Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin...

Options
  • 15-12-2007 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

Hey Mods, slap me down or move this to the History/Heritage forum if you want. I do think though, that this forum might benefit from a thread like this or even a sub forum.

My little pedantic outburst (too strong a word I know, but I am a nerdy archaeologist :p) about the origins of Blackpitts prompted me to post the following pictures.

The two pits in the images were excavated in the Ardee Street area. I had the pleasure to visit the site but not work it, unfortunately. I did dig another tannery the following year though at New Street/Fumbally Lane. I will dig out the photos of this dig at some stage. If posters have strong stomachs I will outline the tanning process at a later stage....:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Socky72

Hey, I am only a newbie but it does make sense for historic dublin to be in dublin city as well as perhaps a link to history forum.

Pics are great. What era are they? Fire up our imaginations with what Dublin was like at the time and that will get the interest going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

I'd be interested in hearing that boneless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

The pits in the images were from the late 18th century. In the Fumbally Lane site we think we may even have had earlier ones, 17th to early 18th century. The sites were a bit hard to to date due to a lot of disturbance over the ages. There may be some new info on the dating but it will take me a while to source it.

Not sure if I should outline the tanning process yet... let ye all digest brekkie first!!:p

The material culture we found was amazing... lots of wine bottles and clay pipes spanning three hundred years. See, Dubs were the same then as now... smokin' and drinkin'!! Also, oysters seem to have been a major part of the diet, along with mutton, pork and beef. There were also the remains of an early brewery in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Great idea for a thread boneless. :) Hopefully the mods won't move it. I'm always interested in little bits and pieces of history and would be willing to contribute when I can.

If demolition/construction is taking place, is the developer legally required to employ the services of an archaeologist?

Here's an aerial location of Fumbally Lane for anyone who is not familiar with it.

FumballyLane.jpg

It depends on where the development is Wishbone. Blackpitts area is just outside the zone of archaeological importance but because it is so close to the old medieval city there is always testing done before any development can take place. It can be a bit hit and miss but thankfully most builders are aware of the regulations and allow adequate time for test trenches etc. The legislation could be tightened though.

You better get down to Blackpitts soon... some of the old industrial walls will be knocked. 20th century stuff but interesting in a social sense...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

boneless wrote: »
    The material culture we found was amazing... lots of wine bottles and clay pipes spanning three hundred years. See, Dubs were the same then as now... smokin' and drinkin'!!

Just found this thread and I think this is a thread well worth continuing.

I found the following about an excavation in Francis St, which might help to throw a bit of light on why so many clay pipes were found in that general area by corpo, gas and others working on main laying.

"A small pit containing the refuse from late 17th-century clay pipe manufacture was excavated at the front of No. 87 Francis Street. The finds included fragments of muffle, and this is the first definite evidence for clay pipe manufacture on Francis Street at this date."

More info about a dig in Francis St, as well as a searchable archive of excavation reports here.

I had forgotten about this thread :p!!

I'll try and "dig up" (pun intended) more photos from some of the Dublin excavations over the last few years.

Advertisement