Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrongfully banned

Options
  • 15-12-2007 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hello everyone.
    I never knew that this part of the forums existed until I decided to follow up on an unfair ban I recieved last night from Marksie.
    I was accused of arguing with a moderator (which I didnt). I was warned for an off topic post (which it wasnt) and proceeded to explain my actions.
    This resulted in a ban. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055199943&page=2
    As you can see I was more than polite in addressing the issue.

On another note, while I have been in here I read the "terry is out of order thread". Whilst I understand that mods are there to do a job I feel that some of them are under the impression that they are some kind of GOD or something. In fairness putting a gap before a full stop is hardly crime of the century, is it?
    Some of the warnings I see other people getting are ridiculous.
    I have never recieved a ban or warning before and I want this one rescinded.
    Thank you.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

...and I want this one rescinded

god damnit.. a gem like this, and half of boards is off at the beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭cudman

Yeah, I knew the night out was tonight. They can pore over it tomorrow when their heads are pounding :D
    Im not going to let it drop, because its a completely unfair ban.
    Just like the ban MrMicro recieved from politics and some other poster for allegedly advertising his wireless or something.
    Interesting place this feedback area!

you did argue with a mod. you just don't do that. they are the power, deal with it and come back in a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Ok, I've read the thread in question, and I think that a comment like "Apology accepted in advance" is just taking the piss. As I read the situation, you're just thumbing your nose at authority for being warned.

Sorry bucko, but no help from me.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

looks like an ok ban, a polite note from a mod pointing out that you don't 'call out' trolls on PI. You then argued anyway on thread and were a bit ignorant about it too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

cudman wrote: »
    Im not going to let it drop, because its a completely unfair ban.
    Boards.ie is a community. There are written and unwritten rules (the latter sometimes being more important to observe). If you want to be a part of this community, learn from this event and don't paint yourself into a corner. If you want change, then consider that you can get more done working with members overtime in our community than jumping-up-and-down making demands for change overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Just take the ban. Its not an unfair ban, PI threads are taken very seriously by the PI mods and there is zero tolerance on joking and off-topic posting. You can get away with being cheeky on most forums but not on PI. Maybe you didn't know that, if you didn't then write this off as a learning experience. In future if you are trying to blow the whistle on a troll use the report post function.

Mods are not "gods" as you put it, mod get banned too you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cudman: Banned Continued off topic posting and arguing with a mod in thread.

If you believe someone is trolling use the report button to bring the post to a moderators attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I was going to come in and be supportive of the OP.
    However I just checked the roster and I'm down for "Winding up bannees" tonight. We are a bit short staffed with the beers and all so I'll get back to you in a few minutes. In the meantime, take a deep breath and hold it. Oh yeah stamping your feet at the same time is often effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Wrongfully banned for a crime he did not commit, a lone man must take the law into his own hands. Fighting against injustice, grammar nazis and lolcats, his is a battle that never ends. This is the story of CUDMAN!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

John wrote: »
    Wrongfully banned for a crime he did not commit, a lone man must take the law into his own hands. Fighting against injustice, grammar nazis and lolcats, his is a battle that never ends. This is the story of CUDMAN!

I just read Cudman post and i dont believe he deserved his first warning and to ban him i think was a bit unfair, but i dont have the power to help.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Lads, lets review it on its merit and not jump to conclusions. I'll review it tomorrow (late!!) because I'm dressed up and about to jump in a taxi to the beers :):)
    Tonight, I'm Neo... tomorrow I'll be Judge Dredd , lol.

DeV.

i hope someone will be taking video of the ev... oh wait, nevermind.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

DeVore wrote: »
    Lads, lets review it on its merit and not jump to conclusions.

But it's so much more fun jumping to conclusions.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Mordeth wrote:
    i hope someone will be taking video of the ev... oh wait, nevermind.

I was rather hoping they wouldnt, myself :)
    Amazing when you think about it, there is almost no chance of going out these days but that someone has a video-phone or a pocket camcorder etc. The chances of this not being on youtube tomorrow are hellishly slim...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Looks to me like you picked the wrong forum to pick a fight.

You also got told how long it would be straight off - a gift not many mods have given by all accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I think the OP has failed to realise that PI is a special place and there is almost zero tolerance of breaches of charter by posters, particularly new posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Nope, not wrongful at all. Did you read the charter before posting? You were warned by 2 moderators but paid no heed.

Ok, just a few things to say.
    Firstly Im not a new poster, I just dont post very often (60+ pposts).
    I usually only post when I have something constructive to contribute about topics I would have knowledge of.
    Secondly, what is the point of having a feedback forum when "the powers that be" dont take it seriously anyway? I have had a look through 3 or 4 of the threads in here and the bans been handed out are an absolute joke.

The two I have read about terry (who I have never had any dealings with) are disgraceful. Every thread in here then ends up with a dozen mods coming in and posting smart mouth comments, thinking they are hilarious...oh ha ha look at me im a funny man.

Its a great example you shining lights of boards.ie are setting. Its strange that a couple of the threads in here have been led way off topic by mods and no repercussions there.
    Maybe some day if I just post nonsense, get my post count up to 4000 I too can become a mod and then run around my particular forum and ban people for joking. Then come in here and do the exact same thing without having to worry about being reprimanded. Oh the joy and self satisfaction of it all must be overwhelming

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

cudman you are perfectly welcome to come back and post in PI when your ban is up. You don't seem to be taking anything on board though, unfortunately.

• Advertisement

I am taking it on board gordon, but I wasnt the first to ask to see the pictures and I wasnt the first to wonder whether or not the op was a troll.
    Yes I did read the charter and I dont see how posting a link to a golden pages ad on youtube was helpful either.
    So if it is so strictly moderated, why werent the other people warned?
    I will also make the point again...I did not argue with dudara, I just stated my reasons for the post.
    As I said in my pm to marksie, I dont act the bollox in here and not one of my other posts in the last year have been either off topic or unhelpful.
    And honestly it just seems to me that this whole feedback forum is one big playground for mods to come in and laugh at people who have been handed stupid bans.

no, we laugh at people who are acting stupid because they have been handed appropriate bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I am taking it on board gordon, but I wasnt the first to ask to see the pictures and I wasnt the first to wonder whether or not the op was a troll.
    Yes I did read the charter and I dont see how posting a link to a golden pages ad on youtube was helpful either.
    So if it is so strictly moderated, why werent the other people warned?
    I will also make the point again...I did not argue with dudara, I just stated my reasons for the post.
    As I said in my pm to marksie, I dont act the bollox in here and not one of my other posts in the last year have been either off topic or unhelpful.
    And honestly it just seems to me that this whole feedback forum is one big playground for mods to come in and laugh at people who have been handed stupid bans.
    The ad for golden pages was a light hearted borderline comment. In this case the comment was left without comment by a mod. Your comment was a comment that is fairly popular on PI, we are used to people stating that they require picture verification. These types of comments are not the type of comment we want on PI, we prefer adult replies to adult problems.
    Well actually go back and have a look at his opening post and he said if anyone doesnt believe him he has photos. Well I dont believe him so I merely said id need to see the photos before I could give advice.
    I'm calling you out on that, I don't believe that those were your initial intentions, and i reckon Marksie felt that too possibly. Your use of a smilie in your first post on that thread leads me to believe that you were having a laugh.

Not sure why you keep bringing up the feedback forum on this thread, you could start a new thread to discuss your points maybe?

Most of your posts on PI seem to be very helpful so I do hope you come back when the ban is lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Hello everyone
    .I never knew that this part of the forums existed until I decided to follow up on an unfair ban I recieved last night from Marksie
    .I was accused of arguing with a moderator (which I didnt). I was warned for an off topic post (which it wasnt) and proceeded to explain my actions.
    This resulted in a ban http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055199943&page=2
    .As you can see I was more than polite in addressing the issue

.On another note, while I have been in here I read the "terry is out of order thread" . Whilst I understand that mods are there to do a job I feel that some of them are under the impression that they are some kind of GOD or something. In fairness putting a gap before a full stop is hardly crime of the century, is it?
    Some of the warnings I see other people getting are ridiculous
    .I have never recieved a ban or warning before and I want this one rescinded
    .Thank you .
    Ahh, in all fairness, I am quite god-like.

I resemble Buddha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Terry wrote: »

I resemble Buddha.

In width and height. An incredible likeness. Definitely not as peaceful though.

Terry wrote: »

I resemble Buddha.

Well sorry if it offends you but you seem quite idiot-like!

In reply to gordon, as you said yourself my posts have been helpful before but unless this ban is lifted I wouldnt be bothered posting again.
    I have better things to be doing than dealing with little men that hide behind a keyboard
    and let a bit of power go to their head.
    If anyone decides to take it on themselves to ban me from here too for upsetting terry...BOO HOO. Im not bothered, as I said last night this feedback section is a little playground where the big cool mods can giggle away at themselves.
    ps- the grin was in fact directed at the op and was intended to point out that I was calling him on the fact I didnt believe his post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Did you read the charter before you posted?
    Have you even read it since you were banned?
    I don't think any of it has sunk in yet, read it again.
    Eventually you will figure out where you went wrong, maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Gordon wrote: »
    I'm calling you out on that, I don't believe that those were your initial intentions, and i reckon Marksie felt that too possibly. Your use of a smilie in your first post on that thread leads me to believe that you were having a laugh.

Yes Gordon your surmise was correct. The fact that not one but two mods gave warnings also indicated that they felt it was in that vein.
    That makes four moderators.
    Given your subsequent long explanatory posts and the fact you didnt initially mention you thought he was trolling or even report the post. It doesn't cause me to reevaluate my initial decision

Your second post was in the same style and had an element of after the fact "explanation" with a sidehelping of sarcasm thrown in.

In the end when unbanned, it will be your decision whether to post in PI or not. Certainly you will be treated no differently to any other poster.

I have looked at the posts before your initial one and the mention of troll was in fact stating he hoped he was as it was lacking imagination.
    That poster subsequently gave some advice. this type of show us the pics comment is as gordon says one which is extremely common and when observed gets a warning.

Oh and finally, i always give a reason and time for the ban, its simply courtesy in my book to do so.

If you dont see a time, assume he has been very naughty indeed..

• Advertisement

Marksie wrote: »
    Yes Gordon your surmise was correct. The fact that not one but two mods gave warnings also indicated that they felt it was in that vein.
    That makes four moderators.
    Given your subsequent long explanatory posts and the fact you didnt initially mention you thought he was trolling or even report the post. It doesn't cause me to reevaluate my initial decision

Your second post was in the same style and had an element of after the fact "explanation" with a sidehelping of sarcasm thrown in.

In the end when unbanned, it will be your decision whether to post in PI or not. Certainly you will be treated no differently to any other poster.

I have looked at the posts before your initial one and the mention of troll was in fact stating he hoped he was as it was lacking imagination.
    That poster subsequently gave some advice. this type of show us the pics comment is as gordon says one which is extremely common and when observed gets a warning.

Oh and finally, i always give a reason and time for the ban, its simply courtesy in my book to do so.

If you dont see a time, assume he has been very naughty indeed..

oooh well look at gordon and marksie the big mind readers. they are able to not only tell me what I am thinnking, but they can also tell me I am wrong when I state what in fact I was thinking. Good work indeed.
    Go **** yourselves the two of ye, sad bastards

Advertisement