Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horror Films - the best

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I'm a big fan of The Thing, Alien and Aliens.

I heard they are remaking The Thing recently, Jesus Wept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭N1njapirate

HavoK wrote: »
    Everyone will probably crucify me for this but I think both the Grudge and The Ring, as well as their not as good but still watchable sequels are quite creepy. Pulse was another OK one. All remakes of Asian films, and although people will tell you that they're far inferior, I watched the originals and found them pathetic (in terms of scares, that is). I'm not saying that all Asian horror is pathetic, mind, there are some great ones. But in the case of the Ring and The Grudge I really don't understand how anyone could maintain that the originals are actually scarier. Pan's Labyrinth was a good one, not necessarily scary but some very creepy moments in there. Amityville Horror was quite good, again, the remake being infinitely more atmospheric and scary then the original. I'm sure you've already seen the Exorcist but that one, and the crab walk bit, will never get old. Not sure what exactly you mean by horror either, are you looking for a skin crawler, or merely anything that falls into the genre like zombie movies, slashers etc? I can think of absolutely bucket loads of the latter but no point if that's not what you're looking for. You've got Hellraiser, Hills have Eyes, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead I-V, Toxic Avenger, Final Destination trilogy, Hostel, Beyond the Limits, House of Wax, etc...you could go on forever, and that's just the newer common stuff. But none of them are really scary. Definitely another vote for The Thing too by the way, that one is brilliant. Also, while it's not a movie, check out Season 1 and 2 of Masters of Horror. Some dubious quality episodes, some plain stupid ones, but a lot of quality horror in there too.
    ouch..Seriously Hostel? Your opinion is the opposite of mine.The Thing,The Shining,The Exorcist (The only movie series to effect me..??)
    I thought the American versions of the Ring and the Grudge were a waste of space. I enjoyed the originals though! ALien and Aliens are fantastic movies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

kryptyk500 wrote: »
    More I'd recommend:

Martin - a (very) low-budget vampire flick by George Romero which is not 'full-on' horror, but fairly disturbing.
    +1 Brilliant movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭kryptyk500

Another film that impressed me recently was 'Zombie Honeymoon'. Ignore the cheesy title. It's about a couple that go on honeymoon and the husband gets infected by a zombie... then his wife has to deal with it. Even though it has a tiny budget, it's well acted and has a better story than most straight to dvd zombie movies.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0399934/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Even if they are better id rather not have to read the whole script if i can watch it in english. That said I watched infernal affairs and then watches that one with leo de craprio and mat deamon and thought the jap one was better.

!!!! Youd rather not have to read the whole script even if they are better ? Crazy.

Also, Infernal Affairs is not Japanese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Jonesy3110 wrote: »
    I seen a movie recently called ""The girl next door".Has anyone else seen it? The first film in ages that had me screaming at the tv "GET OUT GET OUT!!!" Very unnerving and tense at points :P I think its adapted from a Jack Ketchum book.
    I saw Hatchet and was disappointed :( I thought with LEGENDS Kane Hodder and Robert Englund it might be cool but I thought it was lame :(

I saw "House on Haunted Hill" on tv the other night. I think its a reamake of a movie with Vincent Price. Am I the only person who thought this movie was good? I always get sppoked by that tv-static people walking around thing, like the Ring remake.

That and electrical appliances being plugged out but still working. THE HORROR!!!

On the topic of tv static and plugged out appliances still working, White Noise is a scary show.

The sequel, White Noise - The Light, is pretty dull fare, so don't bother.

I thought House on Haunted Hill was watchable enough, with Geoffrey Rush camping it up and Famke Janssen swanning around. Not classic horror perhaps, but entertaining I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

ouch..Seriously Hostel? Your opinion is the opposite of mine.The Thing,The Shining,The Exorcist (The only movie series to effect me..??)

The only movie ever to effect me was Tremors. You know those cadburys roses sweets with the orange in the middle? I can't eat those anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭hotspur

For genuine horror fans I want to recommend what I consider to be the best horror ever made, and many of you probably haven't heard of it. It's called Night of the Demon (1957). If you prefer gore horror then this isn't for you, but if you like intelligent understated horror then you will be very grateful to me if you get this film.

Here's the IMDB entry for it:
    www.imdb.com/title/tt0050766/

You can pick it up only as an American region 1 DVD at the moment, if you do then watch the UK version on it called Night of the Demon not the shorter cut US Curse of the Demon. Here's the amazon link, at least you can read what people think of it:
    http://www.amazon.com/Curse-Demon-Night-Dana-Andrews/dp/B0000694WH

Oh and I know of a working stream for it, but I cannot tell you in the open forum ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Seen it a couple of years ago.Its not too bad but as for being the best horror ever made.....:confused:

Opinions differ of course and I would consider myself a genuine horror fan,(Ive been watching em for over 20 years)but there seemed to be a bit of a snooty undertone to your above post

Quote - If you prefer gore horror then this isn't for you, but if you like intelligent understated horror then you will be very grateful to me if you get this film - Quote

I love and prefer the blood and guts horror personally but I also appreciate and enjoy the more understated eg Psycho,Peeping Tom,Nosferatu etc

To imply that loving one side of horror means you cant love another is a bit offensive to me TBH and makes you come across as a snob.

Its the same as saying if you love heavy metal you couldnt love Jeff Buckley or if you read Stephen King you wouldnt be able to enjoy Tolstoy for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

nedtheshed wrote: »

Some other decent horrors IMO include

Society
    Bone Sickness
    Intruder
    Black Christmas(original)
    Last House on Dead End Street
    House on the Edge of the Park

Are you ****ing crazy Nedtheshed? BONE SICKNESS????? You actually rate that pile of crap, that is an abomination to filmmaking and decency? It is so badly made, acted and edited, that I laughed. Its utter ****e and an insult to the horror genre. Swamp Zombies was a similar sin against film. Have you seen that one? In fact there are many more similar examples. They look like films made by fans who don't know how to make films. They create a bad name for the genre.

SOCIETY was a good film. Yuzna is at least competent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't anyone would argue those points on Bone Sickness. What made it great was the retro, gross-out effects.

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Are you ****ing crazy Nedtheshed? BONE SICKNESS????? You actually rate that pile of crap, that is an abomination to filmmaking and decency? It is so badly made, acted and edited, that I laughed. Its utter ****e and an insult to the horror genre. Swamp Zombies was a similar sin against film. Have you seen that one? In fact there are many more similar examples. They look like films made by fans who don't know how to make films. They create a bad name for the genre.

SOCIETY was a good film. Yuzna is at least competent.

Not crazy at all and I thoroughly enjoyed bone sickness.As terrorfirmer(quality movie too BTW) said its the gore that make this movie.At least Brian Paulin tried to come up with an original idea for a zombie movie rather than just re-hashing the nuclear waste premise.

The effects are what make this movie for me,un-ashamedly OTT and done with an obvious affection for the genre and not a CGI zombie in sight.

Paulin is a huge horror movie fan and is just a nice guy.He posts on another forum I use and always answers questions when he can and keeps the other fans up to speed with his current project,Fetus.

http://www.morbidvisionfilms.com/Fetus/fetus.htm

His company,Morbidvision films www.morbidvisionfilms.com along with Toetag pictures-- WWW.TOETAGPICTURES.COM ---For The Better Of Mankind Productions and Andrey Iskanov-- www.andreyiskanov.com --are pushing the limits of the horror movie to breaking point and I for one say bring it on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

But Brian Paulin doesn't know how to make films. He's a downright bad filmmaker, lacking in the basic skills. His poor execution of shots actually destroys any impact the gore should have. He couldn't frighten a mouse.

Its not ment to frighten you,its gore for gores sake.Its what I want and love along with alot of the horror movie fans out there sick of the same tired rehashed ideas.
    When I watch a horror movie I dont worry about the shots or lighting,if you want that go and watch Saw or some such tripe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭N1njapirate

Jonesy3110 wrote: »
    The only movie ever to effect me was Tremors. You know those cadburys roses sweets with the orange in the middle? I can't eat those anymore.

Rofl, awww.. no loss, they were disgusting anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭navin.r.johnson

The essentials are listed already (Shining, Rosemarys Baby, Thing, Aliens, Exorcist). Blair Witch is definitely worth viewing. Also, The Abominable Dr. Phibes for the elaborate and ways in which his victims meet their demise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭mikep

Watched this again last night....

Still spooked me more than any gore fest has!!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭wezzopalooza

Anyone here seen The Exorcist 3- very underrated in my opinion. Great performance from the legend that is Brad Dourif (even in a strait jacket he's creepy as hell) and arguably one of the greatest jump moments of all time involving a long corridor. Anyone who's seen this knows exactly what I'm on about.......Oh, and my fav horror-comedy has gotta be Fright Night- pure class!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Watched [REC] the other night, that's definitely become one of my fave horror movies ever now. Well recommended if you don't mind watching a movie with subtitles.
    Damn near shat myself at one stage!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I AGREE WITH HAVOC on Asian remakes not nessicarally being worse than the orignals. With all things being equal I would say a remake would be better, You dont have to read the script on a remake.
    But some remakes really seemed the same as the orignal and I thought that was a bad thing, like the omen.

I watched Quarantine having never seen the spanish version and I loved that. I wonder if I watched the Spanish one now would I think the remake was crap, I dont think so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement