Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom made Axe - frets on fire

Options
  • 15-12-2007 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭

I decided the that keyboard just wasn't cutting it for frets of fire anymore, and to get the true guitar hero experience i'd need a guitar. I thought i'd pick one up fairly handy and cheap online. I was surprised that there wasn't more third part controllers. So i got it into my head , how hard would it be to make one!

So i went looking for toy guitars on ebay that would suit , i.e had buttons up along the neck and a strum button at the base. I eventually bought one , but when i got home i found my brother had a toy guitar that was perfect for it! It even had the right colour buttons it was just a matter of switching them around!

I bought a wireless controller in Lidl for €12 and took it apart, stripping off everything i didnt need eg rumble motors analogue sticks etc. Then i opened the guitar and ripped out its insides. Several hours of soldering later heres the finished product

EDIT: Sorry pic was MASSIVE! heres a link instead

It actually works perfectly! I'll take a few picture of the inside when i open it back up. I need to make a button for alternative strum. and i also need make a connect button for the wireless controller.

It wasn't all that hard to do , a decent project if you have some spare time on your hands!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Your house is messy. >_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

great stuff admire you craftyness, make a detailed howto

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Did you take a break for a Kit-Kat??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Yes my mams house is always fairly messy alright!! That would be one of the cleaner rooms
    I didn't even realise there was kit kats in the house... damn i missed out!

I will give detailed instructions of what i did, only thing is its hard enough to give a good one has whatever guitar you use will be different to mine, although it'll something similar.

Advertisement