Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do lecturers know whos exam they're correcting?

Options
  • 15-12-2007 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Just curious, have exams coming up in January and there's a couple of lecturers who I don't really see eye-to-eye with. They might be biased if they knew it was my exam they were correcting ya know..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

in theory they shouldn't but it wouldn't be hard for them to get a list of exam numbers and student numbers, then all they'd need would be a list of student numbers and names then.

i doubt any of them would be bothered though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Also depends how many are in your class and if you've done CA exams before. If they've already corrected an examing knowing it was you then they'll probably have a fairly good idea of who's who when it comes to the January ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

I thoughht the whole point of an exam number was to prevent them knowing? Otherwise they'd just get ya to write your name on the exam. The admin people/presidents of the college take that very seriously afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭drogbaa

The whole anonymous marking thing can work both ways though. There was some college (DCU??) where the SU campaigned to bring it in, and then the students voted against it. It seems the swotty students felt that it would be better for them if the lecturer knew that it was their exam. So if they had a bad day / unlucky in the exam / etc, the lecturer would cut them some slack (cos they were big licks).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

In DIT there is anonymous marking for written exams. However, if a lecturer really wanted to find out then he/she could. Generally they don't bother. Although as someone else said they may know your handwriting from continuous assessments anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ferror

drogbaa wrote: »
    The whole anonymous marking thing can work both ways though. There was some college (DCU??) where the SU campaigned to bring it in, and then the students voted against it. It seems the swotty students felt that it would be better for them if the lecturer knew that it was their exam. So if they had a bad day / unlucky in the exam / etc, the lecturer would cut them some slack (cos they were big licks).

No DCU have anonymous marking now, it was one of the few colleges that didn't have it up to about a year ago though...

As for DIT i presume it's the same - as mentioned before they may know your handwriting, but aren't the graded papers rechecked by an external examiner anyway? (preliminary result as apposed to checked final result...)

Hmmm, think it's better to stay on a lecturer's good side none the less :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Ferror wrote: »
    As for DIT i presume it's the same - as mentioned before they may know your handwriting, but aren't the graded papers rechecked by an external examiner anyway? (preliminary result as apposed to checked final result...)

DIT papers aren't checked by external examiners as far as I know. They're separate from the other Institutes of Technology in that regard, an autonomous institute not under the control of HETAC.

Marking of papers is anonymous, doubtful that they'd know people's handwriting to see unless it was a small class or a subject that involved alot of essay type answers. They could find out identities if they really wanted but I can't imagine most would bother, they'd have to match the exam number with the student number and then find out whose student number it was. They're not going to do that unless there was a specific reason, and they aren't supposed to anyway.

There's always the recheck/appeals process for anybody who isn't happy with the mark they've been given. But I expect the majority of lecturers would be fair enough in the way they handle marking in general. Always the odd gobsh1te of course but sure you'll have that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dr Lektroluv

aidan24326 wrote: »
    DIT papers aren't checked by external examiners as far as I know. They're separate from the other Institutes of Technology in that regard, an autonomous institute not under the control of HETAC.

Of course there are external examiners in DIT. The 2 who externally examine the comp science papers are Prof A.T. Whitehouse and Dr K. Bechkoum - both from cambridge I believe. Their names are on nearly every past exam paper.

external examiners depend on the course.

DT228 is only externally examined in 2nd and 4th year for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

If my experience is anything to go by, they don't.

In my finals a (good) few years ago, I took an exam for a class I did not attend (except for the last one of the year!)

Lecturer balled me out for being useless and, later, in the pub, had a heart to heart with me on how I'd never make anything of myself etc.

I took his exam and got an A!

I know that if he knew it was my paper, he would not have given an A.

Ironically, I used my flatmates notes to swot for the exam the night before. His notes were excellent but he got a C in the exam!! And he was there for all the classes.

Practical Proof.

• Advertisement

just thinking about this if you do CA's during the year in which you hand up with only your name and student number on them.

how would a lecturer know to add your CA mark to the exam script if they had no way of finding out your student number from your exam number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭constellation

Cremo wrote: »
    just thinking about this if you do CA's during the year in which you hand up with only your name and student number on them.

how would a lecturer know to add your CA mark to the exam script if they had no way of finding out your student number from your exam number.

How this works:
    - Get completed scripts from examination offices.
    - Correct scripts
    - Return scripts to examination office and bring CA marks with you
    - Ask examination office for page containing student names and exam numbers
    - Add exam + CA = final mark and fill in the result sheet there and then in the examination office

Strictly speaking, the lecturer *could* determine who wrote what script - either by handwriting or by other means. In reality, each lecturer has hundreds of students and it would be a very rare one (if any at all) that would care enough to fiddle with the score one way or the other. There are checks and balances via the external examiners, year and course coordinators, heads of departments, and so on.

In short, don't worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭The Hacker

How this works:
    - Get completed scripts from examination offices.
    - Correct scripts
    - Return scripts to examination office and bring CA marks with you
    - Ask examination office for page containing student names and exam numbers
    - Add exam + CA = final mark and fill in the result sheet there and then in the examination office

Are you sure that's the exact process or just guessing? Because I thought a lot of that was done at the exam board meeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭constellation

The Hacker wrote: »
    Are you sure that's the exact process or just guessing? Because I thought a lot of that was done at the exam board meeting.

It's the way I do it and it's the way I was told to do it by the exam office. Of course, some lecturers may do that at the exam board meeting. Either way, there are checks and balances. It would be difficult for one lecturer to skew the results one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

It's the way I do it and it's the way I was told to do it by the exam office. Of course, some lecturers may do that at the exam board meeting. Either way, there are checks and balances. It would be difficult for one lecturer to skew the results one way or the other.

As with most things in DIT this process is different in each Faculty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

When can you repeat a Semester 1 / Christmas exam if you fail? Is it with the summer exams or in August?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Linku wrote: »
    When can you repeat a Semester 1 / Christmas exam if you fail? Is it with the summer exams or in August?

Yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭The Hacker

Also u can't graduate with the rest of your class in october u have to wait until january or something! Just pass the exams, you'd be surprised how much you can learn the night before.

Advertisement