Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What specifically Oirish/Home Foods Do You Miss While Abroad?

• 15-12-2007 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭

I currently live in China and I can safely say I have been salivating about Christmas dinner since June.:) Beijing caters very well for Western tastes also (you can even buy Kerrygold!) but there are some foodstuffs (or lack thereof) that cause me to salivate like a rabid puppy in a shelter for homeless kittens. To name but a few (foodstuffs not kittens):

Proper roast potatoes
    Atlantic prawns
    Really fresh rocket
    Galtee Tendercure Thick Cut Rashers
    Superquinn Sausages
    Taytos
    My Mum's lasagne
    Lyons Tea
    Gravy
    Any cheap confectionary - could murder a wham or a stinger bar
    Brown bread
    Gubeen cheese

I could be here all night! When you are abroad, what food do you think to yourself, "I could murder some "insert said foostuff/s" when I land.......?"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Milk

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

We had a few while inter-railing this summer. One that springs to mind was chipper food. A single of good chunky chips with salt and vinegar!!

Having said that, every city we went to had a different local 'late night' food that was fun to taste. Some kind of grilled corn in Split, was very strange, we think it might have just been burnt! Kebabs everywhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

jameshayes wrote: »
    Milk

Yep, too many different kinds in the US. Vitamin D (closed to what I used to drink and still not the same) , Skimmed, 2 %, etc *holds head in hands* Soda bread is another one. Cheese and onion crisps of any kind, not a big flavour in America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Ruu wrote: »
    Cheese and onion crisps of any kind, not a big flavour in America.

Was out this evening with a friend who was back from Ireland. She presented me with four bags of Cheese & Onion Tayto. Bliss:)

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    Really fresh rocket

Where did you come across fresh rocket in Ireland?
    This is nearly top of my list of things I miss when I come home to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I'm in Australia. I don't know that I actively miss foodstuffs, but I do find them difficult to get - Ireland's dairy is fantastic quality, both milk and butter. That and pig products. The ham here is a shambles. I can't get decent rashers, and I despair of the chance of a proper breakfast sausage. Eggs are crap too, but luckily we have our own little flock of chickens so they're keeping me in quality scram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

"Oirish"? Why the sneer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

When i visit abroad i'm usually asked to bring one or all of the following:

Rashers
    Black/White Pudding
    Sausages
    Tea
    Crisps
    Cadburys Choc (some countries don't have proper choc.)
    Red Lemonade

There are others but i can't remember them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Manhattan Popcorn
    Butter
    Chipper Food

You can get Kerrygold butter in London but it doesn't taste the same at all! And even though I would rarely eat chippers in Dublin, I miss the smell as you walk past them!

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Where did you come across fresh rocket in Ireland?
    This is nearly top of my list of things I miss when I come home to Ireland.

Mum grows it although don't know if it's in season now. Can't find it here anywhere?

• Advertisement

luckat wrote: »
    "Oirish"? Why the sneer?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    :confused:

Why not just say "Irish"? "Oirish" is a spelling used by people who want to sneer at Irish things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

kowloon wrote: »
    When i visit abroad i'm usually asked to bring one or all of the following:

Rashers
    Black/White Pudding
    Sausages
    Tea
    Crisps
    Cadburys Choc (some countries don't have proper choc.)
    Red Lemonade

There are others but i can't remember them
    Same as above more or less ,the irish centres in uk stock all things irish but they charge extra becuse of importing the stuff over here .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

I'm only in London but: Tayto! I've not seen any Irish tea in my local supermarket either which is a bit annoying. I can barely taste the difference between say, PG Tips and Lyons but I know which one I prefer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Can get red lemonade,galty cheese,barrys tea, mikado biscuits ,brown soda bread,odlums flour ,rashers and a rake of other stuff in my local irish centre but a bit pricey so only buy occassionaly ...actually think i'll pop down tomorrow and stock up on the barrys tea as a christmas treat :)

Ah forgot red lemonade. People over here don't have a clue what I'm talking about when I mention good old TK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

WexCan wrote: »
    Ah forgot red lemonade. People over here don't have a clue what I'm talking about when I mention good old TK.

The Asda at Roehampton Vale on the A3 used to sell Cidona, Red lemonade and a variety of other irish goodies. Not sure if the other large Asda's carry the same range. Roehampton Vale is not known as an Irish community.

I miss Kimberley biscuits and Clonakility black pudding. Also Caprani sausages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Chipper curry sauce.

Snax and Chipstix.

Cadbury Chocolate.

Red Lemonade.

Lyons Tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rosie26

I'm off to Karlsruhe today and I'm bringing almost everything that's been mentioned. Was thinking of bringing some mince pies also. What is the general opinion on them?

Oh and by the way I think 'oirish' is an ok word to use. It is kinda piss-taking after all - we're discussing stereotypes here - hundreds of irish abroad salivating over their keybpoards at the mere thought of Tayto :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The mention of Tayto reminds me of when I was working in England - a colleague - let's call him Simon - was travelling over to Dublin for work & kindly asked me if there was anything that I wanted brought back. "A couple of bags of Tayto would be great," I replied.

I near wet myself a couple of days later when Simon walked into the office carrying two 10kg bags of Roosters. "What the hell...? Do you expect me to make the crisps meself? 'Tayto' are crisps - just like 'Walkers'," says I.
    "Ah, for fcuk's sake," says Simon, "I thought that 'tayto' was just another term for potatoes just like 'spuds'. I was wonder why I got funny looks bringing these through in my hand luggage."

• Advertisement

rosie26 wrote: »
    ...hundreds of irish abroad salivating over their keybpoards at the mere thought of Tayto :)

*drool* Taaaayyyytttoooooo....

More than just a stereotype though, Walkers just can't compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

i used to live in north london and i saw Tayto crisps in both our local Morrisons and Tesco.

i'm from the north but living in Dublin i miss real soda bread and potato bread, a fry is never complete without both, and i stuff my bag with them every time i go back home

when i'm away though, i do miss our chocolate, bread (American bread is disgustingly sweet), bacon and sausages. for the aussies being so in love with the BBQ, why are their sausages so rank?!?! i do miss their kangaroo meat though now that i'm home

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Beerlao wrote: »
    bread (American bread is disgustingly sweet)

That's so true, it tastes like it's made with 90% butter and sugar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Without a doubt the thing we have best here is our milk, other countries seem to have universally accepted crap milk or worse, uht.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 buttons19984

Sausages, decent sausages, i'm in san francisco and the so called sausages are just unedible. The brands are galtee, tommy maloneys etc and are terrible. I haven't eaten one in months as there are full of grit and taste disgusting. Also decent bread, the yanks put sugar in everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 WiCkLaMuLlA

How ya, i know this subject is an oldy but i miss Barn Brack (not Bally-bleedin' Brack!!!) ya know the Brack that had a 'gold' ring wapped in grease proof paper baked into it ??? Wicky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Cheese n' Onion crisps. Barry's tea.

Advertisement