Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do i need a sound card ?

Options
  • 16-12-2007 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

i have a sound device called realtek ac'97 Audio, Is this good enough to continue playing games with or do i need to upgrade the sound card and if so which is good one >60.00 preferably ie. d9.0 c will i need speakers to go with this also, please advise

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

you need speakers for any sound be it a sound card, or the sound off the motherboard.

i never really saw a real need to get a sound card. the motherboard sound isnt bad at all.
    some of the older model boards were poor quality, but newer boards have pretty decent sound built into the motherboards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would tend to agree with Royalmarine. A dedicated sound card isn't really necessary these days for the average user, quality is decent enough. Though your sound is fairly basic, no game actually requires a dedicated sound card either, so if that was your sole angle then you don't have to worry. If you did opt for a better sound card, you'd really be looking at good speakers as well to actually gain any noticeable difference difference, so if you don't already have a good pair you're looking at at least double your budget.

Advertisement