Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Out of the Comfort Zone ?

• 15-12-2007 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭

just read a piece on the sky sports website this morning with cesc fabregas talking about the lack english/premiership players not plying their trade abroad
    "I don't see a lot of English players taking the risk to go out of the country to try to fight for their chance," Fabregas told the Times.

"It looks like they are comfortable where they are and that is it.

"For me, I had to leave my country to fight for my life and my chance and my dream. Sometimes that is what you have to do, but I don't see a lot of English players going to Spain or Italy.

"Sometimes you have to take a step back to go one forward and sometimes they are just comfortable with what they have."

Asked if English players would be welcomed in Spain or Italy, Fabregas said: "Definitely, why not?

"There are amazing players and amazing talent in England. If they had the chance to go to another country and they could do it; there would be more English players who are great."

i've always wondered why it is that so very few of the english, or scottish or even irish players who struggle to get opportunities to advance themselves within the uk dont try their hand at moving abroad?

is it a lack of talent?
    no motivation?
    bad educational system, ie not enough italian, spanish, german etc tought in uk & irish schools?
    another reason?

there could be more players out and about in europe than i'm aware of, but theres none that i can think of off hand. even when one of the british players moves abroad its kinda treated as a bit of a novelty by the british press. i doubt its like that for the various players around europe playing outside their home countries.

i suppose the question applies to managers too, why the lack of british and irish managers plying their trade across europe? surely if coleman can do it, many more could.

interested to see some ideas, i'm pretty stumpted on this one tbh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Lack of talent mainly i would think.English clubs can and have found unknown mainland Euro gems but i doubt that could be said of English players.Education too is a factor as some of the quality English players seem to have problems speaking English never mind another language.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The list of British players who have plied thier trade on the Continent is longer than you might think, but these days why would you bother? The money bigger than anywhere else and you have what you know all round you. If playing against silky foreign skills is what you want then the Prem the place to be!

The weather might be a temptation and the Xmas/New Year break but you may also fall off the national managers radar if not careful.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

mike65 wrote: »
    The list of British players who have plied thier trade on the Continent is longer than you might think, but these days why would you bother? The money bigger than anywhere else and you have what you know all round you. If playing against silky foreign skills is what you want then the Prem the place to be!

The weather might be a temptation and the Xmas/New Year break but you may also fall off the national managers radar if not careful.

Mike.

i take that point about the money, but what i'm talking about is, say your a young player with talent but your at a premiership club and opportunities are bcoming more and more hard to come by because for clubs now it seems like a more low risk option to bring in a well travelled foreigner as a utility player or to fill a gap for a season or 2 than it is for you to put one of your young players in a blood them.

so my question i guess is why not look for an opportunity to play for a dutch club or a low end german club, broaden your talents, perhaps improve in aspects of the game that are sought after in the premiership.

who knows you could establish yourself and end up being bought by a higher quality premiership team or a bigger team around europe. god knows there would be a chance to stand out being a british player playing in a foreign league given that theres so few.

is there simply no interest from foreign clubs, do they presume none of these guys speak the lingo or have an interest in learning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Vinny Samways did well if I remember correctly and he didn't have any talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

mike65 wrote: »
    The money (is) bigger than anywhere else.
    That is exactly the reason why English players will not go abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

You can earn more money playing in the 2nd and 3rd english divisions than you can in the lower reaches of top divisions in Holland, Germany and France.

Plus, these teams would much rather work on their youth systems than give journeymen pro's from the UK a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Cesc seems to have quiet a mouth on him for such a young bloke, I'd wonder how popular he is with his fellow professionals.

I doubt Henry is too fond of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

dubmick wrote: »
    Cesc seems to have quiet a mouth on him for such a young bloke, I'd wonder how popular he is with his fellow professionals.

He was on La Liga few weeks ago, very intelligent lad came across very well talking about the match and football in general.

OT Willo flood left Man city for cardiff and got 8k a week from them, most of the players who dont make it in the PL or are replaced by foreign players can get a decent wage in the championship. Abroad they wouldnt cut it technically but in some cases the likes of Bayern AC Real pay a lot more to the top players than the PL clubs would.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Abroad they wouldnt cut it technically but in some cases the likes of Bayern AC Real pay a lot more to the top players than the PL clubs would.

kdjac
    Yes but only the very top players at the very top clubs.
    Im sure if you compared the wages at the likes of Birmingham or a similar english to the likes of Marseille you would find that the english team pays a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

dubmick wrote: »

What's this got to do with Henry?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

My impression is that clubs from other parts of Europe do not send scouts over to Britain or Ireland, thus players will not be signed at a young age by them.

Anyone remember Jay Bothroyd playing for Perugia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Dominic Foley is at Gent in Belguim.

Advertisement