Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband - alternatives to chorus

• 15-12-2007 11:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭

I received a letter from chorus saying since they merged with NTL the bill for broadband would go up to 40 euro a month ( it was 35)

I don't have cable tv, just the bband

and don't have a landline

can any one recommend an alternative (cheaper preferably) or say what their experience is with the different providers

I see Carphone warehouse advertising clearwire - but I've heard bad things about them

and any time i looked at ripwave it ended up twice as expensive as the advert seemed to suggest

I only use it to browse , though I guess given time would download more stuff

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aidankk

ive got digiweb metro 3m for 35 a month and its excellent.. Much faster than smiliar isdn line as there is less contention..

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wjv

I have 3 and find it good. For E19.99 you can download 10GB (I've never reached that). Got it late summer and it cost E129.00 for modem and I had to sign for 12 months. You get an initial trial period to decide if it's for you. I must say I'm happy for the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Are you located in the city WJV? I'm just asking because I signed up for the 3 broadband earlier in the year and I found it to be truly awful for several months, especially during the Summer. It's improved a fair bit but I would be very slow to recommend it (or any of the other mobile broadband packages for that matter) to anyone. Watty on the Broadband forums seems to know what he's talking about and this is worth a read

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wjv

Oh dear!! I live very rural tho. I have heard quality all depends on the amount of customers online in an area. Maybe there are not as many here. I very rarely loose a connection, even yesterday and today it's been good. The idea of the trial period is to determine if it suits your usage. I don't download huge amounts of stuff. Certainly not recommending this, just giving my experiences ;)

Ah! I was just curious. I'm in town and it wasn't good at all during the Summer. There are a lot of houses around where i am so I suppose chances are that there are others around me who are also using the service - it seems to be better suited to rural areas.

Irish Broadband have a product called Ripwave. They're selling it in Dunnes and it costs something like €19 or €20 a month but it seems to have its problems as well.

If you use this site you can see what Broadband is available where you are. It's not an answer to your original question but it might give you something to go on .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 BricanaBarbie

I've got o2..pretty pricey..40 euro p.m but its really good..i use the net alot and i find the connection excellent..i would love a cheaper alternative but unfortunately im in a rural area..

I don't think the OP will get broadband any cheaper than €40pm. Eircom and BT are €50 to €60 a month. No matter what way you go, you'll always have to pay the €24 odd quid line rental. I've used broadband that comes through a fixed line and mobile broadband and there's no comparison. The dsl is much quicker and less likely to be affected by bad weather or too many users in the area.

Advertisement