Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The crapness of MTV

• 15-12-2007 4:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

Does anyone actually watch it?!? I mean once in a while (We're talking years) there might be 1 good show but its so awful! I remember the actual MUSIC days of 'Daily Chart Live' and 'Video Clash' but now its degraded into a channel of sh*t reality show reruns. I mean 'The Hill', 'Sweet 16', 'The Real World' who thinks they're good! I swear to jaysus Im blocking the channel once my MTV-dependant siblings aren't looking

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Nah, load of rubbish. I haven't watched it in years and they don't play a whole lot of music videos either, gone are those days. It should be renamed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Plenty of crap shows! Getting lots of criticism for dropping music from the playlist in spite of name - Bubble Hits has started to use the tagline "Music Television as it should be"...

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Only things I watch on it are South Park and Rob & Big

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

but it's even **** at showing southpark, i've seen the "jared's got aids" episode so much that it's lost all it's humour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

vh1 used to be a good alternative, but thats gone down the crass mtv road too:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

i realise i may be SLATED for this because it seems you either love it or hate it but i LOVE the hills :o*backs away slightly*

but only for the fashion and more importantly the music(ironic!) but yup MTV in general has gone to the dogs!!

what about that new programme,its like a girl version of jackass...one episode they went around asking people could they fart in their faces hahahahahahahahahahhahahaha (oh wait, thats not remotely amusing in any way...):rolleyes:twas my won fault for watching it though *hangs head*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

So... basically what you are saying is that we can blame you for MTV sucking? Seems very brave of you to come forward and say that in such a public manner but all I can say is...

Let the public flogging commence!

hahah i suppose you can!ah its a great show but aimed at a very specific target audience.and yup has NOTHING to do with music* so really shouldnt be on Mtv.....but iots great!!

would you lads not even watch it for the hot gals??

*it seriously has excellent music on it thought.....sorry!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Pimp My Ride is about the only thing worth watching on MTV

keefg wrote: »
    Pimp My Ride is about the only thing worth watching on MTV

oh come on

that gotta be worse than the hills...no hot people....no sun,sand and high rise buildings!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

As much as I agree that MTV has gone down the ****ter, i'm not complaining as it brought Rob & Big in to my life, fantastic program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

only have FTA channels now and feel so much better off
    bliss, scuzz, flaunt , bubblehits , the vault, chartshow, etc

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I notice on Sky too there is another MTV channel called MTV® in the Entertainment section which seems to also show reality programmes.

Bring back MTV Europe, with Ray Cokes etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Indeed, MTV is slimeball TV. Its pure trash in a channel.

Want to know how I deal with my hatred, I dont watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Ruu wrote: »
    Nah, load of rubbish. I haven't watched it in years and they don't play a whole lot of music videos either, gone are those days. It should be renamed.

I thought they split the channel up and made a few different MTVs for music? Hits, 2, Dance for music and thennormal MTV for all the reality ****e. And there's a new MTV R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

I despise 'Sweet Sixteen'

5 things you'll hear in nearly every episode:

1.I get everything I want
    2.I'm Daddy's little Princess
    3.(Some Party Guy) This is the party of the year!
    4.(The birthday girl) These guys are not on the list!
    5.This is my moment

HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭j0e

LMAO so true, my friend made me watch the show once and all i can say is "Who in gods name watches this?" I mean come on its like the fcuking worst trash ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

iFight wrote: »
    And there's a new MTV R

From what I can tell from the ads, it stands for MTV Repeats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

have they only one channel of repeats? i dont have it anymore, but even every time i used to turn on mtv 2 it seems to have muse live from somewhere on it!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Its MTV Rated but it just seems to be along the same lines as the crap on MTV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

blow69 wrote: »

5.This is my moment

Then make sure you don't miss the episode from Drogheda (or is it Dundalk?) on Wednesday! :D

It's sure to be horrific

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

yea, its gone preety bad in the last 5 or so years.
    i remember it when i was about 6 and they showed 'The Prodigy's Firestarter
    It's the earliest childhood memory i can remember clearly
    sat there dazed at the beat and loops of the song
    now ? well, last time watched they were still showing 'newlyweds' a full 2 years after they broke up:confused:
    we will never see the same MTV again that practicully changed TV of the 90's

R.I.P MTV

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yeah it really is complete shít!

The only really good non music show was screenplay with yer man with the greasy hair. But the formats changed now and it's shíte.

Bring back Cat Deely and Donna Air, let's not forget Richie Blackwood. :D

And let's not forget the almighty Emma Griffiths:D

EmmaGriffiths.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Ballerina wrote: »
    hahah i suppose you can!ah its a great show but aimed at a very specific target audience.and yup has NOTHING to do with music* so really shouldnt be on Mtv.....but iots great!!

would you lads not even watch it for the hot gals??

*it seriously has excellent music on it thought.....sorry!!!

I seen that show i thought it was stupid one i seen there were been driven around in a van and had to pee into a bucket the one with the most pee was the winner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

gucci wrote: »
    have they only one channel of repeats? i dont have it anymore, but even every time i used to turn on mtv 2 it seems to have muse live from somewhere on it!!

They do? When is it on? Wouldn't mind seeing it myself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

MTV is a disgrace, its not even MTV anymore, its just garbage. I fondly remember the days back when we had 16 channel Astra satellite tv, MTV was amazing with all the VJ's and quirky ads inbetween programmes. There was great variety on MTV like 120 minutes, Party Zone, Headbangers Ball, Post Modern, MTV At The Movies, Ray Cokes Most Wanted (my favourite tv show back then), The Coca Cola Eurochart top 20 and many other great programmes. MTV is now just 8 garbage channels barely indistinguishable from each other with about 20 music videos on rotation between the lot, 8 channels for maximum advertising and revenue. The viewers interests and quality of programming is about the last thing on their minds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Bring back Cat Deely and Donna Air, let's not forget Richie Blackwood. :D
    aaahhh i had forgot about him, the bloody black version of patrick kielty, not funny in the slightest!

Donna Air was an idiot, Richard Blackmore was an idiot, Cat Deely was ok I guess. The worst presenter they ever had was yer one in 2 Pints Of Lager And A Packet Of Crisps.

plazzTT wrote: »
    Then make sure you don't miss the episode from Drogheda (or is it Dundalk?) on Wednesday! :D

It's sure to be horrific

Was on tonight I thought?

I have even set Sky+ to record it so I can see the cringeness of it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I liked when Alex Zane did a voiceover on MADE

"this girl is obviously a serial killer"
    "God he's ugly"

they can't even do south park right, they seem to have only bought the rights to about 6 episodes :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

anybody remember Marienne Van Der Vluckt (sp) ? She did the midnight show during the earlier ninties. My first love. Sigh.......

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

MTV is 100% ***te !!!

The last time it was any good was about 15 years ago when you would still find yourself up late at night watching Headbangers Ball or some such !

Now you just have shows like 'Hogan Knows Best' THE worst 'Scripted' "Reality" show that has ever been made and 'My Super Sweet 16' which I think is what Al Qaeda show to recruit new members !! More than once I have contemplated strapping on some explosives and heading off to one of these parties !!

Anyway, Having said all that I do watch 'Strutter' which is really the only show worth watching in the Stations whole repertoire of programming !!

;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

5.This is my moment

ssshhh don't ruin it for everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

I've just seen an ad for My Super Sweet Sixteen with some boy constantly asking his mother "Whats my present?" or something like that. I'd probably go insane if a watched a full episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Gonzo wrote: »
    MTV is a disgrace, its not even MTV anymore, its just garbage. I fondly remember the days back when we had 16 channel Astra satellite tv, MTV was amazing with all the VJ's and quirky ads inbetween programmes. There was great variety on MTV like 120 minutes, Party Zone, Headbangers Ball, Post Modern, MTV At The Movies, Ray Cokes Most Wanted (my favourite tv show back then), The Coca Cola Eurochart top 20 and many other great programmes. MTV is now just 8 garbage channels barely indistinguishable from each other with about 20 music videos on rotation between the lot, 8 channels for maximum advertising and revenue. The viewers interests and quality of programming is about the last thing on their minds.
    +1 Once MTV Europe was split up it went from being essential to somewhere in the middle of the worse bunch of channels on tv overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I think the worst show on MTV right now though is 'rad girls'

while all the reality shows are stupid, brainless drivel, this is just disgusting.

Jackass was about hurting yourself for comedy using props and seemed like a laugh

Rad girls is just stomach-churning and playing on the "girls can be gross this is so cool cos we are girls" thing

Watch the MTV spin off channels for music.

iFight wrote: »
    I thought they split the channel up and made a few different MTVs for music? Hits, 2, Dance for music and thennormal MTV for all the reality ****e. And there's a new MTV R
    Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Watch the MTV spin off channels for music.
    No use for those on NTL analogue, no music whatsoever despite having a "music" channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

DaBreno wrote: »
    anybody remember Marienne Van Der Vluckt (sp) ? She did the midnight show during the earlier ninties. My first love. Sigh.......
    Marijne van der Vlugt :)
    ... yeah I remember her too. She's in her 40s now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

byte wrote: »
    I notice on Sky too there is another MTV channel called MTV® in the Entertainment section which seems to also show reality programmes.

Bring back MTV Europe, with Ray Cokes etc.

MTV died for me when the fired Ray Cokes :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Mr E wrote: »
    Marijne van der Vlugt :)
    ... yeah I remember her too. She's in her 40s now.

Thats the Lass! Nice to remember her again, she was quite good looking back then.

In her 40's now...Ahhhh, where does the time go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Not watched it in years. Used to be my most watched channel about 6 or 7 years ago.

They obviously must get a demand for these shows, but I remember most people back in the day used to watch it, now no-one does :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I HATE it. Apart from South Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Remember the Grind? That was funny to watch, full of posers who couldn't dance. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

5.This is my moment

6. I deserve everything I have
    7. My party cost more than my parents' wedding but I deserved it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    The worst presenter they ever had was yer one in 2 Pints Of Lager And A Packet Of Crisps.

Natalie Casey. She wasn't that bad!

She wrecked my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭ScruffySlayer

they deliberately don't play music on MTV One now because they want to use the different channels for music and MTV One for all their "lifestlye" programs and stuff.
    Most of it is absolutle ****e but I love MTV when I'm in college.
    i'm not a fan of pimp my ride and all those stunt shows but love the reality stuff.
    I am completely addicted to the hills. It is perfect for what it is.

Advertisement