Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cao

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Out of interest, what programming language is used in TCD for first years? Over here in DCU, for Computer Apps and Financial and Actuarial Maths students, it's java which is quite handy but seldom used for actuaries!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

But to be pedantic, it is still technically 50% of the CSLL course, which is what you were referring to. : p
    I was referring to classes, not classes weighted by their worth in terms of your final grade.... CSLL students have more than 4 classes....

I actually made a mistake in that I was referring to the fraction of classes CS students shared with CSLL students rather than the fraction of classes CSLL students shared with CS students, but it's still not 50%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Xhristy wrote: »

Same as over here then!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

This is driving me up the wall

Usually im on top of these things but where the hell do we get our exam numbers? I can't fill in my form online without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

I did mine a few weeks ago and I didn't need an exam number. Are you sure you've registered? You get a number after you do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

not filled out yet, but putting Computer Applications in DCU 1st, and various other Computer science courses down as far a 6 just as a precaution in case the 300 places get filled in dcu =P roflol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

as someone studying psychology i can tell you the bio can be easily picked up if you apply yourself. i never studied science before and thats one of my better sections. you're wrong about the lack of jobs in clinical. my cousin works in a recruitment agency and says there is great demand. however there are many other fields to consider, i myself want to try art therapy.
    also its a even longer road to clinical as you have to do at least one MA and THEN a few years of work experience or vounlteer work before you get to apply for your clinical MA. also the certs you get in ireland allow you to work in the uk and if you go down the ABA route you're qualified to work ANYWHERE in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

regob wrote: »
    prove to me that it is the best

Well your obviously not there for a start, oh and highest ranked University on the island of Ireland means something too.

• Advertisement

dan719 wrote: »
    Well your obviously not there for a start, oh and highest ranked University on the island of Ireland means something too.

Say it now and say it loud:

College rankings are meaningless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Trinity is the best college, nothing poncy about wanting to go there.

It is apparently the best for some of the arts subjects but is in fact the worst for subjects such as medicine. Would be interested to hear what you base your assumption on.

Myth wrote: »
    Say it now and say it loud:

Agreed :) There's so many factors, you can't just turn around and say one college is the best fullstop.

It continues to astound me how some people online will make a serious and sometimes venomous discussion out of a simple, light-hearted comment.

Look I wasn't being venomous as you put it. I used to go to Trinity and was very unhappy with it and don't understand why people call it the best and I would like to know why you think this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

i got brilliant leaving cert grades, so dont talk a pile of ****e, and i pity you for thinking your better than somebody because you go to trinity, its absolutely pathetic that people in this country or choosing to go to tcd because they think its posh and they think there better than people that dont go there,

so anymore dan 719, think about your comment before you post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Anywho...

here are my choices :

1. DN020 Actuarial and Financial Studies - ucd
    2. DN026 Economics and Finance - ucd
    3. DC127 Actuarial, Financial and Mathematical Sciences (Common Entry) - dcu
    4. DC236 Quantitative Finance -dcu
    5. MH401 Finance - maynooth
    6. MH203 Computer Science and Software Engineering - maynooth

dont really know whats better though.. acturial studies or economics and finances :( brrr! its just driving me crazy :D

btw about the exam number, ems.. they only give u a cao number.. is that the actual EXAM number we are supposed to use now??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Yuugib wrote: »
    btw about the exam number, ems.. they only give u a cao number.. is that the actual EXAM number we are supposed to use now??

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't think so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

Yuugib wrote: »
    Anywho...

here are my choices :

1. DN020 Actuarial and Financial Studies - ucd
    2. DN026 Economics and Finance - ucd
    3. DC127 Actuarial, Financial and Mathematical Sciences (Common Entry) - dcu
    4. DC236 Quantitative Finance -dcu
    5. MH401 Finance - maynooth
    6. MH203 Computer Science and Software Engineering - maynooth

dont really know whats better though.. acturial studies or economics and finances :( brrr! its just driving me crazy :D

Nice choices! I have friends in both Ec&Fi and Actuary in UCD and they love it! I'm in several of their lectures (particularly Ec&Fi) so if you need any more help just PM me! :)

Hey Yuugib, no your CAO number isn't your exam number! It's all so confusing isn't it :) I'm leaving mine til the last minute cos I'm waiting to hear about a possible though very unlikely offer in England.

I have heard that Trinity is good for the arts subjects and I have a friend studying English there who loves it. However the medicine course was so bad that the Irish medical board was considering revoking Trinity's status as a medical college. I've heard this from someone who was a final year med student last year and someone whose parents are lecturers there. I'm not saying that Trinity is bad for the sake of it. I'm looking at the evidence and forming my opinion from that.

• Advertisement

Look I wasn't being venomous as you put it. I used to go to Trinity and was very unhappy with it and don't understand why people call it the best and I would like to know why you think this.
    lol, you weren't being venomous, I was referring more to regob.

I don't think Trinity is better than anywhere else, the comment was in jest. I do think it's a very good university, however. From my (8 weeks of) experience, the lecturers are nice and generally good, the societies are brilliant, the campus is beautiful and in general I find little to complain about.

I'm in Computer Science by the way. Perhaps it's just the medicine faculty that's bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

regob wrote: »
    i got brilliant leaving cert grades, so dont talk a pile of ****e, and i pity you for thinking your better than somebody because you go to trinity, its absolutely pathetic that people in this country or choosing to go to tcd because they think its posh and they think there better than people that dont go there,

so anymore dan 719, think about your comment before you post it.

Wow brilliant leaving cert grades- think your the only one? I thought you wanted to be a chicken farmer. And who ever said I thought I was better than you- I merely stated I was glad you don't go to Trinity.

Statement of fact no. 1

Trinity is the highest ranked university in Ireland.(According to The Times)

Statement of fact no. 2

The following sentence makes no sense 'absolutely pathetic that people in this country or choosing to go to tcd because they think its posh and they think there better than '

Now next time, reread your comment before you post it. :D

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Xhristy wrote: »

You seem to prefer CS and CSLL is missing quite a large chunk of CS in favour of the LL :p So look into it! :)

*edit* just saw your second post now :/

Maybe i'll see you in CS next year :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

Wow brilliant leaving cert grades- think your the only one? I thought you wanted to be a chicken farmer. And who ever said I thought I was better than you- I merely stated I was glad you don't go to Trinity.

Statement of fact no. 1

Trinity is the highest ranked university in Ireland.(According to The Times)

Statement of fact no. 2

The following sentence makes no sense 'absolutely pathetic that people in this country or choosing to go to tcd because they think its posh and they think there better than '

Now next time, reread your comment before you post it. :D

first off all you can still be a farmer with brilliant leaving cert grades, and by the way it was pig not chicken.

the reasons i said the comment that i got brilliant leaving cert grades is because you said trinity was great because i wasnt there. and dont be so cocky because you got good lc grades, seriously.

and your statment of fact number 2 clarifys to me that you are pathetic and its people like you that gives trinity the name of been a host for snobs and toss pots

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Atm, my choices are

1. TR033 - CS in Trinity
    2. TR071 - Physics w/ either Astrophysics or Comp. simulation
    3. CK401 - CS in UCC
    4. CK408 - Physics and Astrophysics in UCC
    5. TR483 - Spanish & Hist. of Art and Architecture in Trinity
    6. CK603 - Energy Engineering in UCC
    7. DC121 - Computer Apps in DCU
    8. MH102 - Music Tech in Maynooth
    9. DT228 - Computer Science in DIT
    10. DT203 - Forensic and Environmental Analysis in DIT

but this is by no means definitive, and changes on a weekly basis...

Just as a matter of interest, are (m)any people here applying to the uk colleges through ucas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Technically it's people like you, regob who give Trinity that name, as you believe that people in Trinity are that way.

Trinity is the University that sticks out from the rest in Ireland for many reasons, not just the fact it's the highest ranking.

The NUI's have taken a more continental approach to teaching rather than Trinity's method which is taken from that of Oxford and Cambridge. They have smaller classes, that of 30-100, where as in UCD / DCU there could be 200/300. This is why the points are so high in Trinity, because there are limited places as they believe in small class sizes.

Also, the thought of people in Trinity all being posh and snobby is pretty ridiculous, a snobby person will be a snobby person whether they go to UCD, DCU, WIT or Fás. It doesn't matter.

I don't think the small class sizes thing is necessarily true, there're 175 places in Engineering, 290 places in Science, PSychology has over 200 places and many arts courses have 100-300 places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    I don't think the small class sizes thing is necessarily true, there're 175 places in Engineering, 290 places in Science, PSychology has over 200 places and many arts courses have 100-300 places.

Don't all those classes usually have about that amount because they're so popular?

It's more to do with the facilities/people being there to allow that level of students.

Most arts courses aren't that large in TCD JC 2K3, the biggest one I can really think of is BESS. Most of the SH and TSM ones are small enough with around 30 students per class, AFAIK. Plus even in Engineering we were broken in two or three for tutorials. Used to be smaller but they cut back on tutors a few years back.

(include additional acronyms in any replies BTW)

• Advertisement

It's more to do with the facilities/people being there to allow that level of students.
    QFT, TBH.
    Most arts courses aren't that large in TCD JC 2K3, the biggest one I can really think of is BESS. Most of the SH and TSM ones are small enough with around 30 students per class, AFAIK.
    IMHO, IDK much about arts courses TBH, but I browsed through the prospectus and IIRC there seemed to be over 100 places (inc. TSM) in a lot of arts subjects.

In any case, AFAIK, I don't think they necessarily keep classes small in accordance with the OxBridge model, do they?
    (include additional acronyms in any replies BTW)
    KK OMGUSAWTFBBQ!!11

Advertisement