Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you turn off your front Airbag?

Options
  • 16-12-2007 2:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭

Need to change the car. Is it standard now, that you can turn off the airbag in the front seat, so you can put a baby seat there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

BostonB wrote: »
    Need to change the car. Is it standard now, that you can turn off the airbag in the front seat, so you can put a baby seat there?

Its not available on our wee cars, possibly standard if you go high spec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Wee cars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It depends on the make and the model of the car as it is not a standard option.
    If it is not advailible then you will have to go to dealer's garage and get them to do it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

I heard that it may void your warranty if you have it done also, so check that first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It also may void your insurance, so check that out too. It's not advisable to put a babyseat in the front seat of a car either. Baby is much safer in the back, behind the passenger seat. So, if you are driving alone, you can see baby.

• Advertisement

It also may void your insurance, so check that out too. It's not advisable to put a babyseat in the front seat of a car either. Baby is much safer in the back, behind the passenger seat. So, if you are driving alone, you can see baby.

How can you see the baby if they are in a rear facing seat? Dealer says its not possible to do, (or won't do it) on our the car we intended to use. The rear seats have this belt locking mechanism which make it a pain to fit our baby seat. TBH its a pain for adults aswell. As a consequence we'll be changing that car and want to make sure the replacement has the option. Our other car has no passenger airbag, but its a small two door so its not suitable either. Safest place for a seat is probably middle of the middle row. But if you have 2 or more baby seats, child seats, and 2 or more adults on a regular basis. You have to make compromises, for practicality. I was kinda hoping if people have that option (as think some cars have it as standard) they'd post saying which cars have it. We'll probably get a MPV of some sort, Galaxy or similar. 3 full sized seats in the rear is the objective. I've not seen it mentioned on an insurance policy, or ever been asked about it. So I guess its something to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

How can you see the baby if they are in a rear facing seat?

You buy one of those mirrors that attachs to the back seat and then you can easily see the baby in your rear view mirror.

Forgot about the mirror. I'm not entirely convinced that a baby is always less distracting in the rear than in the front. But it depends on circumstance. With a MPV they'll all fit easier in the back, anyway.

Of course theres also curtain airbags front and back in some cars now, can't find much info on fitting a baby seat beside them either. Other than you should check the force exerted by the airbags and get a child seat thats rated to take that impact. I don't have any details on it though.

Just out of curiosity. We all know the back seat is considered safer because frontal impacts are most common. Also because your close to the center of the vehicle. All of which makes perfect sense. But the thought occurred to me, has anyone seen any detail on these stats though. Because I've read vague comments that rear impacts are more common in urban areas. When I thought about it I do remember a few accidents where passengers in the back were worse off then those in the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you can turn it off in the Renault Scenic - its a switch and is easy to do - no need to take it to a dealer. Having said that, children are generally safer in the back.

as it happens I'm selling a low-mileage Scenic
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=35255&cat=2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

We have a 2005 Toyota Corolla Verso which has a nice front passenger airbag switch.

After a few months driving it around we got a lovely letter from Toyota:

"We hope you're enjoying your Toyota...
    From time to time we become aware of issues...
    ... due to a programming error, the front passenger airbag switch does not turn off the front passenger airbag, instead it turns off the driver's seatbelt restraint"

So... if we were in an accident, not only would baby be wiped out by the airbag, the driver's seatbelt restraint would have been deactivated meaning the driver would have been wiped out also!!! Thankfully our child was in the back anyway.

Toyota fixed the problem, obviously at no cost.

So, if you get a Corolla Verso, make sure that this issue has been corrected!

• Advertisement

I've not seen it mentioned on an insurance policy, or ever been asked about it. So I guess its something to check.

You've not seen it mentioned because it's up to you, the proposer, to mention any fact that may compromise your insurance. If you have someone travelling in your car (in the front seat when baby is not travelling with you), and you are involved in an accident and that person decides to sue you (claim off your insurance for personal damage), then your insurance may be compromised because you switched off the airbag without telling the insurance company.

Basically you have to mention anything you think may be of importance to the insurance company, whether it matters or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

You should not compromise safety over practicality. Children especially young ones that need to be in a rear facing car seat are safer in the back seat (vast majority of impacts are from the front).

You've not seen it mentioned because it's up to you, the proposer, to mention any fact that may compromise your insurance. If you have someone travelling in your car (in the front seat when baby is not travelling with you), and you are involved in an accident and that person decides to sue you (claim off your insurance for personal damage), then your insurance may be compromised because you switched off the airbag without telling the insurance company.

Basically you have to mention anything you think may be of importance to the insurance company, whether it matters or not.

Since airbags are often optional equipment, like many other safety aids, I don't remember ever been asked does a car have them, and being given a reduction in the premium if I do. Do you get asked do you have electronic aids or anything else?

FatherTed wrote: »
    You should not compromise safety over practicality. Children especially young ones that need to be in a rear facing car seat are safer in the back seat (vast majority of impacts are from the front).

One statistic I saw was 61% and like I said earlier it must depend on the type of driving, IE motorway, urban, rural etc. Where are you getting your stats, "vast" majority from?

Since airbags are often optional equipment, like many other safety aids, I don't remember ever been asked does a car have them, and being given a reduction in the premium if I do. Do you get asked do you have electronic aids or anything else?

That information is usually gathered from the VIN number. The VIN number will be tied to the make and model which will have all that information and in turn becauses a parameter in the rating engine based on how safe the car is. Having air bags would normally reduce injury and as such hospital bills, therefore a better car rating. An insurance company wouldn't have to ask for that kind of information once they have the VIN though.

Kernel32 wrote: »
    That information is usually gathered from the VIN number. The VIN number will be tied to the make and model which will have all that information and in turn becauses a parameter in the rating engine based on how safe the car is. Having air bags would normally reduce injury and as such hospital bills, therefore a better car rating. An insurance company wouldn't have to ask for that kind of information once they have the VIN though.

Yet your never asked for a Vin number when getting a quotation?

Yet your never asked for a Vin number when getting a quotation?

But you are asked for a Make and Model and Year. Then when the policy is written you supply a VIN number. If the VIN number matches a different make, model and year the the policy will be requoted because basically you are cheating.

But you are asked for a Make and Model and Year. Then when the policy is written you supply a VIN number. If the VIN number matches a different make, model and year the the policy will be requoted because basically you are cheating.

Perhaps they check the Micra they quote for isn't really a M3. But I doubt it, based on the odd questions I've been asked. Like a coupe being listed a s 4 dr etc. But if theres optional airbags and other optional safety aids you are never asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

OP - your car dealer advised you that you can't turn off the airbag, I reckon he knows better than people on this forum.

61% is a considerable majority.

Middle seat in the rear is not the safest.

Why do you need to see your baby when you are driving? If your baby gets upset or you are concerned about it, the time it takes you to pull over to the side of the road is probably no longer than it would take you to run upstairs and check on your little one when you are downstairs. It is probably safer for you not to be continually distracted by your baby.

It is unlikely that your insurance would be voided if you disconnect the airbags (but its pretty simple to ring them up and ask them).

You're not asked because it's up to yourself to mention it.
    Material Facts
    A fact that would influence the mind of a prudent insurer in deciding whether to accept a proposed insurance and, if so, on what terms.

A material fact is any fact or circumstance that which would affect the judgement of an insurer in considering:
    • whether or not to accept the risk
    • if willing to accept the risk, at what rate of premium and on what terms and conditions.

How do you as an Insured know what an underwriter may regard as ‘material’?
    If in doubt as to whether some piece of information is relevant, tell insurers anyway.

You don't have to mention anything that lessens the risk, like the fact that you could have a monitored security alarm on your house (although most places give discounts for it), but you do bear the responsibility for telling the insurance company anything that increases the risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

One statistic I saw was 61% and like I said earlier it must depend on the type of driving, IE motorway, urban, rural etc. Where are you getting your stats, "vast" majority from?

Statistics from the US NHTSA FARS database:

Passenger Cars Involved in Fatal Crashes by Initial Point of Impact
    Front 60.1
    Left Side 13.9
    Right Side 12.2
    Rear 6.6
    Other/Unknown 7.1
    http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicles/VehiclesPassengerCars.aspx

Also,
    Passenger Car Occupants Killed, by Seating Position
    Front Seat 7,811 Left 6,027 Middle 5 Right 1,778
    Second Seat 507 Left 197 Middle 48 Right 262

So taking into account that US cars are left hand drive, 1,778 people were killed in the passenger seat as opposed to 507 in the rear/second seat.

http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/People/PeopleRestraints.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭witchywoman

young children are safest in a rear facing child seat in the back of your car, its not necessary to see the child, and might even be a distraction to you if your constantly checking the child .dont even think about having an airbag disanbled, it could be the one mechanism that saves your life in an accident.i have seen people carry a small child in the front seat and always wondered how they factored in the airbag, obviously, most dont.just buy a new car seat if you are worried and fit it in the back, i carried 2 small babies, twins from birth in rear facing seats without a problem, and graduated to the child version at age one.

High&Low wrote: »
    OP - your car dealer advised you that you can't turn off the airbag, I reckon he knows better than people on this forum.

Its not unusual for a dealer to be wrong. In my experience.
    61% is a considerable majority.

My point really was the stats shouldn't be taken at face value, and are worth looking at more closely.
    Middle seat in the rear is not the safest.

If you are going to make a statement of fact please I'd like a link.
    Why do you need to see your baby when you are driving? If your baby gets upset or you are concerned about it, the time it takes you to pull over to the side of the road is probably no longer than it would take you to run upstairs and check on your little one when you are downstairs. It is probably safer for you not to be continually distracted by your baby.

Your assuming theres only one. Perhaps theres two child seats, a baby seat and two adults. etc.
    It is unlikely that your insurance would be voided if you disconnect the airbags (but its pretty simple to ring them up and ask them).

True. Asking them their policy on optional driving aids, safety aids like airbags would be interesting. Does paying for these extra decrease your premium? Does turning anyof them off invalidate your insurance?

You're not asked because it's up to yourself to mention it.

You don't have to mention anything that lessens the risk, like the fact that you could have a monitored security alarm on your house (although most places give discounts for it), but you do bear the responsibility for telling the insurance company anything that increases the risk.

So in the case of cars where the airbag can be turned on or off by the owner themselves. You should tell them you'll be turning it on or off as required? Or traction control or some other driver aid.

young children are safest in a rear facing child seat in the back of your car, its not necessary to see the child, and might even be a distraction to you if your constantly checking the child .dont even think about having an airbag disanbled, it could be the one mechanism that saves your life in an accident.i have seen people carry a small child in the front seat and always wondered how they factored in the airbag, obviously, most dont.just buy a new car seat if you are worried and fit it in the back, i carried 2 small babies, twins from birth in rear facing seats without a problem, and graduated to the child version at age one.

A lot of cars don't have airbags, or only have them on the driver side. The problem for me isn't the child/baby seat its the design of the belts, so I'm changing the cars. I just wondered which cars airbags you can turn off. Then I got to thinking how come this is never asked about by the insurance companies? Modified stereo, wheels yes. Optional airbags? Airbag turned off? Don't care. etc. Then I got to thinking the accident stats that are usually quoted as gospel don't account for different road type use. I was also thinking of accidents I've heard of where the rear passengers came of worse in accidents.

FatherTed wrote: »
    Statistics from the US NHTSA FARS database:

Passenger Cars Involved in Fatal Crashes by Initial Point of Impact
    Front 60.1
    Left Side 13.9
    Right Side 12.2
    Rear 6.6
    Other/Unknown 7.1
    http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicles/VehiclesPassengerCars.aspx

Also,
    Passenger Car Occupants Killed, by Seating Position
    Front Seat 7,811 Left 6,027 Middle 5 Right 1,778
    Second Seat 507 Left 197 Middle 48 Right 262

So taking into account that US cars are left hand drive, 1,778 people were killed in the passenger seat as opposed to 507 in the rear/second seat.

http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/People/PeopleRestraints.aspx

Perhaps I'm misreading them. But it seems to me that those stats don't differenciate between 1 or more people in the car. So where theres no one in the back, thats still included in the numbers?

Also theres no mention of the relation ship between area type, road type and the stats. It is curious that the stats change depending on which state you pick. One with many big cities vs one with few big cities.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I've never been asked for my VIN with any insurer.

OP - cars that do have airbag deactivation switches include VW Golf, Peugeot 307 (all variants), Renault Scenic (certainly 04 + ), Citroen Xsara ( 99+ )

Most Rock-a-tot style car seats seem to be designed for the front passenger seat (most room) and hence the warnings to turnoff your airbag if a rear-facing seat is fitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

parsi, the carseats come with a warning about deactivating airbags because they have to carry that warning, it does not mean they should be used in the front seat.

OP, would you always remember to switch the front passenger airbag on/off before and after every little journey, to suit whichever passenger is using the seat? I doubt it. You'd probably remember to check it was off for the baby but then forget all about turning it back on for an adult passenger (easily done). Personally, I'd rather have a working airbag, and leave it alone knowing that it will work in an emergency. The switch could become faulty over time and how would you know?

The safest position in the car (in my opinion) is behind the passenger. Firstly, if you need to pull in at the side of the road to tend to the child, then you will not have a door and your backside sticking out into the road, and you will be taking a child out onto the verge/path not into the traffic. Also, rear in general is safest, aside from the airbag issue and the being closer to the centre of gravity of the car issue. Direct frontal impacts are likely to be at higher speed than a bump in the rear when stopping at traffic lights or turning, and a clip to the side of the car from yourself or another car coming from a side road is more likely to hit the front wing (either driver or passenger side). There's also the fact that in a major, high-speed accident on a main road, the child in the rear behind the passenger seat will be furthest from the point of impact and less likely to have objects protruding into their space. And yes, these are facts. If I could be bothered I'd dig up my old college notes and project work, but I can't. You can Google away for yourself (there was one very good paper (by an American Masters/PhD student) that I remember reading, a study of child injuries and deaths in RTA's).

dame wrote: »
    ...Direct frontal impacts are likely to be at higher speed than a bump in the rear when stopping at traffic lights or turning....

Good point.
    dame wrote: »
    If I could be bothered I'd dig up my old college notes and project work, but I can't. You can Google away for yourself (there was one very good paper (by an American Masters/PhD student) that I remember reading, a study of child injuries and deaths in RTA's).

Pity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement