetarianism dosnt lend itself very well to some asian foods where fish sauce, oyster sauce, dried shrimp, bonito flakes ect. are an important part of the dish.In food like this there cant be a suplement without it inpairing the taste badly.
    This is because the countries of origin havnt got a vegetarian population to speak of.
    Here is another warning,
    You might or might not know that most chinese take aways use cooking oil to make their curry sauce.....vast amounts of oil, flour, curry powder, msg ect....the truly shocking thing is that most of them use old dirty cooking oil......Oil that has been used in a deep fat fryer for a few days and has gone dark in colour.....mainly due to deepfrying of duck, ribs, prawns ect ect.
    Just think about that next time you order a Take Away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

I think its just best to avoid chinese food altogether unless you make it yourself at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Agree with that about Chinese take-away food.

But I think some of the more upmarket Chinese restaurants should be a bit better, based on the assumption that the customers will not be expecting skanky mixed flavours from days old cooking oil (even non-veggies).

Advertisement