Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

closed mode on router

Options
  • 15-12-2007 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Have enabled closed mode on netopia 2247 router. Am I right that that means it will not broadcast the ssid.
    EDIT: How do I connect the other PC now it says no network are in range. How do i configure it to be on the closed system?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Just enter the ssid manually and select the appropriate channel. It may be easier for for you to enable the router to broadcast the ssid temporarly and switch it off wen you have connected the other pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

broadcast the ssid temporarly and switch it off when you have connected the other pc.
    And does not broadcasting the ssid protect me from unauthorised access? Sorry, having a real hard time understanding these ssid's and passwords. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

no.
    hiding the SSID does not help at all any more.

Only thing worth doing is a big random key on WPA AES.

Broken/Failed Security methods for WiFi:
    • Not Broadcasting SSID
    • Using WEP
    • MAC address filter

hiding the SSID does not help at all any more.
    How do they find the key if the SSID is hidden ?

If you really want to know, google wardriving or WiFi Hacking.
    Since the WiFi packets are exchanged between a base and user, then IPs, keys, MACs, everything can be captured.

If you put a stupid password on WPA, then it can be cracked by brute force easily too.

This is not the appropriate place to discuss hacking Howto. Sufficent to receive the wisdom of what is more secure.

• Advertisement

This is not the appropriate place to discuss hacking Howto. Sufficent to receive the wisdom of what is more secure.
    That is all I want. I can regularly see the SSID of someone else, a neighbour I guess. And if Ican see theirs perhaps they can see mine. I have no intention of hacking theirs, just want to make sure anyone can't hack mine

Only WPA with big key stops people hacking yours. The SSID is irrelevent. The Hacker tools don't need it.

Advertisement