Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

working part time and claiming benefit

• 15-12-2007 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I found out today that I'm going to be knocked down to a part-time position, starting in january, due to lack of work for all the employees. I'm going to be put on a 3 day week and was wondering how I go about claiming benefit - or where do I go to get some more advice?
    Thanks in advance,
    Tommy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Sign on for CASUAL Allowance/Benefit which means you will get paid for the days you do not work (except Sunday). Must be unemployed at least 3 days each week. Will have to submit signed dockets each week stating which days you worked. Need to be looking for other work on your days off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Do I go to the unemployment office to do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

yep down to the dole office with you and youll get your dockets they pay on a back week and its a check so youll have to cash that instead of it going straight into your account (pain in the arse) plus if your dole is 180euro and your working 3 days youll only get the 90

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Make sure you bring I D with you ( I think you need 2 of these), proof of address and a letter from your employer stating that they have decreased your days of employment. IF you dont have these your claim will be delayed.

You will get slips to fill in on a weekly basis, that need to be signed by your employer and sent back to the welfare office on a weekly basis.

Thanks for the replies, can I claim off my tax credits?! Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm crap at this sort of stuff!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

As far as I know it is just based on your prsi that has been paid in the last few years.

It wont affect your tax for this year 2007 as the decrease in hours will only be affective from 2008. You will probably pay less in tax though as your hours have been decreased...therefore your wage will be decreased.

Sorry to hear your bad news..... I hope it works out for you.

How is it based on prsi? - will it affect the amount I get or my eligibility for it?

It depends on how much you earned in 2006 and how many weeks you actually worked. If you earned over €150 weekly then you should get the full rate of Benefit (whatever the recent Budget raised it to). Also, you'll need to have at least 52 total contributions paid over the years AND at least 39 contributions paid in '06 - presuming you pay Class A contributions.

I've been employed in full time employment for the last 9 years, so I should qualify for this - what exactly is class a

covers employees under the age of 66 in industrial, commercial and
    service-type employment who have reckonable pay of €38 or more per week
    from all employments as well as Public Servants recruited from 6 April 1995.

• Advertisement

thanks for the replies everyone, you've been most helpful:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement