Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

valuable domain

Options
  • 15-12-2007 11:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭

Hi all,

Recently had a brain wave for a domain name, which i have now registered.

its suitable for an adult site and no good to me....

how would i go about generating revenue from this? its it normal to rent a domain?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

who is it registered wuth? the likes of godaddy allow "cashparking"

ps: squatting is bad :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

whats squatting?

It is with godaddy

login to godaddy account click on my domains. then click on the domain in question. on the next screen hover over the "cash in" image in the top menu and select "monetize in cashparking" and setup the account and voila your ready to go.

whats the domain name outta curiosity

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

You can also do this with Google. I've never done it myself so I have no idea how profitable it can be. If you make millions, let us know :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

malice_ wrote: »
    You can also do this with Google.

That's not aimed at end users.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

blacknight wrote: »
    That's not aimed at end users.
    :o Oops, you're right. I had seen it referenced in another discussion somewhere and had read through it quickly. The key phrase is:
    AdSense® for domains allows domain name registrars and large domain name holders to unlock the value in their parked page inventory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

whats squatting?

It is with godaddy
    Squatting is what the name suggests, taking a domain that is of no use to you with the intent of doing nothing more than selling it on at the highest price. Its a pain to people to whom the domain could actually be useful, as they are essentially being extorted (IMO).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

I am not aware about technics to eventually make some cash with squatting or parking.

But for having 4 adult websites myself, I can tell you this is awfully difficult to make any penny out of them.

There are two things really to be successful I believe in this area:

- Get traffic from other websites by offering free content. This is very difficult to get in touch with a lot of other webmasters. There are a few specialized forums available around to propose this, where many webmasters would have the opportunity to meet other webmasters. Very time consuming.
    - Update your website's content frequently, and for this you need to browse hundreds and hundreds of videos, pictures every single week.
    Ideally a daily update with at least 5-6 object is to be recommended. An this is really really time consuming. Myself I do not have time anymore to do this.

Beauty of the website does not really matter I have learned, this is really about the quality and accessibility of the content.
    Also the tipe of content does not matter, nothing works better than others (Like animal s*x, Org**, blondes, brunettes, black, white, asian) they are all the same.

Myself I was focusing on normal stuff only, other stuffs are not my cup of tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

I have been reading about GoDaddy cashparking and apparently many people have issues with it.
    The first thing is that you are not allowed to advertise your site at all.
    And also many people complained that after a few weeks GoDaddy closed their account. This means you aint getting the revenue anymore but GoDaddy does.
    Example of what I have seen:
    http://www.ventureitch.com/?p=129

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Squatting is what the name suggests, taking a domain that is of no use to you with the intent of doing nothing more than selling it on at the highest price. Its a pain to people to whom the domain could actually be useful, as they are essentially being extorted (IMO).
    Aidan, please stick with web design because you are making some rather broad and illfounded claims about squatting. Cybersquatting (squatting) is registering the domain to which someone else has rights (trademark etc) and trying to sell that domain back to the rights holder or make use of the domain in a way that would infringe on the rights of the other person/company.

Regards...jmcc

Hi all,

Recently had a brain wave for a domain name, which i have now registered.

its suitable for an adult site and no good to me....

how would i go about generating revenue from this? its it normal to rent a domain?
    Parking: basically you sign up with a service that puts pay per click advertising on the domain's website. You would then get (theoretically) revenue when someone decides to type in the domain and then clicks on an advert.

Selling: Sell the domain on Sedo or some of the other domain auction sites. They also allow you to park the domain with PPC advertising and a "this domain may be for sale" notice.

Like so many registered domains, it seems to have been a great idea at the time.

Regards...jmcc

was just looking on sedo.com there outta curiousity. check out this domain auction

people seriously wouldn't pay that much money for a domain name with about 3,500 unique hits a day would they??? I had a site with about 1,000 unique hits a day makes me wish I never let it fall by the wayside now :(

miju wrote: »
    was just looking on sedo.com there outta curiousity. check out this domain auction

people seriously wouldn't pay that much money for a domain name with about 3,500 unique hits a day would they??? I had a site with about 1,000 unique hits a day makes me wish I never let it fall by the wayside now :(
    Geo domains tend to make a lot of money. I'm not sure about Kosovo.com though. Those that do make the high prices tend to have large populations and they are almost always .com domains rather than ccTLD or other extension.

It really depends on what the end user wants to do with the domain - park it with PPC advertising, sell it on or develop it. I just checked Sedo on a few domains that I had parked there and forgot about - I made a grand total of 1.78 Euro. I might have been better off just selling the domains. :) (I had intended to develop an Irish Gig Guide site in 2000 and a few others sites that I just never got the time to develop.)

Regards...jmcc

Some of the prices that have been paid for domains over the last couple of years are a little mental :)

poker.de sold a few months ago for EUR650k, which was the highest price paid for a ccTLD domain at the time (on record)

hosting.mobi went for US$101k recently

However in both cases you can see how they'd make the money back.

[ snip ] :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Tbh i value that domain at $1....

can you send me a link to another domain thats not registered which would be suitable for an adult site?

thats not similar to www.realsex-4un0w.com

whats your 1$ value based on?

can you send me a link to another domain thats not registered which would be suitable for an adult site?

thats not similar to www.realsex-4un0w.com

whats your 1$ value based on?

After a 30 second search hardhorny.com

And I can get that for the just the domain fee....

the $1 come from :
    1) In no way clever or unique , I can find a name just as good in 30 seconds
    2) No back links on it
    3) No google/search engine rank..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I would agree rawhorny.com isn't the best. Ask on adultwebmasterbbs.com to see what it's worth...

• Advertisement

the words hard and horny dont gel or make as good english as raw horny...

it is clever due to the fact it makes good english, its two relative words that make sence and also very relative to an adult site, hardhorny? not so sure.

Its not unique you say? eh... its is

The fact it has no google listing or rank could be beneficial to someone interested in such a domain....:o

let me turn the question back at you .... how much do you think its worth ?

well nothing to me.... but someone looking for a catchy domain name.. well like anything... its only worth what someone is willing pay... which is what im try to find out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Might want to also by www.rawhornyprowrestlingmen.com while you are at it.

the words hard and horny dont gel or make as good english as raw horny...

it is clever due to the fact it makes good english, its two relative words that make sence and also very relative to an adult site, hardhorny? not so sure.

Its not unique you say? eh... its is

The fact it has no google listing or rank could be beneficial to someone interested in such a domain....:o

How much do you know about domains?

How much do you know about the adult web industry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I think it is worth the price you paid for it. Seriously, ask on adultwebmasterbbs.com or dnforum.com. They trade adult domains there.

Gordon wrote: »
    Might want to also by www.rawhornyprowrestlingmen.com while you are at it.

I'll give it a skip, if it's all the same with you :D

dublindude wrote: »
    I think it is worth the price you paid for it. Seriously, ask on adultwebmasterbbs.com or dnforum.com. They trade adult domains there.
    Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

My 2c's; domains go for all sort of crazy prices and domains i would have valued at nothing, have sold for thousands...

You've bought it with the intention of selling it. Do that, don't let it sit gathering dust and eventually expire.

Yeah it's a half decent domain. Not gonna make you millions, but you will see small profit. I'd say you'd get $20 for it even if you do nothing with it and sell it as a domain only.

It's all in the sales pitch :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

[ snip ] :)
    Put it on sedo.com and put it on offer so if you get a good offer just sell it.

Advertisement