Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability benefit

• 15-12-2007 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Would a persons disability benefit be affected if they accepted rent from their child (living in the same house) and the child was claiming rent relief. I know that a person can receive rent from a tenant within their house up to a limit of 7500 or so but does this affect their own benefits

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The rent a room scheme limit is now 10k per annum that you don't pay tax on.
    I don't think a child can claim rent relief from living in the family home.
    I'm pretty sure that was stopped a year or two ago as I've read similar question to this on boards.
    Sure everyone in the country would be claiming their child was a tenant otherwise

If you'll be getting income from your child then this will go towards any means test. Income is the still income no matter what the source.

I'm no expert though so my post will be probably be corrected slightly be someone else :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

It won't affect your Illness (Disability) Benefit because it's not means tested.

Advertisement