Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Squeeking breaks

Options
  • 15-12-2007 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Sometimes there is a faint squeaking noise from my brakes. I guess this means my break pads are on the way out? :( The weird thing is it comes and goes. Do you guys think I just need new pads and that's it? Or could something else be at work here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

More than likely the brake pads. I think its normal for it to come and go but soon enough it be constant.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

tuxy wrote: »
    Sometimes there is a faint squeaking noise from my brakes. I guess this means my break pads are on the way out? :( The weird thing is it comes and goes. Do you guys think I just need new pads and that's it? Or could something else be at work here?

Try oiling them up:D
    Sounds like the pads might need changing, there's not too much else i can think of that would cause the squeaking. (i actually knew i guy who was about to put oil on his breaks because they were squeaking, i kid you not!:eek:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

You'll get a definitive answer if you look at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Not good, my driving test is on Thursday. It's hard to see them behind the hubs, will take a tyre off tomorrow and check for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I wouldn't go to the driving test like that, just incase it would void the test. Could be risky.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

they might just be dirty., check if theres enough friction material left on them and give them a power hose, then put a smear of copper grease on the bask of them to illeminate the vibration.,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Squealing brakes are normally the result of the rear of the brake pad (the bit that doesn't make contact with the disc) vibrating against the caliper (under braking) causing the squealing noise. Most brakes pads come with a lining on the back that prevents metal to metal contact. Cheaper non Original Equipment pads are normally the worst offenders. Not all spurious brake pads will squeal though (and some OE pads squeal too).
    For example Textar pads are what BMW uses to supply their OE brake pads.

The copper grease solution is really only a temporary reprieve from the squealing in my opinion. For it to work at all you need to remove the calipers & get copper grease in all the areas where the back of the pad touches the caliper. You also have the be careful that you don't get the grease on any of the surfaces like the pad face or brake disc. At that rate you might as well be changing the pads.
    The reason you need to use copper grease as opposed to any other kind of grease is because it has a high melting point.
    If the pads had worn right down I would expect the noise to be more of a grating/grinding noise. Also the braking would probably affected, e.g. it would be pulling to one side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

did you check for grooves in the disc ?? even the Slightest offset will put you back a few quid to put right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

I would guess that your adjusters are stiff, these are the 2 bolts at the back of the brake caliper which should move in and out freely, I had a terrible time once when I changed the brake pads 3 times to 3 different makes and all the time it was the ajusters that were stiff.
    These are the 2 bolts facing the engine, get them out, wire brush them, light coating of grease, problem solved...It was never the pads at all.....Did not tell that to my local motor factor though !!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Small cautionary note, though it was an extreme case. I ignored my squealing brakes for about a week. until they caught my attention with brake pedal to the floor and no braking. Luckily it was at a gentle bend and the the handbrake slowed me. I nursed the car home on the handbrake.

I took the roadwheel off and had a look. The pad retaining spring had snapped, this allowed the very worn pad to rattle around. This caused the squeaking. However the pad had become thin enough to fall down out of the caliper, the next brake peddle compression just forced out the piston this took up all the pedal travel.

Pumping the pedal probably would have restored some braking, for some reason i never thought of that, pulling the handbrake was my first reaction. Pretty extreme case I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

tuxy wrote: »
    will take a tyre off tomorrow and check for sure.
    No one on here is going to be able to tell you why for definite.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

stratos wrote: »
    Small cautionary note, though it was an extreme case. I ignored my squealing brakes for about a week. until they caught my attention with brake pedal to the floor and no braking. Luckily it was at a gentle bend and the the handbrake slowed me. I nursed the car home on the handbrake.

I took the roadwheel off and had a look. The pad retaining spring had snapped, this allowed the very worn pad to rattle around. This caused the squeaking. However the pad had become thin enough to fall down out of the caliper, the next brake peddle compression just forced out the piston this took up all the pedal travel.

Pumping the pedal probably would have restored some braking, for some reason i never thought of that, pulling the handbrake was my first reaction. Pretty extreme case I know.

Heard a similar story. Scary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I had an STI a few years ago....the Brembo brakes constantly squeeked....i think it was cos the pads were so hard......anyways....one thing you could try is reversing a good speed and then jamming on the brakes.....often alot of dust gets caught in them and this dislodges it.
    However.....brakes are so inportant that i wouldnt take any chances.....bring it to Advance or one of those places....some check them for free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

The most likely cause of your brake squeel is probably a little metal wear sensor on the brake pads depends on the make if it is that it will get worse as the brakes wear down till it is in it all the time.
    If it is just brake squeel from pads rattling its noyhing to worry about just annoying.
    If your not sure get it checked out by someone who knows what they are doing.
    Brakes are not something you take chances with.

Advertisement