Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice needed after crash

Options
  • 16-12-2007 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Had a crash last wednesday night and the other driver was in the wrong. I was stopped at a red light intending to go straight, when the light went green I proceeded, there was no other car infront of me. I glimpsed into my mirror because I wanted to change lanes and then one of my buddies shouts my name, looks forward and there was another car infront of me, I hit the brakes and the other car sped up to try and dodge me but it was to late and we went boom into eachother, called the gaurds and they took all our details.

I contacted the insurance company to inform them of what happened (to cover my own ass) and they said it will be me claiming off him and that someone will contact me within 24 hours. Then on friday morning got a phone call from this girl saying she works with quinn, asking had I got a quote for how much it will cost to repair the car, she rang me from a mobile which I found very strange after I had thought about it properly, she also rang the place where I got the quote. Anyway people have been telling me that this could all fly back and hit me in the face because I don't know yet for sure has the other driver admitted liability and all I say is that it's clear hes in the wrong (pic posted), he's insured by quinn and so am I and people are telling me that theyll try and take the cheapest way out of it.

Can someone please tell me how in gods name are ya supposed to handle this, I have no idea what to do or say and to be honest im startin to get real paranoid over the whole thing.

The cost to repair my car is €3100 - €3500, it's a '98 316

Any advice whatsoever would be really helpfull :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Eoin087

K for some reason I cant edit my posts :S. im after forgetting a few details, the car which crashed into me tried to cross to lanes of traffic (pic says it all)

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/5504/crashuw2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

if i was you i'd get written eye-witness accounts from anybody in the car, anybody who saw it, and of course a written detailed account from yourself which you could confidently stand over and defend in court.

the fact that quinn insures both drivers is unfortunate, but if you have a strong case you should be ok. don't ever expect that the insurance company will act in your interest and don't ever accept their first offer. their ideal solution would be to split the fault, take both of your NCBs and make you pay for each other's damages.

did the guy admit liability at the scene to you or a garda?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

so you werent looking where you were goin and its the other cars fault?

If the guy has a green ball he is supposed to move forward and take control of the junction; now if he crossed your path well then he is in the wrong yeah... why were you trying to change lane at the junction...

Anyway, whoever is at fault, Quinn will almost certainly try to say it was 50/50; that way you both lose your No Claim Bonus and they dont lose quite as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Eoin087

if i was you i'd get written eye-witness accounts from anybody in the car, anybody who saw it, and of course a written detailed account from yourself which you could confidently stand over and defend in court.

the fact that quinn insures both drivers is unfortunate, but if you have a strong case you should be ok. don't ever expect that the insurance company will act in your interest and don't ever accept their first offer. their ideal solution would be to split the fault, take both of your NCBs and make you pay for each other's damages.

did the guy admit liability at the scene to you or a garda?
    He admitted liability to me, don't know did he to the garda as they seperated us when talking to us, but the girl who rang me saying she worked for quinn told me that she spoke to the other driver just before speaking to me and that he informed her that I gave him the option of paying for it himself or for me to go through the insurance (is that admitting liability?)
    Tails142 wrote: »
    so you werent looking where you were goin and its the other cars fault?
    Do you look where you are going when you look into the mirror? :rolleyes: And yes it's the other drivers fault, can you not tell by the picture I linked to? There was a filter light there for a reason, he chose to go when he was not meant to and when there was oncoming traffic, which means that yes he crossed my path. And I wasn't trying to change lane in a junction, I was intending to change lane when I got off the junction ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

You had right of way once he was crossing your path.
    Get statements off your passengers.
    Wright a statement yourself.
    Did you get the guards name who dealt with the incident if so you are entitled to know what statement he made.
    Were you cautioned with dangerous driving was he.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

You are all 100% wrong about quinn going for a 50/50 no matter what.

The person who called you is a claims investigator. They do not work specifically for Quinn, they are contracted to work on files. They do not give a monkies about quinn making money by two people losing NCBs. They will be subjective and honest in their call on liability.

Advertisement