Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiat Punto....Would ya???

Options
  • 15-12-2007 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hey,
    im currently a 3rd year college student and will be looking to buy a car in march 08...
    Now im on a budget so was thinking of spending 3000 - 3500...

To me Fiat puntos on carzone look perfect for what i need, as i reckon ill only have it for about a year. And because theres so many for sale i really can get a decent 2002 model with low mileage within my budget.

And yes i know iknow its a fiat but really, no cars are made that poorly nowadays right!!!???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

nellocon wrote: »
    no cars are made that poorly nowadays right!!!???

LOL , dont bet on it lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Hey,
    im currently a 3rd year college student and will be looking to buy a car in march 08...

To me Fiat puntos on carzone look perfect for what i need, as i reckon ill only have it for about a year. And because theres so many for sale i really can get a decent 2002 model with low mileage within my budget.

And yes i know iknow its a fiat but really, no cars are made that poorly nowadays right!!!???

Yep your right.

Ive had a Punto since 01 and its still running perfectly and thats with two learner drivers knocking it to bits :). I really llove it too, really nippy around town, good to drive and it is gorgeous imo. Looks very cool with the sharp lines, much better looking than the new one imo.

This is the exact one I have.

http://www.autointell.com/News-1999/august-1999/FIAT_Punto.jpg

As you say cars dont cause trouble nowadays, you might as well go for something with a bit of character.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭2stageturbo

And yes i know iknow its a fiat but really, no cars are made that poorly nowadays right!!!???[/QUOTE]

Yup.
    Fiat are top class motors:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

your bound to get a load of people putting you off a fiat with the usuall excuses., truth is their a great little car and are simple to work on if anything breaks, reason theres still so many of them around today., the ones your talking about is a mk2, they do have some comon problems (like a lot of cars though), the electric power steering rack is one of them and it can be expencive if it breaks., the electrics have been known to give a few problems aswell,. if you do go for one try to get one with as many receipts to show how well its been looked after,. there was a few recalls on the MK2 if i remember correctly so some issuses might be covered by the dealers..,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

Mk 2 fiat punto's are prone to a few problems mainly electrical, immobilizer/ecu problems - not cheap or easy to fix - trade in prices on punto's are very low - unless your trading in off a fiat.

But in saying that they are nice to drive and can be picked up fairly cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭hopalong_ie

Once the head gasket and timming belt are done then you won't have any probs with a punto. Nice car, im a mechanic and i have one myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Hey,

To me Fiat puntos on carzone look perfect for what i need, as i reckon ill only have it for about a year.

If you can find one that will offer you a 6-month guarantee then maybe worth the risk if you only keep it for a year. I would suggest you check out Seat Ibiza, VW Polo as well, you want to get some return on your investment if you trade it in after or decide to sell it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You say there are loads on carzone. Is this because there are loads of Puntos on the road or because there are a load of people selling them?

What happens next year when you decide to sell it? It will be on carzone with loads of other Puntos. You might have difficulty selling it, or you might have to reduce your asking price a lot to sell it.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a Punto for that money if I planned to sell it a year later.

Look at other marques (i.e brands of car). I have seen a lot of recommendations here for the Ford Fiesta in response to 'what car' threads from people like you planning to buy their first car.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

For that money its worth more as a trade in than in a private sale... Im thinking about getting a cheap old diesel for under 3k, I can afford to pay it straight out. since i have to drive my own car in my new job the cost of petrol is about €60 or so every 4 days....

Punto's are cheap to buy, cheap to service and repair etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Just buy a Micra or Fiesta or something else.

Punto's have an appetite for head gaskets, and not only that, they are one of the most blandest cars to drive as well.

• Advertisement

Once the head gasket and timming belt are done then you won't have any probs with a punto. Nice car, im a mechanic and i have one myself.
    yeah me too, and ive had about 5 of them so far.,
    Barlow07 wrote: »
    If you can find one that will offer you a 6-month guarantee then maybe worth the risk if you only keep it for a year. I would suggest you check out Seat Ibiza, VW Polo as well, you want to get some return on your investment if you trade it in after or decide to sell it later.
    this is what gets me, people always compare them to polo's and ibiza's. where they get the thought that these are any more reliable ill never know. the seat for instance, changing the clutch cable (yes that a cable, not fluid) in that is like performing open heart surgery.,
    Max_Damage wrote: »
    Just buy a Micra or Fiesta or something else.

Punto's have an appetite for head gaskets, and not only that, they are one of the most blandest cars to drive as well.

the micra id agree with, cant beat the jap cars for build quality and reliability but a fiesta? err, no.,lol cant belive a punto was discribed as bland and a fiesta was reccomended.,:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Used to be a service manager in a fiat dealer and we used to pull brand new puntos off the transporter with headgaskets gone on them.
    Wouldnt advise anyone to buy one pure sh!t.
    Some people can be lucky.
    But most are very unlucky with fiats.
    Fix It Again Tomorrow and its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

how much would a head gasket cost ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

puntos are s*** FACT.

anyone who drives is a fool regardless of how far the heads located up there bottom.

i knew the usuall "ah fiats are cr*p" crowd would be around before long.,
    Used to be a service manager in a fiat dealer and we used to pull brand new puntos off the transporter with headgaskets gone on them.
    Wouldnt advise anyone to buy one pure sh!t.
    Some people can be lucky.
    But most are very unlucky with fiats.
    Fix It Again Tomorrow and its true.

that saounds VERY unlikely to me., ive never heard of it once., and as most head gasket problems with fiat engines are caused by wear on cooling system parts, the chances are even more unlikely on a car with a brand new cooling system.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Go for it!!! I posted here a while ago about a Punto I wanted to buy. The amount of people that told me not to, but at the end of the day it was the car I wanted and I bought it for €1100. I love it! So much nicer to look at than your Micra/Starlet/Clio (notice the amount of cars around these days with the vertical lights at the back!). For a small car it is spacious and the air con on it is great!!! Power steering is fab. I have driven this car through a 8ft metal gate, a wheelie bin full of paper and been rear ended and there are no marks on it :).

I would suggest you go for a MK1, the ones before 1999. I bought mine from a mechanic, his daughter has one too, he says the newer model is not as reliable. Make sure the timing belt is done, the head gasket on mine was a bit gone but it passed the NCT despite this and then it got a new head gasket.

I asked so many people's advice and in the end went with that of our company's Health & Safety officer, he organises the company fleet and basically said, everyone has a car they don't like, no matter what car you pick there will ALWAYS be someone who will tell you not to.

At the end of the day a reputation is just that- a reputation. Mud sticks. You could talk to 10,000 Punto owners, most of them might be happy but the ones that aren't will talk the loudest!!! Unfortunately bad things stick in our minds much more than good things!

yeah id agree with the obove poster., although its not the end of the world if the timing belt isnt done on the one you buy, the majority or them are 8valves and are simple to change the belt on., should take about 20mins to do or a garage could do it for about 100-150ish, compared to most cars around 250 upwards., the Mk1 is definately more reliable and i think it looks better than the mk2.,
    the whole reputation thing comes from years ago when fiats used to be made with steal that was sorced from russia, the content in the steal meant it was a lot more prone to rusting than the japs were., its not like that now and the cars are pretty decent, no car is break proof., but if you want the best reliability buy a honda., :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

On the MkII: the 1.2 8v FIRE engine eats head gaskets; the ECU has a strange habit of going in unusual ways - leaving you with an engine light on and a car thats reluctant to start but still runs fine. And people break in to them a lot.

Had three of them in the family, one got written off by a learner driving straight out of a petrol station in to it; and the other two are still driving. One has had two head gasket replacements and two new door skins due to having the radio swiped; and the other has the ECU problem, but both have done insane mileages.

Also had a Mark 1 that had a head gasket failure, same 1.2 FIRE engine, and then eventually died on the side of the road terminally of the same fault - both times it was being driven by someone who didn't know what the temperature gauge meant... but that was after 150,000 miles or so.
    green123 wrote: »

Gasket - about 50c. Skimming the engine block and fitting the new one after the old one has carbonised itself - about 600 quid I seem to remember. And it can't be done very often.

MYOB wrote: »
    On the MkII: the 1.2 8v FIRE engine eats head gaskets; the ECU has a strange habit of going in unusual ways - leaving you with an engine light on and a car thats reluctant to start but still runs fine. And people break in to them a lot.

Had three of them in the family, one got written off by a learner driving straight out of a petrol station in to it; and the other two are still driving. One has had two head gasket replacements and two new door skins due to having the radio swiped; and the other has the ECU problem, but both have done insane mileages.

Also had a Mark 1 that had a head gasket failure, same 1.2 FIRE engine, and then eventually died on the side of the road terminally of the same fault - both times it was being driven by someone who didn't know what the temperature gauge meant... but that was after 150,000 miles or so.

Gasket - about 50c. Skimming the engine block and fitting the new one after the old one has carbonised itself - about 600 quid I seem to remember. And it can't be done very often.

yeah the trouble with the mk1 was the cheaper models had a "its too late light" instead of a temp gauge,., the water pump, core plugs and thermostat are the usuall causes of head gasket failure but a lot of times ive seen the head gasket repaired and they dont do anything with the cause of it., then its gonna happen again at some time., the ECU on the mk2 can have issues aswell, but thats just a matter of disconnecting the battery over night and it resets,(unless there an actual fault which will turn the light on again if its not checked) some cars need to go on diag to clear the fault codes even after the problem is fixed.,
    the head gasket is €24.86 in the fiat dealers and skimming is between 60-80 euro depending on where you go, altogether it sould be about 250-300 from a mechanic (not the main dealer, there always way over priced) to have the whole job done.,

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

S.I.R wrote: »
    puntos are s*** FACT.

anyone who drives is a fool regardless of how far the heads located up there bottom.
    Without providing a source or indeed some reasoning behind your post, you come across as the one with your head tucked away!

• Advertisement

vtec wrote: »
    the head gasket is €24.86 in the fiat dealers and skimming is between 60-80 euro depending on where you go, altogether it sould be about 250-300 from a mechanic (not the main dealer, there always way over priced) to have the whole job done.,

the members of my family that have got it done have gone to the stealers, that'd be why it was more. The 50c gasket price was being facetious though :p

MYOB wrote: »
    the members of my family that have got it done have gone to the stealers, that'd be why it was more. The 50c gasket price was being facetious though :p

lol., to be honest i thoughtyou were talking about buying that gasket paper and making your own.,lol, ive seen it done.,:D

lol., to be honest i thoughtyou were talking about buying that gasket paper and making your own.,lol, ive seen it done.,:D

I do maintain my Panda myself but not to that level! Yet....

Its being dumped on another member of the family in the new year and I'm going to a Grande. Nobody is going to buy a crash damaged, no dealers service history since 2005, 3 year old car with enough mileage for a ten year old one even if it runs perfectly :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

i knew the usuall "ah fiats are cr*p" crowd would be around before long.,

that saounds VERY unlikely to me., ive never heard of it once., and as most head gasket problems with fiat engines are caused by wear on cooling system parts, the chances are even more unlikely on a car with a brand new cooling system.,

I know exactly what im talkin about seen it done it.
    There was a problem with punto cooling fans not cutting in when the engines were being tested so dont try and tell me im wrong.
    So what makes you think there so great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

the wife has a punto for the last year and its been a fab little car.
    I bought it cheap and spent some money on it but when I think what a sh*t box
    Micra or Yaris would have cost me I am still way up, plus it is ten times nicer a car to drive.
    People think I am nuts but I would rather take the Punto into Dublin city any day than my BMW.

BTW It's funny to notice having read this thread all of the posters whos names I never have seen before coming out of the woodwork to sh*t on the punto.

Pay less than you would a Jap crap - expect to pay for a bit or two to keep it going and you'll have a way nicer car than most of the opposition. And f*ck the idiots who know no better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

MY girlfriend has a 05 Punto, the only issue we've had with it is that the earth wire from the battery wasn't connected to the body work correctly, We ended up having to scrape a bit of paint off where the contact was being made and that sorted it out. Other than that not one problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Wouldn't touch one with a bargepole. The wife had one - nice enough inside etc but heap of junk. Two head gaskets. Exhaust fell off (also a common problem apparently). Bulbs always blowing. Get a Fiesta 1.25 instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

green123 wrote: »

Head Gasket would cost you about €75 putting it in may cost you €700.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

people say a Micra is a really reliable car, my friend has one and it gives her nothing but grief, same as my colleague's Peugeot 206- ok they're not recommended as often as Micras but they're a popular car- she has spent €1000 on it in the past 3 weeks.

I love my Punto, my parents had a MK1 they bought new, they had it for 6 years, never any trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

My brother has a punto and hasn't had any problems with it so far.

The Punto was at one time, the best-selling car in its class in Europe so with more of them around than other cars in its class it is obvious that you are going to see more Puntos with problems.

When I was in college a guy I knew refused to buy a bargain used Punto instead opting for a used Polo "because it's more reliable". Two months later he had to replace the exhaust. A month after that the electrics quit on the car, two weeks after the electrics were fixed the gearbox went. Now, if I was a clueless wonder like some people on this thread I would simply say "Oh, based on that, then it stands to reason that all Polos are crap!" ;) I know that's not true. :) There are lemons across all brands.

OP, in that class of car, an old Punto will get you from A to B without much hassle. None of the cars in that class are exactly the height of luxury. :) When you are buying it make sure the car has a full service history and that it has had any car recall problems fixed. Check it out for signs of crashes, clocked mileage etc. Do your homework and you'll be alright.

Advertisement