Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Home Server website

• 15-12-2007 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭

Ahah I love this site, well the videos.
    http://www.stayathomeserver.com

Don't know if this is a Microsoft site or HP. Maybe both.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Well it is a MS website
    OEM version is pretty cheap, 190 quid in the US.
    http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Home-Server-OEM/dp/B000VWW8QQ/ref=pd_bbs_4?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1197757258&sr=8-4

I tried the Beta/RC version, was pretty nice, although I was surprised this thing was actually based on Windows 2003 SBS Edition.

Anyone has tried it or bought one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I am thinking of getting this as I've just bought one of those cheap dell poweredges

One of the main things I want to do though is leave it on overnight downloading torrents... can you remote desktop into windows home server and run programs like bitcomet;

to be honest I am not sure, whats the benefit against just having a normal xp machine with its folders networked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Tails142 wrote: »
    I am thinking of getting this as I've just bought one of those cheap dell poweredges

One of the main things I want to do though is leave it on overnight downloading torrents... can you remote desktop into windows home server and run programs like bitcomet;

to be honest I am not sure, whats the benefit against just having a normal xp machine with its folders networked?

Well surely you can have your very own dedicated XP machine to do whatever you want, but this product is optimized and designed for people who don't have necessary a extended computer knowledge.
    Also the HP box you can buy has 2 configs, 500GB and 1TB. So really this is a pretty big storage box for home with an automated backup feature. Other services are also available, did not got time to go through all of them yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Tails142 wrote: »
    can you remote desktop into windows home server and run programs like bitcomet;

Yes you can remote desktop into a WHS but I'm not sure how bittorrent would work. There is 1 or more torrent addons for it though, that integrate into the WHS console.

Advertisement