Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing router password

Options
  • 15-12-2007 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

How does onwe chane a password on a wireless router? Is that the wep key the password. I have read that the default password is known. I was given a wep key by ISP who said it locked router to computer. Is thos the opne that is known. Or is it the 8 numbers after the ISP names that is known, the SSID?
    When my router was replace the SSID on the new one was different, What is this 'default known' and wher to change it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Hmmm.
    Or is it the 8 numbers after the ISP names that is known, the SSID?
    Eircom user? In that case: It's the admin password to the router and possibly the WEP key as well. The key generated by Eircom's software can be easily calculated now (google!).
    Otherwise, what people generally mean is the default user/password to access and administrate the router. Read the manual for the router for instructions on accessing this section, and how to change the admin password (And change the WPA key while you're at it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

Karoma wrote: »
    Hmmm.

Eircom user? In that case: It's the admin password to the router and possibly the WEP key as well. The key generated by Eircom's software can be easily calculated now (google!).
    Otherwise, what people generally mean is the default user/password to access and administrate the router. Read the manual for the router for instructions on accessing this section, and how to change the admin password (And change the WPA key while you're at it)

Yes eircom. Is the admin password to router the 8 number name? The key generated by eircom software can be calculated but what about a password generated by www.grc.com?

Advertisement