Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

it burns, burns, burns

• 15-12-2007 11:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

hi

got a 360 as part of the argos offer in Oct

played it for a few days before putting everything back in the box until xmas

today decided to have another few hours on it

after a few songs on GH2, a few games on fifa and a look round the marketplace my tv screen went black and I got the ring of death :(

I've seen this thread about returning to m$ for repairs but just wondering as it's only 2 mths old would argos replace it instead?

anyone else been in this situ & had their console replaced by the seller?

thanx in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,258 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Only way to know is to bring it back to argos and see. Put on a sad face, explain it is for your kid for christmas (maybe it is, i dunno) and hope you don't gert a surly sob at the counter. Being christmas you might have a bit of luck.

I know GameStop used to replace consoles, but they have changed that policy recently from what i have been told.

Anyway, head to Argos tomorrow and see what happens. With them not being a dedicated games store, they mightne't have any tech knowledge, or any knowedge of any note about the 360, so they may replace it like they would any other item.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

It would be worth trying to get it replaced by Argos. It could take Microsoft 3-4 weeks to replace it around this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Tauren wrote: »
    ....Put on a sad face, explain it is for your kid for christmas

ahem, it is ;)

thanks for the replies

just wondering if i should remove the HD first seeing as I can't access it to reformat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

are you sure it's the ring of death? if the screen just went black in the middle of playing it may well just be a loose video connection which also causes the same thing

just wondering if i should remove the HD first seeing as I can't access it to reformat

i'd advise against it , you do that and you may as well kiss goodbye to your warranty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Sorry to hear your troubles thund3rbird - you're not alone.
    BFassassin wrote: »
    It would be worth trying to get it replaced by Argos. It could take Microsoft 3-4 weeks to replace it around this time of year.

What he said. Mine died on Sunday 24th Nov and it's due back 19 December.

You've got nothing to lose and Argos staff usually don't care once you've got a receipt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

If its a "ring of death" i.e. all 4 quadrents lit up, then its a loose connection and not dead.

mcgovern wrote: »
    If its a "ring of death" i.e. all 4 quadrents lit up, then its a loose connection and not dead.

3 of the 4 quadrants are red. the top right one is not.

have left it switched off for the past few hours so it's fully cooled down (wasn't hot when I first got the rings)

just turned it on now & the same.

have seen various links about sorting this with towels :rolleyes:
    can't imaging it permanently fixing the problem tho

I followed the instructions according to this site (among others) and get 0022 as the light sequence

this indicates "0022 GPU Error / GPU Overheating".

as it's been powered off for over 2 hours I can't imagine it being an overheating issue.

not sure if it's coincidence but I had just downloaded an update before it happened

off to argos then :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

3 of the 4 quadrants are red. the top right one is not.

have left it switched off for the past few hours so it's fully cooled down (wasn't hot when I first got the rings)

just turned it on now & the same.

have seen various links about sorting this with towels :rolleyes:
    can't imaging it permanently fixing the problem tho

I followed the instructions according to this site (among others) and get 0022 as the light sequence

this indicates "0022 GPU Error / GPU Overheating".

as it's been powered off for over 2 hours I can't imagine it being an overheating issue.

not sure if it's coincidence but I had just downloaded an update before it happened

off to argos then :(

Give the console a good wack on the top left corner (as your looking down on it lying horizontally) that will most likely fix it. Seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

miju wrote: »
    i'd advise against it , you do that and you may as well kiss goodbye to your warranty

You don't lose warrenty for removing your HDD its suppose to be detachable.

I'd advise you'd make a story to argos, say its for your son or nephew for christmas.

If they have any heart they will replace it.

Good luck

• Advertisement

i read the OP as saying actually removing from casing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Tauren wrote: »
    Only way to know is to bring it back to argos and see. Put on a sad face, explain it is for your kid for christmas (maybe it is, i dunno) and hope you don't gert a surly sob at the counter. Being christmas you might have a bit of luck.

I know GameStop used to replace consoles, but they have changed that policy recently from what i have been told.

Anyway, head to Argos tomorrow and see what happens. With them not being a dedicated games store, they mightne't have any tech knowledge, or any knowedge of any note about the 360, so they may replace it like they would any other item.

You don't need to put a sad face on to a replacement as long as you have a receipt, the store has to replace it under Irish law!

Your contract for purchase is with the store, not M$ so it is the stores obligation to replace it, not M$. The stores lie and break Irish law when they say they won't replace them so don't take that from them and ask to speak to a manager if they don't replace it and if he/she refuses, threaten them with the small claims court where you will win as they have broken Irish law with their policy.

Ms are actually doing people a favour by fixing consoles for them as your contract is with the store. They provide a one year warrany under EU law on the product which is the minimum. So the 3 year RROD warranty is extra to this because of the high number of failures which is basically an admission that their product has a design flaw and they know they'd be liable in the states if a class action lawsuit was taken against them so they offer this instead to make most people happy and it reduces the numbers and the so the strength of the case for any class action lawsuit that would be taken against them.

Know your rights!

exactly what brim4brim said ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

You can bring it back to argos and there shouldnt be a problem in getting a replacement if its within 30 days of sale.

After that it gets sent away for repairs, but argos in swords anyway...are very leaniant and accodmodating.

Our stores policy is after 30 days broken items are replaced, refunded to gift card or repaired, doesn't affect your rights.

So if it is within 30 days go back to argos and ask for a replacement, you can ask them to just swop the Hard drives for saved games no problem.

Also make sure that you replace everything, we found a link to red rings of death and power cables, the big brick boxes where causing problems.

If you have any trouble you can contact me through pm, i work in the branch in swords and should have no problem in having it replaced for you.

As for brims comment that is true, but some companies (microsoft, ipod, dyson) request that their products not be replaced and repaired through their own service. xboxs however we understand are consoles and used alot so we replace them.

But aslong as the consumer is briefed on all product changes, changes in warranty and repairing processes before purchase, and are fully educated on procedures, there is no law being broken.

This is represented by the massive 30 day money back poster in every argos behind customer service, or the measely microsoft word printouts in xtravisions and gamestops.

Each store has a repair date policy, be it usually 14-16 days, argos 30 days. After this you are not entitled to a cash refund, and in cases where products can be repaired, items do not have to be replaced instantly.

Helps to know your TRUE rights so you dont end up like the hundreds of ill informed people i deal with a month regarding consumer law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

brim4brim wrote: »
    You don't need to put a sad face on to a replacement as long as you have a receipt, the store has to replace it under Irish law!

Refund, replace or repair, isn't it? ... and repair would probably involve the console being sent off to MS anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

brim4brim wrote: »
    Your contract for purchase is with the store, not M$ so it is the stores obligation to replace it, not M$. The stores lie and break Irish law when they say they won't replace them so don't take that from them and ask to speak to a manager if they don't replace it and if he/she refuses, threaten them with the small claims court where you will win as they have broken Irish law with their policy.
    If something is faulty, you have the right to a repair, replacement or a refund at the discretion of the retailer. Once the retailer carries out one of the above three (within reason eg. it shouldn't take two months for a repair - if this is the case you'd be well in your right to demand a refund or replacement), they are following the law.

The reason for them directing the customer directly to Microsoft (or any manufacturer) is that quite often it's the quickest method of repair. Of course if you go and have a right bitch at the store they'll probably sort out the repair themselves but it'll take just as long to do, if not longer.

in argos some customers ask for the repair to get the new parts ( fans cooling that can be installed)

But it takes alot longer, plus we DO not consult with microsoft directly, its just sent back and repaired, cant put in requests for parts.

We replace games consoles though in my store because we realise its a gaming mahcine used alot and its frustrating.

Kensington wrote: »
    If something is faulty, you have the right to a repair, replacement or a refund at the discretion of the retailer. Once the retailer carries out one of the above three (within reason eg. it shouldn't take two months for a repair - if this is the case you'd be well in your right to demand a refund or replacement), they are following the law.

The reason for them directing the customer directly to Microsoft (or any manufacturer) is that quite often it's the quickest method of repair. Of course if you go and have a right bitch at the store they'll probably sort out the repair themselves but it'll take just as long to do, if not longer.

Not according to the Consumer Associations website. Nowhere does it mention that its at the retailers discretion. In fact, it states the opposite.
    Know your rights

Under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980, anything you buy from a retailer must be:
    of merchantable quality
    fit for its normal purpose, and reasonably durable
    as described, whether the description is part of the advertising or wrapping, on a label, or something said by the salesperson.
    When you buy goods from a retailer, you make a contract with him. He agrees to provide certain goods to you for a certain price. If your purchase turns out to be faulty, the retailer, not the manufacturer, is responsible to you and must sort out your complaint. You are entitled to a refund, a replacement or a repair.

You do not have to take a credit note if your complaint is covered by the Sale of Goods Act. You can insist on a refund, a replacement or a repair.

If you have a genuine complaint about faulty goods, you can ignore shop notices such as 'No Refunds' or 'No Exchanges'. Such notices cannot take away any of your statutory rights under the Sale of Goods Act see Retailers' responses.

Its all good and well that Ms say they want them sent in for repair but they weren't sold a faulty product so its none of their business as they aren't part of the contract the consumer has with the retailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

You do not have to take a credit note if your complaint is covered by the Sale of Goods Act. You can insist on a refund, a replacement or a repair.

Insisting on a refund, replacement or repair may be one choice out of a grand total of two choices - the other being to accept a credit note.

The wording is somewhat ambiguous.

brought the xbox into argos yesterday - exchanged no hassle

best of all - I got the HDMI version as the replacement :D:D:D

[DM]-TheDOC- thanks for the offer to help

• Advertisement

Fnz wrote: »
    Insisting on a refund, replacement or repair may be one choice out of a grand total of two choices - the other being to accept a credit note.

The wording is somewhat ambiguous.

I don't think its ambiguous at all.

It states that the user can insist on a refund, replacement or repair. Nowhere does it state that the retailer would be allowed to decide what is on offer and why would they be after selling faulty goods.

That phrasing is clear as day to me that it is the consumer that has done nothing wrong and being sold faulty goods choice, not the retailer who is selling faulty goods.

I've not looked into it but I'm sure this act is supposed to cover retailers who are knowingly selling faulty goods too and it would/should never be left up to the retailer to make the choice of refund, repair or credit note if they are knowingly selling faulty goods.

we have gone over this a million times tbh guys.

if the customer is informed of all changes in regarding their product before their purchase their goods it is end game.

Remember it is a CONTRACT between the consumer and the retailer. Retailers edit that contract, it is your job to fully understand that contract, once you pay and leave the store grounds with that item its over,

many shops have notices up about repairs, 14 day money back guarantees 14 days after sales repairs etc.

it is your job to ask when you buy.... stop being stupid and relying on a consumer law outdated, ambigous and useless.

A simple " sorry whats your replacement policy on 360's" before sale is sufficent

what the till staff say goes in the end when it comes down to it.

The people who come in spouting of consumer law, who dont work in retail, come over as idiots when e inform them of what that law actually means and what the whole " contract" means.

Dont go on consumer law as it gets you nothing, instead make your own requirements at the time of purchase.

And glad to hear the xbox was replaced :)

Advertisement