Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ripped off at bar

Options
  • 15-12-2007 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

heres what happened my bro in a nite club in temple bar last night .himself and a few friends were out looking at a band that his friend play with .one of the girls in the group went to the bar and handed in a fifty for a drink she was given change of twenty and she was told that all she gave the barman was the twenty .she kicked up a fuss and was told to give her name to the manager and they would contact her .she told the rest to be careful when they went to the bar
    a while later my bro went to the same barman handed in a twenty he got change of a ten he tried to tell this guy and called the manager who done the same as before ,plus at this stage the bouncers were crowding him .so not wanting to get man handled out of the place they left .is this a new scam thats going on ? has anyone else has this pulled on them? .once in a night you could say a genuine mistake but twice and from the same barman .btw they are not letting this go and are going to contact the club today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Friend of mine got done like that - had nothing but 50's from the cash machine and got change of a 20 from the barman. Management said that they would count the change at the end of the night & review CCTV fotage and that he had to call them at 2pm next day. When he did they just said that he was on camera handing over a 20!

Scam!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Vote with your feet - don't go there again and tell your friends what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Go in again and this time have someone record it discreetly... then take them to the cleaners.
    10-10-20 i assume this person had the sense to demand to see the tape in the presence of a garda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Friend of mine got done like that - had nothing but 50's from the cash machine and got change of a 20 from the barman. Management said that they would count the change at the end of the night & review CCTV fotage and that he had to call them at 2pm next day. When he did they just said that he was on camera handing over a 20!

Scam!

Almost the exact same thing happened to me 3 years ago in Temple Bar

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If this is happening to two people here, its happening to hundreds. The guy/guys are scamming a fortune. Really really dont let this drop op. If they cite cctv footage, ask to see it.

I got caught like this at a local hotel once. I got annoyed and stood my ground till the barman gave me back the correct change. It could have been an honest mistake in my case. Ill never know. But he did initially try to fob me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

At the end of the day, they can check the till at any time... they can print a total reciept of takings and check it there and then... If they refuse get the managers details and ask for his trading license number... then tell him you will be back later with the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Name and shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭GBX

name and shame!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

KtK wrote: »
    If this is happening to two people here, its happening to hundreds. The guy/guys are scamming a fortune. Really really dont let this drop op. If they cite cctv footage, ask to see it.
    You have a legal entitlement to see CCTV footage involving yourself. Check out www.dataprivacy.ie for more details.

I like the idea of a sting operation - record the note serial numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭hotshots85

GBX wrote: »
    name and shame!!!

on the name and shame
    the center of a wheel is called
    ???
    on a car you might have four --- caps
    on the phone call that the mananger was supposed to give yesterday you can guess that never happened . my bro is 19 and he is thinking of just forgetting the whole thing but im not letting it go im going to push it and if needs be will call into the place myself .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Im going this direction Tuesday night, so it would be nice if you clarified the name of the business and ill make sure they dont get our custom.

the place in temple bar is THE HUB it is usually frequented by students and such to listen to bands and in the past has lost its late licence .looks to me to be a very badly run hole and by the latest stuff thats going on there i,d give it a very wide berth .STAY AWAY

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I aint been in there. It just adds to my list of places I dont go to now. Thanks HotShot

the way i see it is . you go out for a few beers with your mates your already paying rip off prices [4.90 euro]for a bottle of beer all you want is to have a good time no messing etc and then something like this happens ,my brother got really rilled up about it at the time because he knew he was in the right .[students know exactly how much they have in their pockets] as he said himself if he had of kept on about it the bouncers would have got him arrested on some pretence and it would end up with him in court .this thread is,nt just a troll to get back at a night club and none of the stuff posted is hearsay .looks like its becoming ireland of the double rip off ,if they cant get you one way.:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Name and shame!
    Yep agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

dre - see the previous posts - it has already been named and shamed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

dre - see the previous posts - it has already been named and shamed
    Oh, I missed it.Thanks for pointing it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 OracleOfTruth

s he said himself if he had of kept on about it the bouncers would have got him arrested on some pretence and it would end up with him in court .this thread is
    This gets to me. Too many people have this defeatist attitude when it comes to getting justice. You would be surprised how easy it can be to proper justice through the small claims court as the judges are usually much more open to the cause of the consumer.

Heres what I would do.

Get bank records of you withdrawing €50 at the start of the night. Get witness testaments from friends of you handing over the €50 and then put it all together for a €9 small claims court application.

More than likely the bar will just give you your money back before it ever gets to court. Fight this sort of crap all the way at least as if you don't then there will be plenty more people who will be getting ripped off.

The Consumer Warrior (record 2-0-0 with 2 KOs)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Take your complaint to the Gardai. Gardai can object to the renewal of a publican's license, so if enough complaints were made regarding a venue something might actually happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Shame to hear about the Hub.. I played a gig there before and thought it was a nice spot! The adjoining Mezz is meant to be good too.. I'm pretty sure they're under the same managment so you'll be wanting to avoid there too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

On the CCTV, the bar should be able to show you the footage if you demand to see it. If they refuse, are they hiding something?

I was actually in a bar over the summer and paid for 2 pints. Got my change back but the pints were gone. Pointed it out to the barmaid, who refused to believe I hadn't taken them. Asked for the manager and explained the story. He took 2 minutes to check the CCTV and verify my story, and promptly poured 2 pints. Was a bit pissed off at the attitude taken, I was hardly hiding the pints in my pocket, but goes to show how easy it should be to check the CCTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Advertisement