Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Emergency Services in the news

• 15-12-2007 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

thought it'd make sense to put any media links here when ES-related stories appear in the news.

Today:

Two gardaí wounded in Co Cavan
    Saturday, 15 December 2007 14:57

Two gardaí were wounded in Co Cavan last night after responding to what is believed to have been a domestic incident.

The incident occurred at Dungimmon, Mountnugent at around 8.00pm yesterday.

One garda was treated in Cavan General Hospital having received injuries to his thigh. He has since been released.
    Advertisement

The second garda is currently being treated at Cavan General Hospital for what are believed to be abdominal injuries. His injuries are not believed to be life threatening.

A man has been arrested and is currently being detained at Cavan Garda Station.

Story from RTÉ News:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1215/cavan.html

edit: The RTE story appears to be a bit behind... Newstalk mentioned that they were stabbed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Feel sorry for the country guards. Assistance is miles away. A hiding can happen in 30 seconds.

The city lads have it a bit easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mheycwojsngb/

Dublin pedestrian struck by Garda patrol car

A 19-year-old male pedestrian has been injured after being struck by a Garda patrol car in Dublin.

The incident happened at 2.30am today on the Blessington road in Tallaght.

The man was taken to Tallaght Hospital.

A statement from the force has confirmed the Garda Ombusdsman has been informed of the incident.

----

RTÉ said that the Garda van wasn't involved in a pursuit at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Update on that last one Dave....

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0101/rta.html

"A 19-year-old man who was struck by a garda patrol car in Tallaght this morning has died.
    The victim has been named locally as Phillip Hogarty, who was from Tallaght.
    It is understood that the patrol car was not involved in a pursuit at the time.

The crash happened near the junction of the N81 and the Cheeverstown Roundabout in Tallaght at 2.30am.
    The man was taken to Tallaght Hospital and was in a critical condition all day.
    The Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission is investigating the incident because of the garda involvement."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Whats the relevance of if the gardai were engaged in a pursuit?

I presume if the gardai had been in a pursuit it would have been 100% the dead persons fault that they were on the roadway. With a garda car and suspect car speeding towards them with blue lights flashing, headlights flashing and sirens blaring and they did not get out of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Chief--- wrote: »

I presume if the gardai had been in a pursuit it would have been 100% the dead persons fault that they were on the roadway. With a garda car and suspect car speeding towards them with blue lights flashing, headlights flashing and sirens blaring and they did not get out of the way.
    But if someone was "stranded" on the road some how it would be the Gardai responsbility to drive safely. Is there primary concern in a pursuit not the safety of other road users?

Anyway... full facts aren't in yet I believe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

Pursuits are a police hot potato, so this will always be one of the first questions asked in any road fatality involving police.

Statistically pursuits are very dangerous and sometimes prove fatal for suspects, civilians or police. This is why only certain police drivers are authorised to engage in a pursuit (in the UK at least). In fact some forces over here have looked at removing police pursuit as a tactical option purely because its so risky. As it stands the Duty Inspector in the control room will decide if police units can officially engage in a pursuit and can terminate a budding pursuit should the risk involved outweigh the need to stop a bandit vehicle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

random wrote: »
    Anyway... full facts aren't in yet I believe?

No not yet, being New Years and all you just don't know...

Anyway I myself will not jump to any conclusions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not sure. I think part of it is the media looking for a headline and part of it the public assuming it was the cops chasing some boy racers / heading for Centra.

Of course it doesn't say if they were responding to a call or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Well I woulda assumed it was more to do with the fact that if they were in a pursuit they would have been going particularly fast. But as Chief-- mentioned, if that were the case, the sirens woulda been on, so I guess it's not that relevent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Ouch, there was a break in at the administrative office of the Assistant Garda Commissioner last night.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0122/garda.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

There will be hell to pay for this. I am presuming that security is/should be very tight in Harcourt.

Having said that it was a very cheeky thing to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There was another a bit more than a year ago.

TheNog wrote: »
    There will be hell to pay for this. I am presuming that security is/should be very tight in Harcourt.

Having said that it was a very cheeky thing to do

Aye - and who knows where those stolen uniforms may show up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

I presume if the gardai had been in a pursuit it would have been 100% the dead persons fault that they were on the roadway.

Law enforcers are not above the law and still have to abide by the Road Traffic Act. They can be just as easily prosecuted for their driving as Joe Public can irrespective of whether they are in pursuit or not.

Here is a London Pol/Col. Police driver at fault when she was either pursuing a vehicle or responding to an "I" Grade call through a red light, she collided with a vehicle who was going through the green light. Fortunately, no serious injuries to either parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

As you have edited the street signs you might want to edit the address on the pillars to the left of the police car.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Hagar wrote: »
    As you have edited the street signs you might want to edit the address on the pillars to the left of the police car.;)

Cheers fella, good spot.... Sorted ;)

Advertisement