Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cao

Options
  • 15-12-2007 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Anyone filled out thier CAO Form yet?

I really don't know what I'll put down. Basically I have two different kinda strands to pick from. I think I'd really like Psychology so I'm considering putting that down No. 1(wouldn't get the points for TCD, but I'd say I'd get into UCD). However I'm also interested in something along the lines of History, Economics and Politics so I've been considering putting down HistPol in TCD, maybe a TSM in History and Economics in TCD, BESS in TCD, PPES(the new one) in TCD and then maybe also Economics, Politics and Law in DCU.

I think myself there's kinda pro's and con's to both options. For the Psych option, I think I would like it, but it's hard to know. I don't do a Science subject and maybe it might be to "sciency". Also, the long road to actually becoming a proper Clinical Psychologist is quite arduous and daunting and even after my initial 3/4 year degree, I would have to do a further 3 years of post-grad study which is a very long route. However I do think it would be a very interesting and varied career choice and I think I'd love it. But, even after you get your Clinical Psychology masters there's still not all that many jobs around.

For the History/Politics/Economics route, the advantages would be that I really love all those three areas and I know I would enjoy studying Histroy and Politics(maybe not Economics so much as I love it at LC level but a lot of people say it gets very mathematical at Third Level which I don't think I'd like). However, many people say that it's important not to fall into the trap of doing what you really like in college and there's also the possibility that I won't get a job of any real substance. However I'm not exactly sure what I want to do so maybe the more broader degree(something like BESS) would be better for me and wouldn't tie me down as much as something like Psych would.

I just really don't know! If anyone has filled in their CAO, post it up here so I can be jealous of your decisiveness!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

Well.... You could always apply to psychology in Maynooth... that way in first year you combine it with 2 arts subjects (history and politic or economics or whatever if they don't clash with psych), and then in 2nd year you can A) continue with psychology or B) Drop psychology and continue on with your other two subjects.... Just a suggestion ^.^

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

many people say that it's important not to fall into the trap of doing what you really like in college
    ... why? I thought you're MEANT to do what you really like in college...

Did my CAO the other day, was meant to do it at the end of november but things sort of got in the way. It went as follows (If I can even remember right!):

Maths - TCD
    Core - NCAD
    Computer Science, Linguistics and Irish - TCD
    Architecture - DIT
    Engineering - TCD
    Visual Communications - DIT
    Visual Communications - IADT
    Maths - Maynooth
    Architecture - UCD
    Computer Science - TCD

I'm probably going to change it later though, not really all that certain still!

And the one level6/7 I have down so far is:

Baking and Pastry Arts Management - DIT

Yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Woop_01

CoolCiaran wrote: »

I really don't know what I'll put down. Basically I have two different kinda strands to pick from. I think I'd really like Psychology so I'm considering putting that down No. 1(wouldn't get the points for TCD, but I'd say I'd get into UCD). However I'm also interested in something along the lines of History, Economics and Politics so I've been considering putting down HistPol in TCD, maybe a TSM in History and Economics in TCD, BESS in TCD, PPES(the new one) in TCD and then maybe also Economics, Politics and Law in DCU.

I think myself there's kinda pro's and con's to both options. For the Psych option, I think I would like it, but it's hard to know. I don't do a Science subject and maybe it might be to "sciency". Also, the long road to actually becoming a proper Clinical Psychologist is quite arduous and daunting and even after my initial 3/4 year degree, I would have to do a further 3 years of post-grad study which is a very long route. However I do think it would be a very interesting and varied career choice and I think I'd love it. But, even after you get your Clinical Psychology masters there's still not all that many jobs around.

For the History/Politics/Economics route, the advantages would be that I really love all those three areas and I know I would enjoy studying Histroy and Politics(maybe not Economics so much as I love it at LC level but a lot of people say it gets very mathematical at Third Level which I don't think I'd like). However, many people say that it's important not to fall into the trap of doing what you really like in college and there's also the possibility that I won't get a job of any real substance. However I'm not exactly sure what I want to do so maybe the more broader degree(something like BESS) would be better for me and wouldn't tie me down as much as something like Psych would.

I just really don't know! If anyone has filled in their CAO, post it up here so I can be jealous of your decisiveness!

Ok for psychology it self . Yes it is very extremely problematical to study . And not like most people thing it will be . It require a vast amount of mathematics . And not to be done on computers . Only paper hand done . I would say form what most people have inform me about the psychology for science will be it would have a better help if you studied biology at higher level for LC. After all psychology does not look like what it is . That what happens to people when the study it in first year . And its third level maths after all. I hope this helps you with your choices:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

whens the deadline? 31st of january?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

There's no rush to make a decision, you can apply to the CAO and have 'pending' as you option on your course choice list (not sure how you do this online) and then make your decisions when the change of mind forms come out in May. The important thing is to have submitted your application by February 1st. Even that in itself is not the end of the world as there is a late application until some date in May, but it costs more. Once the change of mind comes into play you have until the 1st of July to change your mind as many times as you want, so conceivably you can still make changes after you have finished the exams.

The only courses you must put down on your CAO form before Feb 1st are those that require an interview/portfolio type assessment beforehand (eg Art) as the assessments normally happen before the end of the school year, but going on what you have listed, it doesn't apply to you.

So there's no big panic, you can always change it. Just don't try applying on Jan 30/31st when the whole country are trying to do the same and the system grinds to a halt (like last year).

On subject area I would say go for what you like, no point studying something you don't like just because it has better job prospects - who wants to end up doing a job they don't like. I wouldn't be too worried about how long a course takes, time passes very fast in college, better to spend a longer time studying something you like than 3 or 4 years studying something else just to get in and out of college quicker, and then end up going back in the future because you don't like what you're doing.

the few years (whether that be 4 or 7) you spend in college is very short in comparison with the 40 or so years you'll spend working after it.

good luck with whatever course you pick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

A word of advice for prospective Leaving Cert sitters, don't leave your CAO to the last minute or you'll find yourself doing it online at 4am the night before cause the website won't actually be crashing every other second. Seriously, get it out of the way before Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

However, many people say that it's important not to fall into the trap of doing what you really like in college
    Thats bollocks. You should 100% do something you like and not be thinking about job prospects at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Yeah, don't know what you mean Ciarán. Surely that's a typo?

I did mine today.
    1. TR005 Philosophy.
    2. TR209 Economics/Philosophy.
    3. TR660 Philosophy/Psychology.
    4. TR213 Economics/Spanish.
    5. TR015 Philosophy, Political Science, Economics and Sociology.
    6. LM114 Music, Media and Performance Technology
    7. DN059 Arts (International) - Spanish
    8. DN012 Arts
    9. DC132 Journalism

I know it's stupid to have Phil/Psych as option 3 when it's higher points than my first choice but meh, I'm thinking of doing Psychology and I thought I'd throw it down, I'm sure I'll be changing my mind multiple times with the order. I'll be throwing Arts in UCD down there soon as well.
    1. LC701 Music Technology and Production.
    2. DK761 Applied Cultural Studies (Language).
    3. CR640 Culinary Arts.

Always been interested in sound engineering so want to keep that option alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Timans wrote: »

I know it's stupid to have Phil/Psych as option 3 when it's higher points than my first choice but meh

A) The points aren't higher, they won't be announced until August 2008.

B) ORDER OF PREFERANCE.

Why people can't grasp these things I'll never understand.

• Advertisement

I agree, it is order of preference. I am just saying that is pointless having it down at all as if I get 565, I'll be offered Philosophy anyway, regardless. So, it's pointless having it there.

And, Phil/Psych WILL be at least above 530 so, it WILL be higher than Philosophy.

Xhristy, which language are you choosing for CSLL?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Haven't sent it off yet as I might change it over x mass

1:BCom International with chinese (commerce with chinese basically): UCC
    2:Commerce: UCC
    3:Business Studies: UL
    4:Business Information Studies:UCC
    5:Business Studies with German: UL
    6:BCom International with German: UCC

Trinity is the best college, nothing poncy about wanting to go there.

Xhristy wrote: »
    Ah I'd be doing Irish, I'd say all the CSLL students would know each other though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

JC 2K3 wrote: »

prove to me that it is the best

25 sounds a bit optimistic. :p

I was at the 12 talk, missed the first one. CSLL is only my third choice though so I dunno if I'll be doing it.

• Advertisement

Ahh right. I do recall that. I was the girl in the second row, near the edge, asking about Irish and Gaeltachts and stuff.

Irish.

Ewww..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Xhristy wrote: »

You will see ME in the computer science ones (I'm just doing CS....)..but it's definately my first option and I presume we'd be in some of the same classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

JC 2K3 wrote: »

It depends on what course you intend to study.

It's actually a third of your classes.

But that's just me being pedantic.

I'm glad to see such an interest in CS/CSLL.

The CS component is actually 50% of the course.

Perhaps it is, but they're only in 1/3 of the pure CS course's classes(ie. they do Programming and Maths classes whereas CS students do Programming, Maths, Computing(hardware/assembly code), Digital Logic, Electrotechnology/Telecommunications and Computers & Society). I think CSLL students have an extra seminar on other aspects of computing that CS students don't do, but I don't know anything about that.

• Advertisement

But to be pedantic, it is still technically 50% of the CSLL course, which is what you were referring to. : p

Now who doesn't love a bit of nitpicking on a wednesday afternoon.

*gets back to her leaving cert*

Advertisement