Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G&P Stubby Review

Options
  • 15-12-2007 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭

Okay, you have watched the movies, we all know it going to happen sooner or later, a drum of that chemical the US military have in storage somewhere...yes the dead will walk the earth. People will run to Dundrum shopping centre, only to find the living dead there each weekend, huh? is this a review of an aeg or the ramblings of an auld git...well its both.

the stubby is the first real aeg G&P have released using their best selling ZOMBIE kit. G&P have a fairly good reputation for their aeg's. They have the usual moans and groans about gearboxes but their metal bodies have a good to excellent reputation. About a year ago or so, G&P released a ZOMBIE M4 metal body. These have a unique number (i wonder who got 666 or 13?) and they sold very well. They also did a zombie silencer, more on this later. Now this is your usual M4, but they have painted zombie logos on the body. So you dont have SAFE,SEMI,AUTO instead you have Safe=Pray, Semi=Psalm, Auto=Asperges. It also has a quote form the bible specifically Luke 9:1, and for all ye heathens out there:

Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases

This never ceases to give me a chuckle to be honest. Both sides of the body have a zombie head on it.

Parts

The aeg has a 9cm RIS/RAS rail, yes only 9cm, 11cm if you include the locking collar. As you can see this lives up to the name stubby. This is the G&P stubby front end part part you can purchase seperately. It has the current US military text 'Stay back 100 metres or get shot'. Well here comes the first question...why? Do zombies read? and if they do, its the making of a desperately poor movie where the living dead all read that and collectively shout,'right ill get me coat then'. Still that would be better then pretty much any movie with george clooney. The metal in the RIS is very very good quality, feels like magnesium to me, which incidentally it isnt. The silencer they use is again a G&P silencer with what looks like a Seals calico jack deaths head or if you are into Pirates of the Caribbean, then its a pirates logo. It has arabic on one side and the 'stay back 100...' text on the other. Now to question 2: why? Why would they not put the zombie silencer on it and more to the point , in G&P global headquarters, do they expect zombies to understand arabic? Perhaps i am taking this all too seriously. I suspect its more to do with surplus stock and easy G&P upselling then anything else and for that very reason i found myself going out and purchasing the G&P zombie silencer.

The grip is the g27 style model and i must say its very comfortable to use. I could even go as far to say you could use this with only a little difficulty with one hand, its like a super large pistol, okay that a slight exaggeration, but not much. The stock is a full type with a hk416 style battery in the base held in by 2 screws. Dont mix the screws up as one of them also holds the rear sling (indeed the only sling point) in place. The weld lines are flawless. The stock on the pictures makes it look odd sized, but it isnt in real life. I am not a great lover of full stocks on anything but this one is excellent quality. a real matt black and good quality plastic. The top of the aeg has 2 sights the front is an open type RIS fold down type and the rear is a 600 metre sight. Both are full metal. The aeg is rock solid except for the well known issue of rattly G&P mag housing. Something they have had for a long time and dont seem to be remotely bothered by it. The final issue i have is the aeg comes with a vietnam style short mag. As it happens this suits me, i have a lot of the full style and need the short style ones for the Zimmerframers (where are we!) vietnam loadout. The mag is full metal and feeds very well. The G&P is TM compatible with regards to magazines. Speaking of compatability or lack thereof, for some ungodly reason G&P have a positve twist on their barrels...so if you are getting a silencer keep that in mind for g&p stuff.

The aeg fires at 1J and has a nice crack off of it. Even with a bigger silencer, the sound is not reduced by much, even at all. Its got a good ROF with a 8.4 volt battery. I have not tried it with a 9.6v yet but i dont go much for ROF. The stock and battery is a tight fit as the fuse housing is quite large. The battery is around 30 euro off ehobby.

Modifications
    A full size mag gives the aeg a much better look and i have a ACOG red dot on it (if i could afford a 552 red dot it would look the business). That with a torch and vertical grip go to making the ultimate Zombie Killer. All of that gear gives it a much chunkier look. This is definitely a CQB aeg. The compact size and it is really compact makes for the best room clearer in the M4 house. I was sorely tempted to put a box mag on it for a laugh. IF you get a chance check out the chap on arnies who has done a full religious zombie loadout (just the zombie body not this stubby)...excellent.

Finally, if you like Zombie movies, like M4's, then this is the one for you. If you need a short aeg, this is definitely for you otherwise it more of a collectors item. Me, i will be using it...so to all who hide out in the buildings in HRTA....IM COMING, ye living dead, ye spawn of satan, prepare thyself for the sprinkling of GODS justice...

Looks : (in the eye of the beholder) 9/10 (subbed one because no zombie silencer)
    Quality : 8/10 (the mag rattle is annoying, dont have it on any other M4)
    Accurracy : (limited testing) 8/10 (as good as you will get with such a short barrel)

Cost : 282 dollars + 90 dollars shipping + 30euro customs cost at WGC. Arrived in a week.

Pictures to follow...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

overview shot

DSCF0095.jpg

Detail (old camera cant really focus on writing)

DSCF0096.jpg

Other side...

DSCF0097.jpg

Modified Crane Stock

DSCF0098.jpg

Added pieces

Dboys Crane Stock (very simple to do)
    6v SWAT torch with momentary switch
    ACOG Sight large type
    Dboys sling mount (on rear)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement