Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pompey game

Options
  • 15-12-2007 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Huge result for us today. I was watching the game and we were the better team throughout. Pompey weren't great but we looked quite solid i thought. More of that for next saturday and carling cup during the week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

totally agree with you we were the better team and made them look poor,can see us climbing the table from now on,when you consider that king and rocha will be back shortly and robbie will be back from ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭RingoSpur

Well king is apparently quite close to a return so that is another positive for us. I've been a bit dissapointed with bent in the last couple of games though. He wasn't up to much today and this is a great chance for him to get into the side with keane suspended. He's playin with no confidence imo

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

Cheered me up hearing the result today!!! :D:):D

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

RingoSpur wrote: »
    I've been a bit dissapointed with bent in the last couple of games though. He wasn't up to much today and this is a great chance for him to get into the side with keane suspended. He's playin with no confidence imo

Agree thought he was awful - should have brought on Defoe earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

galinka wrote: »
    Agree thought he was awful - should have brought on Defoe earlier.
    And had a cracker against the upright at the end - He should start Tuesday without a doubt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I think your all being a bit harsh on Bent to be honest. Yes he was't overly fancy or he didnt do anything outstanding, but he works very hard, and chases several balls into corners and down the channels. He works a lot harder than his strike partner which is'nt very hard.

In saying that, Id love to see Defoe start at city, I think he deserves it as he's looked very sharp during his cameo's recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

I'd start Defoe for every away game.

When playing away from home the goal scoring chances are usually more restricted. Thats when you want an out and out scorer. Give him two chances and I garantee he'll bag one of them.

As for Bent, I think we all agree he was never a £16.5m man. He's desperately trying to shake off the weight of that price tag and I think its affecting his game. Looks like someone who urgently needs an injection of confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I disagree about the starting defoe in every away game issue. If anything I'd start him in more home games as we will make more chances and he is a more natural finisher than bent. However away from home bent will chase balls down and make a lot more runs than defoe which is more important in away games in order to take the pressue off the back 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

Hatch99 wrote: »
    I think your all being a bit harsh on Bent to be honest. Yes he was't overly fancy or he didnt do anything outstanding, but he works very hard, and chases several balls into corners and down the channels. He works a lot harder than his strike partner which is'nt very hard.

In saying that, Id love to see Defoe start at city, I think he deserves it as he's looked very sharp during his cameo's recently.

Did well alrite but his first touch was way off for that last chance. Let the ball run yards ahead of him.
    TBH I'd persist with Bent upfront cos I think he needs games and a goal or 2 as much if not more than Defoe.

yiddo wrote: »
    Did well alrite but his first touch was way off for that last chance. Let the ball run yards ahead of him.
    TBH I'd persist with Bent upfront cos I think he needs games and a goal or 2 as much if not more than Defoe.
    If Defoe doesn't start games he will leave in January - sounds like nobody really cares though?

• Advertisement

John W wrote: »
    If Defoe doesn't start games he will leave in January - sounds like nobody really cares though?

Doesn't bother me one way or the other. He's fighting for 3rd spot in my opinion behind Berbs and Keane.

yiddo wrote: »
    Doesn't bother me one way or the other. He's fighting for 3rd spot in my opinion behind Berbs and Keane.
    So we only need three strikers in the squad, and your happy to see defoe go. And him scoring last night also - start him and he scores, away from home, and you think he is not worth fighting for. We must have some damed good strikers in the team I don't know about? We are in the Carling, FA, EUFA cups and fighting to get up the league, and you think the 3 strikers are enough to carry the load of all these games, sorry I just don't understand that thinking - it would be a lot easier to try and keep him IMO.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Have to agree with John W on that one

John W wrote: »
    So we only need three strikers in the squad, and your happy to see defoe go. And him scoring last night also - start him and he scores, away from home, and you think he is not worth fighting for. We must have some damed good strikers in the team I don't know about? We are in the Carling, FA, EUFA cups and fighting to get up the league, and you think the 3 strikers are enough to carry the load of all these games, sorry I just don't understand that thinking - it would be a lot easier to try and keep him IMO.;)

I've no problem with Defoe staying. All he has to do is put pen to paper and sign the contract. Otherwise jog on!

Advertisement