Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wheel knocking

Options
  • 16-12-2007 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    for the last month or so I've had a knock in the back left wheel. It developed over a week or so from a slight quiet sound, to something that rattles and jitters over every bump or manhole cover. I thought it needed new bushings, so got the mechanic to sort it while it was out to him for a new starter. Pop brought it back in, with the same sound. He said the mechanic replaced the bushing, and said that the sound wasn't from it, but that it wasn't a serious problem, not worth worrying about. But that still didn't tell me what it was. He's now off on holiday, so I'm wondering what could be the source of the rattle? Only happens going over bumps.
    '97 Fiesta. Cheers,
    WP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

Wouldn't really have much of a clue but if it's only bumps it might be your tyre ruibbing of something or something wrong with the suspension.
    Get a good mechanic to drive it and they should know what it is pretty quick.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

My girlfriends car is the same. We found an old spark plug floating around under the carpet in the boot that was the culprit. Maybe yours is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

same as above ...golf ball.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

yeah clean it out and eliminate the obvious stuff, other than that it can be worn out suspention, bushings, wheel bearings etc., if he couldnt figure it out then hes not the type of person you want messing with your car.,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Could be an anti roll bar bushing or in side in the shock hard to say without seeing it but get it checked out if your worried but if hes any sort of a good mechanic you shouldnt have anything to worry about make sure the wheel is tight after that nothing is gonna fall off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Aye, I should have made it clearer. I'm getting this all second hand from dad who brought the car out, and back. The mechanic's proficient, but I think he meant that the problem causing the noise is fine, and just brushed it off.
    It's like leaving the car unlocked in the middle of the country. Sure, it's better to be locked, but in reality it's grand. Seeing as I know dick all about cars, I figure he just said it like that instead of giving me the technicalities of what exactly is causing the knock.
    And the boot's empty, cheers though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

wet-paint wrote: »
    Aye, I should have made it clearer. I'm getting this all second hand from dad who brought the car out, and back. The mechanic's proficient, but I think he meant that the problem causing the noise is fine, and just brushed it off.
    It's like leaving the car unlocked in the middle of the country. Sure, it's better to be locked, but in reality it's grand. Seeing as I know dick all about cars, I figure he just said it like that instead of giving me the technicalities of what exactly is causing the knock.
    And the boot's empty, cheers though.

but you left it in secifically to fix the knocking? knocking isnt normal so dont be fooled by him saying "its grand".,

Advertisement